Old Dos Software On New Computer

h90

after a long time of testing I found out that some Dos software does not work on modern computer because they are too fast. After hours I tried to play 2 movies (Divx) full screen high priority on this 900 Mhz computer and started the software than, and since then the software is running.

It was made arround 1993. Does anyone remember what computer were in 1993?

Pentium 1 100 Mhz, 64 MB Ram or something like that?

Do these computer still live?

Edited by h90

Intel 386 was predominant at that time while the Pentium (no number) was introduced in 1993 and continued until 1996 (66-200Mhz - increased speed over this time period). Pentium Pro came out in 1995, Pentium II in 1997, Pentium III in 1999, Pentium IV in 2000 (Celeron in 1998).

Some old DOS software (especially games) were written with software loops for creating necessary timing delays and as such a fast machine will not play/run them correctly. Of course a good programmer would use a calibration loop to set the delays by using the RTC but there were a lot of lazy ones back then (still are probably). :o

Edited by tywais

after a long time of testing I found out that some Dos software does not work on modern computer because they are too fast. After hours I tried to play 2 movies (Divx) full screen high priority on this 900 Mhz computer and started the software than, and since then the software is running.

It was made arround 1993. Does anyone remember what computer were in 1993?

Pentium 1 100 Mhz, 64 MB Ram or something like that?

Do these computer still live?

Have you try the compatability mode? Normally works say if you change it to work with specific legacy software.

Intel 386 was predominant at that time while the Pentium (no number) was introduced in 1993

Strange you forgot about the 486 which was the dominant processor of the era in question. The 386 was late 80's, the 486 early 90's. To the OP: run your Dos applications in VMWare or Virtual PC; you may get the compatibility you want running your applications inside them. I think they both offer free 2 week evaluation versions.

Intel 386 was predominant at that time while the Pentium (no number) was introduced in 1993

Strange you forgot about the 486 which was the dominant processor of the era in question. The 386 was late 80's, the 486 early 90's.

Old age setting in. :o You are absolutely right, it's just when I arrived to work here at CMU all we had were 386's and for some reason that creeped into my thinking. When I left the US I had nearly upgraded all our 386s to 486s (92-93). When I upgraded the lab computers here I skipped a generation and went straight to the Pentium/MMX (with a few AMDs tossed in)

Edited by tywais

this is a software for a special kind of CNC late machine. It looks like that the software has a later step ready before an earlier is ready.

But the worst thing is to enter one special menu you must quickly press "return" 2 times and well on a software which might be made for a 100 Mhz computer on a 900 Mhz computer, no human can move his fingers that fast.....

but at all on this AMD Duron the software is not very stable until you load the processor to 80 %

compatibily modes did not help (what I tried till now, it runs Win2000 Danish and my Danish is not that good). This VMWare or Virtual PC is sure worth to try. one thing I wounder is that this software needs a Dongle (or Tongle, don't know how to spell a piece of Hardware as copy protection connected to the parallel port).

Maybe I just buy an old computer and use this one in the office 900 Mhz, 512 Ram is sure fine for writing word and excel.

Intel 386 was predominant at that time while the Pentium (no number) was introduced in 1993 and continued until 1996 (66-200Mhz - increased speed over this time period). Pentium Pro came out in 1995, Pentium II in 1997, Pentium III in 1999, Pentium IV in 2000 (Celeron in 1998).

Some old DOS software (especially games) were written with software loops for creating necessary timing delays and as such a fast machine will not play/run them correctly. Of course a good programmer would use a calibration loop to set the delays by using the RTC but there were a lot of lazy ones back then (still are probably). :o

If I were you I'd download DOSBox and run your software under that. I have run several old PC games on my XP machine and it is pretty good

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/

From the website:

"DOSBox emulates an Intel x86 PC, complete with sound, graphics, mouse, modem, etc., necessary for running many old DOS games that simply cannot be run on modern PCs and operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows XP, Linux and FreeBSD. However, it is not restricted to running only games. In theory, any DOS application should run in DOSBox, but the emphasis has been on getting DOS games to run smoothly, which means that communication, networking and printer support are still in early developement"

Dosbox does not work, because it can not see the dongle on the parallel port.

Does someone know with VMWare or Virtual PC is it possible to emulate an old slow cpu, because what I read was always the great speed performance, but I need poor speed performance

Always the one for a simple solution, I'd go and buy a 486 for 600 Baht (Pratom PC in fortune Town).

Problem solved :D

I've got one running IPcop firewall, for that money you can't go far wrong.

:o:D:D

That will be an investment comparable to 12 bottle Singha.

:D:D

So a hard desicion, but I think I'll invest that at a total investment of 2.5 Mill Baht I can risk another 600 :D

Always the one for a simple solution, I'd go and buy a 486 for 600 Baht (Pratom PC in fortune Town).

Problem solved :D

I've got one running IPcop firewall, for that money you can't go far wrong.

:o:D:D

That will be an investment comparable to 12 bottle Singha.

:D:D

So a hard desicion, but I think I'll invest that at a total investment of 2.5 Mill Baht I can risk another 600 :D

If you're up for a run slightly outside central BKK, Zeer Rangsit (underneath the Asia Airport Hotel) has a bigger selection of used machines than Fortune (Prathom have their main outlet there).

I thought giving the computer repair shop arround the corner first a chance, as he was very helpfull in the past.

If he has nothing, I thought I go to Panthip Placa or are they more expensive?

Zeer Rangsit? Where is that approx. I am slightly outside, but question is if it is on the same side of BKK. I am in Samut Prakarn, Prapradaeng 10130

(Don Muang is far away (just because you write Asia AIRPORT Hotel))

If you're up for a run slightly outside central BKK, Zeer Rangsit (underneath the Asia Airport Hotel) has a bigger selection of used machines than Fortune (Prathom have their main outlet there).

I thought giving the computer repair shop arround the corner first a chance, as he was very helpfull in the past.

If he has nothing, I thought I go to Panthip Placa or are they more expensive?

Zeer Rangsit? Where is that approx. I am slightly outside, but question is if it is on the same side of BKK. I am in Samut Prakarn, Prapradaeng 10130

(Don Muang is far away (just because you write Asia AIRPORT Hotel))

Yeah, it's in the wrong direction for you then :o

Rangsit is about 5km north of Don Muang. If you have a vehicle it's still worth a visit though.

Sounds like the man round the corner is worth a chat. I would think anything 486 or Pentium 1 would do the job just fine. IMHO Fortune Town is better than Pantip for used kit.

Edited by Crossy

I read that with interest, will try it tomorrow.

Really a sick piece of sofware

thanks

michael

after a long time of testing I found out that some Dos software does not work on modern computer because they are too fast.

Try Moslo out. Website here. I used it a few years back for a legacy DOS app at work.