Cheap Multimeter In Chiang Mai

haybilly

Hi Honourable Members,

anyone know where I can buy a cheap electrical testing meter--a multimeter,

I have yet to try Amorn but this would be my first thought--anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks, in advance.

I enclose a photo of what I'm after--though a cheaper version would be fine.post-55156-0-53246300-1352507756_thumb.j

I found an inexpensive one at Global house for about 250 Baht I believe. Works fine for small jobs.

I also got one from Global House for about that price and has been working for years. But Amorn will certainly have a better selection I suspect.

I bought a cheapie from amorn several years ago and it has served me well.

Those Unitrends UT-xxx have come a long way and represent very good value for money. Amazing what you can get for under 1000B. Global sells

some Kyoritsu gear, which is one of the best of the Japanese makers.

Its the shop next to Icon Computer Plaza, north side of the moat near KSK. Sells various electronics alongside biscuits, chocolate and other obvious food items to find in an electronics shop.

Thanks. I like chocolate, will check this place out. smile.png

Its the shop next to Icon Computer Plaza, north side of the moat near KSK. Sells various electronics alongside biscuits, chocolate and other obvious food items to find in an electronics shop.

Thanks. I like chocolate, will check this place out. smile.png

They also have branches on the groundfloor of BigC Extra & BigC Hangdong road. But w/o the chocolate, I think

ThaiVisa strikes again--thanks for all the helpful answers--hadn't thought of Global House, will have a look at them and Amorn. Can go via Big C and on to Global, sweet.

This is really where ThaiVisa comes into it's own--folks who have first hand info giving it to others who don't--I much prefer this aspect to the sniping and bitching that occasionally occurs.

Does a multi-meter test the electric current and display in volts or amps?

How is it used in the home?

What about a "spot-meter" - a gizmo that can read how much current is being used by a particular appliance (refrigerator, air conditioner, steam iron, vacuum cleaner, etc.) 220--240V, of course.

Does Amorn Electronics carry such an item?

Does a multi-meter test the electric current and display in volts or amps?

It can measure both - but don't select one went you want to measure the other - it will likely emit smoke!

How is it used in the home?

It can also measure resistance: connect it across your partners nipples to see what mood they are in today biggrin.png [N.B. don't try this if they have a pacemaker....]

What about a "spot-meter" - a gizmo that can read how much current is being used by a particular appliance (refrigerator, air conditioner, steam iron, vacuum cleaner, etc.) 220--240V, of course.

You can do this with a multimeter, but you have to interrupt one of the supply wires to measure the current - not recommended if you don't know what you are doing?

A clamp meter can be used non invasively to measure current, but again you need to separate out a supply wire. Easier used on distribution boards etc than individual appliances.

A portable Appliance Tester (PAT) is the easiest solution for checking home appliances, it will test safety as well as current consumption. But they are more expensive and not a home user type tool.

Does Amorn Electronics carry such an item?

They likely have clamp meters, don't know about PATs - the concept of electrical safety is rather alien in Thailand. Maybe not so much demand.

• Like 1

Yes, Amorn also does have (did have) amp clamps for a few hundred baht as well as brand name ones for 2-3k I think. Some also have multimeters built in today.

Sucking eggs aside and for reference for non-sparkies, always check the meter across a known source before testing and also periodically resistance test the leads (should be 0 Ohmns).

Yes, Amorn also does have (did have) amp clamps for a few hundred baht as well as brand name ones for 2-3k I think. Some also have multimeters built in today.

Sucking eggs aside and for reference for non-sparkies, always check the meter across a known source before testing and also periodically resistance test the leads (should be 0 Ohmns).

Hangond Road Big C Amorn has the Unitrends UT-233 I think, 3 phase clamp meter for a tad over 6k Baht, I think the one in town had cheaper less fancy ones. Global had a digital and a mechanical Kyoritsu clamp meter

and to check the fuse, move the COM (black) lead to the Amps input (leaving the V (red) lead where it is) and put the meter on either continuity or ohms, touch the probes together and it should read close to 0ohms and/or beep if the fuse is good.

and keep 1 hand in your pocket.

there is some good reference (and marketing) stuff on the fluke website.

How can a homeowner in Chiang Mai with 4,000-baht monthly electric bills determine the amount of kilowatts being consumed by each major appliance each month? Looking for good scientific measurements to support my guesses.

One way to do it, not necessarily convenient though, is to put a clamp on ammeter on the incoming line to the house. Turn all appliances off then turn one on check the reading, turn off and the next one, etc. The problem is the cyclic nature of many appliances such as air conditioner, washing machines, etc. It will give you the maximum kVA for each device but not the average as there will be a duty cycle associated with each. Even so, the voltage to the house is the 2nd part of the equation so need to measure that and assume it is a constant.

The complex way is a power data logger and put on a device, check after 24 hours, then the next device. That will give a much more precise estimate of power usage per device. Probably not practical due to the expense of such device. Actually, it is a fairly easy design if the clamp on ammeter has a monitor output for a volt meter.

How can a homeowner in Chiang Mai with 4,000-baht monthly electric bills determine the amount of kilowatts being consumed by each major appliance each month? Looking for good scientific measurements to support my guesses.

If you really want to know how much power an appliance uses in a week or month a standard 5/15A Kilowatt-hour meter can be bought for less than 500 baht (Homepro etc). place this in series with the appliance to be checked and leave in place for day/week/month as required. Compare before and after readings. Repeat for other appliances.

Note 10/30 and 15/45 A meters are also available for a little more if needed also Turn off power ( and then check with neon screwdriver) before installing check meter for safety.