Rubber Casters

harrry

I do not know where to post this but I guess an electric wheelchair is a vehicle so I can start here.

I need some solid neoprene or rubber tyres for the casters of my wheelchair. If I import the caster assemblies it will cost me about 15000baht for a set.

They could easily be turned out of a 6 inch disk of 2 inch thick material.

Does anyone know if this is possible. If they do know about how much would be fair. It would be most useful to know if they cold be made in Chiangrai or ChiangMai.

Rubber might be tough, but we make rollers out of round nylon occasionally. They sell the material in minimum 1 meter lengths though, not sure about 6", but I'm sure we've used 5", it costed 2-3K a meter if I remember correctly. Shop around, if you can find the material, any of the little machine shops around town should be able copy what you have. It's a lot easier to make casters from round-stock then flat stock.

Rubber might be tough, but we make rollers out of round nylon occasionally. They sell the material in minimum 1 meter lengths though, not sure about 6", but I'm sure we've used 5", it costed 2-3K a meter if I remember correctly. Shop around, if you can find the material, any of the little machine shops around town should be able copy what you have. It's a lot easier to make casters from round-stock then flat stock.

thanks for that. It supports what I thought it may be possible with a lathe to turn replacement tyres. After all they are just a 6 inch round with a 4.5 in centre cut out and a kittle grouve to sit in the rim along the inside edge. Anyone have more ideas on material which can be turned and provide some wear and flex like rubber.

Don't they sell casters in Global House?

Yes

But what I require is the rubber tyre which fits a specific model of wheelchair. I can import them as a complete wheel. As I said the cost of a set with this is 15000 to 20000 baht. I think I can do a lot better getting it made here.

Edited by harrry

Why not just turn a whole new one piece wheel and replace the whole thing? That's what we do.

None of the hospitals have anything?

If I did turn I new wheel......or actually four of them. It would require them being fitted with roller bearings...large on one side and small on the other. I think it would be a lot more work than simply bolting the existing rim which is split in two halves and fitted with the right bearings allready.

Of course if I import the four of them I have to import them as a complete assembly. What would concern me about nylon is that I am not sure whether it is too hard and will chip when going over stones and kerbs etc.

If nylon would take this it would be a good way.

Are these castors or drive wheels, or "steering" wheels? Nylon won't chip, and it wears well, but it will not provide any real traction.

If you have press-in bearings now, there is no reason you can't have the nylon wheel counter-bored to accept the bearings you already have.

Any shop with a lathe (and they are all over) can do this.

They are not drive wheels. The chair is an Invacare Centre drive. They go on the corners of the chair to provide balance but also have a major role in jumping small curbs. I do not think traction is a problem.

Thanks for all your help with this.

Saying something is nylon is like saying something is steel. There are dozens of different grade nylon.

Well what kind would you recomend. I had thought something similar to Polyamide-6 would be ok. but if you can suggest what to use and where to get it here please tell me.

Edited by harrry

In Ubon we have a big DIY store called Watsidu, or spelled similar smile.png , that has many types and sizes of wheels with tyres. Just a thought that you had a similar store near you. thumbsup.gif

The casters on the chair are two inches wide. Even with these grates etc here are are a bit problematic. All the casters or wheels I have found here are only an inch or so wide. These would be too narrow even if I could change the bearings. Ideally I would like a bit wider than 2 inch and this may be possible with turning them.

All I have to do now is to find a supplier of nylon. I have seen a few places with lathes....I do not think fully constructed mag wheels would make good casters sad.png