Odd Letter From Customs

bristoltobangkok

I've been living in Bangkok for a few months now, and have just received a letter written entirely in Thai - which is a problem as I can't read a word! My wife showed it to someone at her work and they have said that it's a bill from customs. It's only for 200 baht, but it doesn't seem to be the normal type; my understanding is that normally you are billed by the post office holding the package, but for this one we apparently have to go to a bank to pay it. Has anyone had anything like this before please? We're thoroughly confused about it; the only package we're 'expecting' was an Xbox game that my family sent about 2 months ago, which I'm sure has been 'lost' in the post. Since two items went walkies in the post within our first month here we've told everyone to not bother. All very weird...

We knew it was in my name as my wife's colleague was able to translate (in brief). As it's only 200 I've paid it at an ATM; see what happens! Hoping it's my game, although I would have expected that to a) have arrived two months ago and B) cost me more like a couple of thousand baht; apologies, we got stung hard by customs when shipping our stuff out - my opinion of them is skewed!!!

Thanks for your help

if you piad by ATM what was the ACC name?

i personally would not have paid, but since you ar actually expecting something.

generally i get the card from the post office which explains the cahrg and snd a motocycle with the cash to pick it up.

if it isn't a scam, it should be, its pretty good.

This charge is likely for customs EDI fee, every shipment that requires formal customs clearance (both import and export) will incur this fee

I see in post 8, you mention you have previously had an export shipment, would guess this is for that shipment ( if this is the only shipment you have done)

This can either be paid by your customs broker on your behalf and then billed to you by your broker

If not, then customs will send to the importer/exporter directly

So this is not a scam.... unless your custom broker billed you for this charge but did not pay it on your behalf

Double check your bill...

Edited by CWMcMurray

You are not likely to hear anything back on this...

In the case that you didn't pay, after a few times... if you tried to import or export, then customs would advise your broker that all outstanding EDI fees need to be paid before customs release can be given

If your game was sent through the post office and duty was owed, you would have received a slip in the mail advising you to go to the post office to pay import duty and pick up your package.