Image File Software | To Keep Track Of Your Images

jcw

What software do different folks use (for a PC – Windows System) to keep track of your images?

Some times it takes me ages to go find an image I have stored in a folder that is now effectively hidden away on my computer.

Any tips would be great thanks. wai2.gif

Lightroom.

Keywords, catalogues, rank, colour code, create collections, publish straight to social media sites. I have more than 70,000 photos referenced in Lightroom and it is easy to find anything.

Handles 99% of processing requirements. Mapping feature, create books for publishing, slideshows and web pages.

Best photo tool by far IMHO.

• Like 2

For a free program, Picasa is very good!!! thumbsup.gif For Mac and PC users

Lightroom etc ....can be complicated in my opinion, and does cost money!....

Acdsee Pro is good too, but again costs money....Often " on sale" if you subscribe to news letters... for PC users....

ACDsee Mac version not up there yet...!!! although not read a review in a while now... ) wink.png

Actually, I was planning on light room, this is what a friend recommended as well. I only want to do it once, I have many images to go through.

Lightroom has a bit of a learning curve but the payoff is well worth it.

I am currently trying Lightroom Trail version 4 .... a few quirks to wrap my head around... but it is not as bad as I remember .... but it's a case of using them often enough to remember what you learned !!!! ... (free 30 day trail).

I think I'll probably buy as it can be installed on two computers.... that took a bit of research to check and find that out!!! Plus can link to Picasa, which I find useful for uploading and email.thumbsup.gif

I tried out ACDsee Pro for Mac the other day.... very slow processing and screwed up two images... (tried on crappy images anyway) but ditched it .... PDF.... sad.png

Hi all. New to the photography, so have been trailing the usual post photo software. Came across this web site http://photographylife.com/ which I consider a gold mine. It has tutorials on software including Lightroom and the correct way on how to use its features. Apart from this, it has a lot about correct camera techniques and settings. I hope you find it useful. Regards Bill.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I was planning on light room, this is what a friend recommended as well. I only want to do it once, I have many images to go through.

Lightroom has a bit of a learning curve but the payoff is well worth it.

I am currently trying Lightroom Trail version 4 .... a few quirks to wrap my head around... but it is not as bad as I remember .... but it's a case of using them often enough to remember what you learned !!!! ... (free 30 day trail).

I think I'll probably buy as it can be installed on two computers.... that took a bit of research to check and find that out!!! Plus can link to Picasa, which I find useful for uploading and email.thumbsup.gif

I tried out ACDsee Pro for Mac the other day.... very slow processing and screwed up two images... (tried on crappy images anyway) but ditched it .... PDF.... sad.png

You can email direct from Lightroom using a variety of image sizes; as well as exporting directly to Facebook, Flickr and Smugmug. Right click on a single image or a group of selected images and choose Export.

• Like 1

It's amazing how many photo programs are out there !

It comes down to how much one needs for editing... and tracking folders / events etc... ... so from free to XXX $ ! For beginners and non professionals I think safe to say, free is good to start !

Your computer monitor can play a big part in what you see .... Cheap monitors don't give the quality as a mid to high range monitor...

I have a Mac Thunderbolt screen and a mid range Acer screen, the Acer is far better contrast and picture quality on screen... (sadly the Acer went on the blink the other day sad.png and in a shop, where I hope they can fix! )

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Mac Thunderbolt screen and a mid range Acer screen, the Acer is far better contrast and picture quality on screen... (sadly the Acer went on the blink the other day sad.png and in a shop, where I hope they can fix! )

I keep migrating my Acer monitor to new desktops for the same reason. It displays the same as when you print on high quality metallic paper.

I keep migrating my Acer monitor to new desktops for the same reason. It displays the same as when you print on high quality metallic paper.

My good Acer screen is no more!

Thanks to Acer in BKK, they won't ship the board / chip (what ever) ... that is needed, to the guy who could fix it here on Samui.... At first they said they would. I gave the guy at shop the money, so he could get it shipped down to Samui, then they tell him no....

He was as miffed as I am about it..... blink.png

He did give me my money back, no problem there! thumbsup.gif ..... I suppose I could ship it to Acer, but suspect it may take months to get it back... turned me off Acer this has!!! sad.png

I am now looking at Dell U2713HM or U2711 Ultra sharp, or Samsung S27A750D (or similar 24" models) ....which seem to have reasonably good reviews, but means going to Mainland to look and actually see...w00t.gif

Anyone have any experience with any of these models .... ? or mid range priced monitors?? ( I use Mac computers, so need to be compatible ).

I see that the Invadit have one at 400,000 baht, that's a bit out of reach! wink.png although have the ones I listed in the range I would pay, but I would not buy a monitor with out seeing image screen quality first ...

I don't bother with printing any more, never heard of metallic paper though! If I do print it is cheaper to go to Kodak or Fuji shop! .... Ink dries up with the lack of using a printer for me! ! wai2.gif

27" Apple Cinema Display?

NOP!

I have a 24" Apple display I use for my Mac Air ..... The gloss screen is not good, in some light conditions, contrast and image detail is not as good, as that Acer screen (was !!!! ) ... even the local Mac guy from Ibeats was surprised when we mirrored the same image on both screens together.... Just wish Apple would go back to their none gloss screen.... it was better on my old Imac!

Perhaps I am a bit too fussy!

I have a cheap screen on the Mini, at the moment (borrowed) it's dreadful to look at... w00t.gifwink.png fine for email etc, .... but not for image work !!! wink.png Thanks anyway!

Oh it's Christmas .... Merry Christmas everyone! thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1