Fingers " Wot They Used To Be " After Surgeons Re-Attach Severed Hand In Bangkok

webfact

Fingers "wot they used to be" after surgeons re-attach severed hand in Bangkok

By Staff Reporter

chula.gif

Bangkok; A team of surgeons at Chulalongkorn hospital has successfully reattached a man’s severed hand after it was kept on ice for more than eight hours, and the prognosis is very good.

The 35-year-old grocery shop owner, was attacked by six men after he asked them to repay a 300 baht debt. One of them swung a machete and he suddenly realised that his left hand had been cut off, according to police.

Full story: http://www.pattaya10...and-in-bangkok/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2012-11-14

footer_n.gif

"wot they used to be"? I don't get it.

Congratulations if the surgery is successful or even close to it.

Fingers chopped off for asking for 300 Baht - has the world gone mad?

Yes the world has gone mad but in Thailand such madness is unfortunately the norm.

Half the time its just plain uneducated and inbred moronic stupidity and the other half its a case of face-saving on steroids!

• Like 1

Yes the world has gone mad but in Thailand such madness is unfortunately the norm.

Half the time its just plain uneducated and inbred moronic stupidity and the other half its a case of face-saving on steroids!

Pfffhh - other cultures, eh? Whadya gonna do with 'em?

* "what", not "wot" - Or am I missing something , like some witty hidden meaning for the (non)word "wot"

I was thinking maybe the surgery was performed in or around a temple. Like a 'wat' being Thai for a temple. But still it's spelt 'wot', and even if this were true, it wouldn't really be appropriate.

Reattaching a hand is long and tedious blood vessels, nerves, tendons/muscles but the real question is what % of function will return and also tissue viability.

I fail to understand how they define "very good prognosis" unless a fortune teller told the surgical team he'd regain a high% of function.

Please do not talk about the true incident in which thais cut off the hand of their own kind for a baht 300 or else the Politicians would ask that this site be banned!

Lol! Thais and Politicians who say that everything is great here and Foreigners who claim the love this country are all living in denial.....welcome to the land or unethical savages.

Maybe this will help

I guess you don't have kids.

* "what", not "wot" - Or am I missing something , like some witty hidden meaning for the (non)word "wot"

I was thinking maybe the surgery was performed in or around a temple. Like a 'wat' being Thai for a temple. But still it's spelt 'wot', and even if this were true, it wouldn't really be appropriate.

Some of you must live very sheltered lives. "Wot" is slangy British English.

post-145917-0-84704900-1352880768_thumb.

Please do not talk about the true incident in which thais cut off the hand of their own kind for a baht 300 or else the Politicians would ask that this site be banned!

Lol! Thais and Politicians who say that everything is great here and Foreigners who claim the love this country are all living in denial.....welcome to the land or unethical savages.

Maiming someone is a brutal, savage thing to do. Interestingly many of the TV posters seem to fixate on the Baht 300 as if it would seem more sensible if the amount had been a tad more, possibly Baht 3000 or Baht 30,000 would have been more acceptable to them.

Still, it wouldn't take much time to find equally savage, brutal mayhem reported in any country. Once again some of us seem to think bad things only happen in Thailand and that people who don't obsess about it must be in denial. On the other hand, it would seem those who think everything was in a state approaching nirvana back in FarangLand are the living definition of Denial.

As to banning this site, can you imagine the reaction if Thais in another country set up a website in which they kept up a constant barrage of criticism about the politicians, police, business practices, etc and felt free to question the intelligence of the "natives," etc. The Jean-Marie Le Pens or Fox News Corps of the world would have a field day calling for deportations or other "stern immigrations measures.".

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

Yes, I know that. But why is it being used, and what does this have to do with anything?

I believe that "fingers wot they used to be" is a very poor attempt at a pun of the (1950's ish) English song in a Cockney accent - "Fings (things) aint (aren't) wot (what) they used to be" A lament of the loss of the 'good old times'.

If this is so, then it is a very poor pun attempt and in very poor taste given the circumstances.

• Like 1

Yes, I know that. But why is it being used, and what does this have to do with anything?

"Yes, I know that."

Right.

I was thinking maybe the surgery was performed in or around a temple. Like a 'wat' being Thai for a temple.

Maiming someone is a brutal, savage thing to do. Interestingly many of the TV posters seem to fixate on the Baht 300 as if it would seem more sensible if the amount had been a tad more, possibly Baht 3000 or Baht 30,000 would have been more acceptable to them.

Still, it wouldn't take much time to find equally savage, brutal mayhem reported in any country. Once again some of us seem to think bad things only happen in Thailand and that people who don't obsess about it must be in denial. On the other hand, it would seem those who think everything was in a state approaching nirvana back in FarangLand are the living definition of Denial.

As to banning this site, can you imagine the reaction if Thais in another country set up a website in which they kept up a constant barrage of criticism about the politicians, police, business practices, etc and felt free to question the intelligence of the "natives," etc. The Jean-Marie Le Pens or Fox News Corps of the world would have a field day calling for deportations or other "stern immigrations measures.".

They are quite free to say what ever they want in Australia, hey they can even hang it on the queen if they want. They won't be prosected free to say and do anything they want to anyone (muslims/islam excluded).

World English Dictionary wot (wɒt)vb (used with I, she, he, it, or a singular noun ) archaic , dialect or a form of the present tense (indicative mood) of wit

I believe that "fingers wot they used to be" is a very poor attempt at a pun of the (1950's ish) English song in a Cockney accent - "Fings (things) aint (aren't) wot (what) they used to be" A lament of the loss of the 'good old times'.

Yep, I would say that is right.

Many years ago a newspaper in the UK had a pun competition, I submitted 10 entries, nothing, nada, none of them won a prize, no pun in ten did.

• Like 1

"On the other hand, it would seem those who think everything was in a state approaching nirvana back in FarangLand are the living definition of Denial."

Oooops!

Was that a Freudian 'slap' giggle.gif

-mel.

"Yes, I know that."

Right.

'Wot' is slangy English for 'what'? Thanks, I come from England. and I know that already.

My point is what is it being used for in this article? Where is the connection? It's a pun? He had his fingers chopped off by some chavs?

And which small country is it you are living in.

Come to Thailand first class medical care much better than your local witch doctor. The land of smiles with friendly people. When you come please do not judge the whole country by a few bars and brothels.

They are quite free to say what ever they want in Australia, hey they can even hang it on the queen if they want. They won't be prosected free to say and do anything they want to anyone (muslims/islam excluded).

Just wait until that excluded population gets a big enough percentage of the population and watch every thing change.

More of a concerning matter, does anyone know, have these people who chopped this mans hand off been arrested? Or am I dreaming that such a thing might happen in Thailand after such an incident?

I would rather know these guys are off the street and not capable of doing more damage to others.

Chris.