Thai University

Maybe it's good most people think Thai universities are so bad. This keeps attendance low and prices down. One day people will realize how much money they could save while getting a quality education in Thailand and my advantage will end. I should be grateful it's not that day yet. I'm saving a fortune in Thailand. I will graduate with a bachelors and a masters degree in Thailand, have no educational debt and will have learned the same thing that is taught in the USA without the spin on it on how the USA is so great. What an awesome time to study in Thailand!!!wai2.gif

All well and good until you try and get a job wink.png

RAZZ

For sure! Then it get's better. We get hired! thumbsup.gif

If you honestly believe that a prospective employer in the USA or anywhere else in the world would look favourably upon a Thai University degree, as compared to a one earnt in "The West"...you haven't learnt very much! laugh.png

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

I honestly don't believe that MOST employers give a rat's-behind where a person has gotten their degree. Other than a few very pretentious employers, most employers wouldn't know one university from another. With the exception of a few of the big named Ivy-league schools, most people recognize the names of the schools.

Chances are if you graduate from a Thai University, the first question they would ask is "Do you speak Chinese?"

• Like 1

In Thailand the University you attended is quite important I think, as they realise which Thai universities have high standards, and which ones have more relaxed standards required to pass

I think it'd either be a bonus if you attended a university which the employer thought was really good, or a negative if the employer thought that the university you attended was of very low quality, with 90% of universities falling in between, so the employer probably wouldn't really care too much. Some may think that Thailand universities are in the lower quality bracket, (Unless you were at one of the internationally ranked universities and could show them), however they may also appreciate Thai language skills and the maturity/independence that you'd develop from having lived overseas for a few years.

Maybe it's good most people think Thai universities are so bad. This keeps attendance low and prices down. One day people will realize how much money they could save while getting a quality education in Thailand and my advantage will end. I should be grateful it's not that day yet. I'm saving a fortune in Thailand. I will graduate with a bachelors and a masters degree in Thailand, have no educational debt and will have learned the same thing that is taught in the USA without the spin on it on how the USA is so great. What an awesome time to study in Thailand!!!wai2.gif

All well and good until you try and get a job wink.png

RAZZ

For sure! Then it get's better. We get hired! thumbsup.gif

If you honestly believe that a prospective employer in the USA or anywhere else in the world would look favourably upon a Thai University degree, as compared to a one earnt in "The West"...you haven't learnt very much! laugh.png

RAZZ

I've learned enough to know that you don't know what you are talking about.

Interesting comments and insights about on this topic.

The comparision of education between the western universities and Thai programs was interesting..I liked... even when you are charged the international rate, the price is still quite low compared to the west.

One concern about this issue centers around if the Thai University degree , Bachelor's or Master's would past the spec for a position in the western setting?

As posters have mentioned some programs in the USA acknowledge the Thai degree, yet there is speculation about what a Western or American Employers might accept for a position that requires an Master's degree.

In my opinion, if one is seeking a graduate degree and plans to work in Thailand, this should be no problem.. of course, beware of the buy your degree unis up Khon Kaen way.. what was the name of the school? NOT KKU as they are a fine institution..

Friends have ask me about studying for the MATEFL. in Thailand, International program..... will the the degree transfer in the USA and the answer is NO..and it depends which state you plan to teach, as each state has their own creditial review. However, if the person is planning to teach in Thailand, then, it is low to the ground for speed...

The debate continues, studying in a Thai university has an obvious advantages, such as cost, native fluency in speaking, reading, and writing for class work activities, and cultural exchange. Some Thai university teachers welcome this and some do not.. It must be quite frustrating as a student, if you are the only person who understands the readings, and can converse with the instructor regarding the topic.

I would think the undergraduate experience, such as an exchange program would be a memorable time. Much to learn, much to experience, and much more life seasoning. On the Graduate level, students are older and tend to need the degree to further their employment opportunities...thus the focus is quite different.

Thus in the end.. what matters if you looking for a job, is what your potential employer requires.. thus check it out first..thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Interesting comments and insights about on this topic.

The comparision of education between the western universities and Thai programs was interesting..I liked... even when you are charged the international rate, the price is still quite low compared to the west.

One concern about this issue centers around if the Thai University degree , Bachelor's or Master's would past the spec for a position in the western setting?

As posters have mentioned some programs in the USA acknowledge the Thai degree, yet there is speculation about what a Western or American Employers might accept for a position that requires an Master's degree.

In my opinion, if one is seeking a graduate degree and plans to work in Thailand, this should be no problem.. of course, beware of the buy your degree unis up Khon Kaen way.. what was the name of the school? NOT KKU as they are a fine institution..

Friends have ask me about studying for the MATEFL. in Thailand, International program..... will the the degree transfer in the USA and the answer is NO..and it depends which state you plan to teach, as each state has their own creditial review. However, if the person is planning to teach in Thailand, then, it is low to the ground for speed...

The debate continues, studying in a Thai university has an obvious advantages, such as cost, native fluency in speaking, reading, and writing for class work activities, and cultural exchange. Some Thai university teachers welcome this and some do not.. It must be quite frustrating as a student, if you are the only person who understands the readings, and can converse with the instructor regarding the topic.

I would think the undergraduate experience, such as an exchange program would be a memorable time. Much to learn, much to experience, and much more life seasoning. On the Graduate level, students are older and tend to need the degree to further their employment opportunities...thus the focus is quite different.

Thus in the end.. what matters if you looking for a job, is what your potential employer requires.. thus check it out first..thumbsup.gif

I think you bring up an interesting point. Working in the west. If this is your goal, maybe you should get a degree there. Knowing the rules of the land you're working in or plan to work in can be picked up on as you go through your 4 to 6 years at a university. Then when you finish maybe you can get a job there. However, for Thai people who plan to come back to Thailand and not work overseas, I think they waste their money leaving Thailand to study. International programs are good enough to teach them how to be competitive in ASEAN market. After all, with the free movement of labor, the opportunities for Thai people is no longer limited to Thailand.

for Thai people who plan to come back to Thailand and not work overseas, I think they waste their money leaving Thailand to study. International programs are good enough to teach them how to be competitive in ASEAN market.

I certainly agree with you on that point. Many Thai students studying abroad (a friend of the wife's who recently did an MA in the UK springs to mind) appear to leave with precious little improvement in their overall level of English (spoken or written) than they arrived with and have had precious little interaction with the local populace, hanging out exclusively with Thai and Chinese students. She might just as profitably, and far more cheaply, have studied on an international programme in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

Thus Richard, would you know if class credits would transfer from a school abroad to a Thai University? Once I had asked a Prof from a graduate program, said it was comming soon. but in reality, the mechanism are not there. It depends of the unis of course.. some.....for example among Malaysian

universities UPM USM some undergraduate classes will transfer.

Thus Richard, would you know if class credits would transfer from a school abroad to a Thai University? Once I had asked a Prof from a graduate program, said it was comming soon. but in reality, the mechanism are not there. It depends of the unis of course.. some.....for example among Malaysian

universities UPM USM some undergraduate classes will transfer.

At my university, the program being transferred

1. Has to match up with the program being taught here at least 75% in order for it to be accepted.
  2. Has to be a grade of C or better
  3. Must be from an accredited university which is accredited by the governmental body that accredits universities in the country where the university is located
  4. The credits transferred does not count towards any type of honors or GPA
  5. Students must study at my university for at least 1 year
  6. We don't accept more than 75% of the credits from another university.

For example, if you took a basic math course in the states and want to transfer those credits so you don't have to take it again, we would need a description of the course, from the curriculum. It would be compared to the course we are teaching here as part of the degree program the student is applying for. This is done by the department head. If the department head believes the course description matches up with our program at least 75% we will award the credit. If not, the student has to take the class.