Lessons In Being Gay In Thailand!

Rickys

The "thank you" issue...

In 10 years of contact with Vietnamese, Thais, and Cambodians, I would say that SE Asians in general do not express verbal thanks as often as we do in the west. If they do, it's usually an accommodation to the westerner.

GASP GASP HORROR!!!!! im southeast asian (at least half) and i thank people all the time. dont generalise, bub!*pissy* and i see caucasians as equals thank you very much! *indignant* so there. :DDD

wot i learnt in thailand : theres like this "caste" system between the haves and the have nots. very very obvious. and you can get away with murder if u know the right people or if your parents are well known people. and the best parties only take place when the clubs are closed. the host will pick his guests and its strictly by invites. youll meet the most gorgeous thai guys there. whoa!!!!!!

Edited by boybrat

That's because most of us in SE Asian are accustomed to having our needs met by members of a lower caste or service staff. They should be glad we're accepting their service.

Ghastly as it may seem, it is inbred in most of us when young. You are born into your station or you are where you are by earning your dues. Being serviced is part of the privileges that comes with rank. Apathy is less embarassing than profuse thanks bordering on the brink of being patronising.

Nevertheless, there are a few people who do make the effort. A simple simple of acknowledgement does go a long way.

That's because most of us in SE Asian are accustomed to having our needs met by members of a lower caste or service staff. They should be glad we're accepting their service.

Ghastly as it may seem, it is inbred in most of us when young. You are born into your station or you are where you are by earning your dues. Being serviced is part of the privileges that comes with rank. Apathy is less embarassing than profuse thanks bordering on the brink of being patronising.

Nevertheless, there are a few people who do make the effort. A simple simple of acknowledgement does go a long way.

ooooo!!!! .

have i ever met u before? cos we might have partied in the same circle....

I miss Steve2UK ... and wonder if Rickys is still in contact with X ....

Isn't Steve2UK in the process of moving to the LoS?

:D

Off topic, but what the h*eck........ Yes I am (in the process) but many times postponed due to being caught up in the weird, whacky and warped world of "Builder Time".......... as in London renovation completion dates that just roll back as you get nearer to them. In theory, the last last day was today - which just leaves the question of who to bring in to complete what the original builder didn't. Maybe a good rehearsal for TIT :o . Buddha willin' an' the river don't rise, I will land in LOS in the first week of September - as opposed to the original plan of late June.

Oh and, as of some weeks ago, yes - Rickys was still in (productive?) contact with X.... :D