Korean Tourist Survives Gash In Head From Longtail Propeller

webfact

Korean tourist survives gash in head from longtail propeller

Phuket Gazette

kt.jpeg

Unconscious on arrival at Phuket International Hospital yesterday, Korean tourist Kang Chulgue is now awake and eating unassisted, say hospital staf. Photo: Thawit Bilabdulllar

PHUKET: -- A Korean tourist who was struck in the head by a longtail boat propeller while on a snorkeling trip off Koh Panyee is conscious and eating unassisted, staff at Phuket International Hospital told the Phuket Gazette this morning.

Kang Chulgue, 30, was on a day trip with five other Korean tourists at the popular tourist site Tumlod-Khao Phing Kan, located near Koh Panyee in Phang Nga Bay, when the accident happened.

“He is awake and talking and eating by himself. We still have a tube connected to make sure that blood is drained from his head,” a hospital staffer told the Gazette.

Mr Kang was rushed to Phuket International Hospital at 4:30pm yesterday by Sri Soonthorn Municipality rescue workers.

Rescue van driver Chaiyuth Rassamee told the Gazette that Mr Kang fell unconscious while en route to the hospital due to blood loss.

“All I could do was give him first aid to stop the bleeding and get him and his five friends to hospital as soon as I could,” he added.

Tourists in the van told Mr Chaiyuth that Mr Kang was snorkeling somewhere off Koh Panyee. After about 20 minutes in the water a longtail boat passed through where they were snorkeling.

“After realizing that Mr Kang had been struck in the head, they rushed him by boat back to the Baan Krasom Pier in Takua Thung, in Phang Nga, where he was put in a tour van and rushed to Phuket,” Mr Chaiyuth explained.

“Mr Kang was bleeding a lot and there was a lot of traffic because it was rush hour, so when they saw our rescue van, they stopped and asked for help,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle19428.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-11-13

One of my worst fears when im snorkeling that one of those longboats will hit me. Whenever i hear one approaching i make sure i know where it is.

Some of them are really careless and dangerous. Bet there will be no repercussions to the one boats captain. Just like with the french guy who died.

In my experience there is a major difference between the longtail captains and the speedboat guys. The latter are reckless and have no idea what they are doing, then former are much, much more careful. Unfortunately, still accidents happen.

In my experience there is a major difference between the longtail captains and the speedboat guys. The latter are reckless and have no idea what they are doing, then former are much, much more careful. Unfortunately, still accidents happen.

I bow to your superior knowledge, i normally have no problem with the speedboat guys as i try to stay away from places they frequent. But, overall i think most longboat captains do look out, just a few are crazy dangerous.

Do you know if anything ever happened to the responsible for the death of the French guy. People must know who did it.

I bow to your superior knowledge, i normally have no problem with the speedboat guys as i try to stay away from places they frequent. But, overall i think most longboat captains do look out, just a few are crazy dangerous.

Do you know if anything ever happened to the responsible for the death of the French guy. People must know who did it.

Don't think the police officially know who did that.

Don't think the police officially know who did that.

I guess unofficially its known. Something like that does leave witnesses. Shows again how willing they are here to solve problems for tourists.

I will be in the area next month doing lots of snorkling maybe some diving, but ill sure to keep an eye out for boats. as I always do. You do hear them approach.

What ever happened to placing Diving Boys to mark out the area where folk are diving?

In an earlier life, I saw a Chinese worker who had his head gashed open by a crane hook swinging across the site.

His co-workers ripped open all the cigarettes they could get their hands on and packed the wound with the tobacco.

It was all bound up with the poor man's sock.

It stopped the bleeding and the man survived.

It seemed that the tobacco worked as an astringent and disinfectant.

dam_n clever these Chinese or what?

• Like 1