Eating Out In Pattaya - My Opinion

RandomSand

Haven been here for a while, I understand. I have a problem with under cooked eggs, especially when they're fried. I'm not talking about the yolk per say, but they way they sometimes cook it, the bottom is totally burned, but the top has running eggs whites -- yes the egg white part is sometimes runny. I'm not picky regarding the actual yolk. Anyways, Sip cafe on Sukhumvit and Pattaya Klang is usually a win and so is Thip's cafe on Pattaya Klang and 3rd Road. Thip's sometimes has small portion but their price point can't really be beat.

"Also; it's rare to be served vegetables with butter and even rarer to be given a black pepper grinder.

...... Meagre portions of baked beans or chips."

Baked beans and potatoes are both quite expensive and also quite poor quality here, presumably due to them being imported. I think the same probably applies to proper black pepper. They could put a knob of butter on vegetables here, and some places do, though you have to remember that the local way of preparing vegetables is stir-fry/broiling with a little oil. And there's nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

In spite of what others might say you do not need to spend more than 200B to get a decent western meal here. You just need to look harder for the right places. I hardly ever spend more than 200B on a non-buffet style western meal, not that I eat them very often.

'Proper' black pepper comes from Thailand, hence the name - prik Thai dam (prik is pepper, dam is black). Chillies are called prik farang as they didn't have them until the missionaries brought them over a few hundred years ago.

Regarding fusion, a regular favourite of mine is pad prik gaeng with french fries. Always gets a funny look, and the staff normally stare when you eat it, but bloody nice! Hard bit is trying to get the curry and chips to arrive at the SAME time....

Baked beans and potatoes are both quite expensive and also quite poor quality here, presumably due to them being imported. I think the same probably applies to proper black pepper.

'Proper' black pepper comes from Thailand, hence the name - prik Thai dam (prik is pepper, dam is black).

In that case it would be cheap here?

It looks like Thailand is not much of a producing country, which would appear to confirm my initial thoughts:

http://www.ipcnet.org/?p=about&sp=his&act=

Edited by BlackPuddingBertha

Haven been here for a while, I understand. I have a problem with under cooked eggs, especially when they're fried. I'm not talking about the yolk per say, but they way they sometimes cook it, the bottom is totally burned, but the top has running eggs whites -- yes the egg white part is sometimes runny. I'm not picky regarding the actual yolk. Anyways, Sip cafe on Sukhumvit and Pattaya Klang is usually a win and so is Thip's cafe on Pattaya Klang and 3rd Road. Thip's sometimes has small portion but their price point can't really be beat.

Thips is not bad but difficult to access. Would be hard to find a worse location than Thips. With eggs probably better to get them done both sides.

Baked beans and potatoes are both quite expensive and also quite poor quality here, presumably due to them being imported. I think the same probably applies to proper black pepper.

'Proper' black pepper comes from Thailand, hence the name - prik Thai dam (prik is pepper, dam is black).

In that case it would be cheap here?

It looks like Thailand is not much of a producing country, which would appear to confirm my initial thoughts:

http://www.ipcnet.or...out&sp=his&act=

I find black pepper to be cheap here. We get it in the peppercorn form and grind it ourselves. Wanna think be pay about 20thb for a bag of black peppercorn. They also have white peppercorn here as well and of course fresh peppercorn which is green and still on the stems.

from wiki on peppercorn

As of 2008, Vietnam is the world's largest producer and exporter of pepper, producing 34% of the world's Piper nigrum. Other major producers include India (19%), Brazil (13%), Indonesia (9%), Malaysia (8%), Sri Lanka (6%), China (6%), and Thailand (4%).
Edited by Jayman

I do not know what it is with eggs in Thailand, they tend to be small and do not fry well, either they are under cooked, yolk solid but the white is not all cooked or overdone with a taste and feel of latex.