One-Week Trip To Thailand For A First Timer

anirthak

hello friends,

this is my first post to this exhaustive information site on thailand. i've planned a one week trip to thailand, for which i'd been going thru the various posts regarding the places worth a visit there.

i've come up with the following itinerary based on those informative inputs.

DAY DESCRIPTION

Day-1 arrive at bangkok; transfer to hotel at bangkok

Day-2 bangkok to chiang mai via air asia flight; chiang mai sightseeing; transfer to chiang mai hotel

Day-3 chiang mai to phuket via air asia flight; transfer to phuket hotel

Day-4 phuket sightseeing; transfer to phuket hotel

Day-5 phuket to krabi via bus; krabi sightseeing & transfer to krabi hotel

Day-6 ferry from krabi to rai leh & ko phi phi; sightseeing & transfer back to krabi hotel

Day-7 krabi sightseeing; overnight journey from krabi to bangkok via govt bus

Day-8 arrive at bangkok & transfer to bangkok hotel; sightseeing & shopping & transfer back to hotel

Day-9 fly out of bangkok

is this plan a feasible one? i mean, whether this could be the best tourist points possible for visit during a week?

i plan to make this trip during the last week of May next year..please advise if it is a feasible time of visit as i've learnt that some places in the south could be hot during that time.

Edited by anirthak

Sounds like a lot of travelling and not much holiday to me.

umm...may be, you're right. actually i'd manage only a week's leave from work during that time.

after having gone through the places worth a visit in thailand, i was hoping to visit chiang mai, as well as not to miss krabi...probably that north-to-south travel would make things a lot more hectic, is it?

is it worth to keep phuket out of this itinerary? or may be, extension of the trip by a day or two would enable me to savor the beauty of these places as well? what do u suggest?

Arrange your flights better, go straight from airport up to Chang Mai, see what you like, fly south then back up to Swampy for the flight home. Seems a lot of travel for 1 week and you won't do either region justice. Just a personal point but i would avoid Phuket and Bangkok if i only had a week.

• Like 1

Wow. You could spend your full week at any one of those locations, and not even scratch the surface.

Your itinary is ALL travel and no real vacation time. You will be spending more time in airplanes and buses than actually at any one site.

I suggest a rethink. Select, at most two locations. Or just stay in Bangkok and venture out from there. One week is not a lot of time in Thailand.

Edited by WhizBang
  • Like 1

Not enough time for your trip. Two weeks should be the minimum coming here. For only one week pick just one place, and stay there. Have a real vacation instead of a tiring travel excursion trying to do too much. For any one place on your schedule a week will be more practicle to actually see the sights, and relax. Pick an island, and stay there as that seems to be what you want to do most.

Your schedule gives you no real time to site see, or shop at all. There is nothing wrong with returning to Thailand on other vacations, as most people do after they've been here the first time.

My suggestion is 3 days in Bangkok, then 3 days on an island, with one day of travel getting there. Koh Chang island is only 8 hours from Bangkok by bus, and is great for a relaxing vacation with plenty to do in a short time. Most of my clients decide to spend a week there it is so nice, and inexpensive.

Thailand is hot year round for a first time visitor, the only difference in the months is whether it is raining or not.

thanks to all of you for all the suggestive inputs and feedback...i've now started to contemplate on aligning my itinerary accordingly. i think i've make thailand the base point because of the availability of more international flights out there. that being said, i'm kind of torn between chiang mai & krabi. i've read a lot about both these places and wanted hard to include both these beauties in my trip. seems like that is impossible whithin a week...coming to a hairline comparison, which one of them could be kept aside for a 2nd thailand trip?

Hi,

As many said choose one or max 2 places.

I would go for Bangkok (cultural) and Krabi (scenery and relaxation).

BTW Koh Phi Phi and Ao Railey cannot be combined on a one day excursion, unless you hire a speedboat (very exensive).

Yermanee wai.gif

Edited by yermanee
  • Like 1

Hi,

As many said choose one or max 2 places.

I would go for Bangkok (cultural) and Krabi (scenery and relaxation).

BTW Koh Phi Phi and Ao Railey cannot be combined on a one day excursion, unless you hire a speedboat (very exensive).

Yermanee wai.gif

hi yermanee...thanks for that tip. while surfing the online resoruces, i think i found that one can avail a ferry service that does a day-trip to ko phi phi & rai leh...one-way journey takes 2 hours or so...as you said, is it therefore better to keep 2 days for separate execursions to these 2 places from krabi? does one need to stay in these 2 places overnight, or can I do these as day-trips from krabi?

Hi anirkthak,

Given you said in your OP that you will be coming in May next year - I would probably suggest Chiang Mai instead of Krabi.

Other members may have better advice than that, wait to see what everyone else suggests.

SVB

hi svb...i suppose it'll be less warmer in chaing mai than places in the south, during may-jun. personally, weather is not too much of a deterrent for me ( i stay in calcutta, which can be hotter than 35 deg-C during summers), if places in south are more worthwhile to visit than the north.

Can you avoid flying into/out of Bangkok. If you're not spending any time there, it's hardly worth flying in and out of there.

actually, i found that all flights from calcutta till bangkok only...since i'd be stepping into the capital city of a new country, i don't want to miss out on knowing that place.. smile.png

Due to the short time you'll be in Thailand, I would suggest you only visit Chiang Mai. In addition to Chiang Mai there are other places just outside of Chiang Mai you can visit, like the umbrella making village of BorSang, etc. Chiang Mai and the surrounding area offers quite a lot of places to enjoy. Perhaps you should consider a seperate trip to the islands later on, to ensure you have the time to appreciate your brief tour. Since I live in Chiang Mai when I'm not on assignment abroad, I may be a little partial with my suggestion.

• Like 1

Can you avoid flying into/out of Bangkok. If you're not spending any time there, it's hardly worth flying in and out of there.

actually, i found that all flights from calcutta till bangkok only...since i'd be stepping into the capital city of a new country, i don't want to miss out on knowing that place.. smile.png

In that case, I would split the week between Bangkok and Chiang Mai OR Krabi. Seeing as you're flying in & out of Bangkok, a day or 2 at either end of the week and the rest of the time in Chiang Mai or Krabi would be my recommendation.

This makes sense. Don't be put off by others saying Bangkok is not worthwhile to visit. I think Bangkok is worth visiting, especially given its your first trip here.

Would make a worthwhile stopover on your way to other places in Thailand, or on the way back.

• Like 2

Based on various inputs from all members, i've tried to modify the itinerary a bit..

DAY DESCRIPTION

Day-2 bangkok to chiang mai ; transfer to chiang mai hotel

Day-3 chiang mai sightseeing

Day-4 chiang mai sightseeing

Day-5 chiang mai to bangkok; transfer to hotel

Day-6 bangkok sightseeing

Day-7 flight out of bangkok

i'd therefore request you to suggest if this is a more likable plan...

as is seen, if i fly to chiang mai, then i'll have almost 2.5 days to visit in/around that place (day 2-4)..please advise the possible places which are worth a visit there....

regards..

I see you changed you schedule to be less stressful. IMOthumbsup.gif

Not a place i suggest but more a trip is take the train from bkk to Changmai. You don't have to pre book but just go to the hualangpong train station, buy the ticket and wait for the train. This way you will experience the new country you are visiting more lively.

An alternative plan.....

DAY DESCRIPTION

Day-2 bangkok to Krabi

Day-3 Krabi sightseeing including Railay beach.

Day-4 Ferry to Phuket.

Day-5 More fun in Phuket

Day-6 Flight to Bangkok in morning....last night in Bangkok....

Just an alternative option. wai2.gif

An alternative plan.....

DAY DESCRIPTION

Day-2 bangkok to Krabi

Day-3 Krabi sightseeing including Railay beach.

Day-4 Ferry to Phuket.

Day-5 More fun in Phuket

Day-6 Flight to Bangkok in morning....last night in Bangkok....

Just an alternative option. wai2.gif

That's what I would do..

What happened to days 8 and 9?

I've been looking for budget hotel options in Chiang Mai in the lonelyplanet site; can someone tell me about the YMCA at Huay Kaew. from the lonelyplanet review, it seems okay. but still would prefer inputs from persons who're most familiar with this place. i'll be traveling with my family and stay in Chaing Mai for a couple of days..

regarding the visa process, i found from the http://www.vfs-thailand.co.in website that local guarantor details need to be provided for applying tourist visa. in the absence of any local guarantor, the hotel reservation details should be provided. that means i'd have to pre-book the hotel acco in all places of thailand before my travel...

since i'd heard that the hotel could be highly bargained, i had contemplated for going to bangkok, chiang mai, etc without any prior reservation...but it seems that'd be a deterrent for the visa application, is it?

regarding the visa process, i found from the http://www.vfs-thailand.co.in website that local guarantor details need to be provided for applying tourist visa. in the absence of any local guarantor, the hotel reservation details should be provided. that means i'd have to pre-book the hotel acco in all places of thailand before my travel...

since i'd heard that the hotel could be highly bargained, i had contemplated for going to bangkok, chiang mai, etc without any prior reservation...but it seems that'd be a deterrent for the visa application, is it?

any suggestions to this matter would be helpful...should i just book the bangkok hotel and procure the visa by providing that detail only? or is there an easier, alternative option? please advise.