Price Of Eggs ?

fareastguy

Does anyone know why the price of eggs has soared recently ?

Two weeks ago I bought fresh chicken eggs from my local market (not supermarket)

size 2 qty 30 price 68 baht

1 week ago same order price 72 baht

today same order price 80 baht

increase of 17% over two weeks !!!

Can anyone shed some light on this stealth increase ?

Probably because they were losing money.

It's been a long time since I've seen 30 eggs for 68 Baht and so maybe they realsied that they were selling too cheap compared to everyone else.

The shorter days at this time of yesr mean that the chickens don't lay so well without artificial lighting, but cost the same to look after

Most animal feed costs seems to be increasing almost on a monthly basis.

Chicken feed isn't so cheap anymore.

Eggs have gone from 100bht to 66bht (for 30) and everywhere in between this year.

At the moment they are near the low end of the cycle (up north).

Milk has also suddenly dropped in price this week.

Yogurt and nappies have also gone down by about 10% recently.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Local market the little ones ones are 28, medium 30 big ones 34.

That's for ten, and the price has been more or less stable for a couple of weeks now, but does sometimes jump up and down a bit.

Over time the jumps of course average more up than down, I seem to recall paying no more than 20 baht per 10 maybe 18 months to 2 years ago.

I have read news recently that the price of eggs has been out of control too cheap no profits for the industry competing with imported layer chicks or something and the government's been asked to intervene of course, so that may have the usual unintended consequences.

The federal reserve in America is currently in QE3 (full print mode) and the BoT needs to keep up in order to keep their prefered exchange rate. All this excess liquidity is going to drive the price up on just about everything, eggs are just the tip of the iceberg.

buy gold...

The federal reserve in America is currently in QE3 (full print mode) and the BoT needs to keep up in order to keep their prefered exchange rate. All this excess liquidity is going to drive the price up on just about everything, eggs are just the tip of the iceberg.

buy gold...

Golden eggs, that's all I need !! Now I have to re calibrate my egg timer.. how long do you boil those "buggers" for ?

• Like 1

gf said it's about 90 Baht where we are at the moment (for 30x size 2), which she said isn't high, just normal. So I wouldn't complain about 80 lol

We are in a town though, rather than a small village, so perhaps with more customers there's not as much of an oversupply of eggs

Edited by SlyAnimal

Off topic slightly but can someone shed some light on whether keeping chickens for your own eggs isnt allowed in Thailand?

My wife says its something to do with companies that sell eggs have somehow got a law through that stops the public from owning egg laying chickens?

Right or wrong?

Off topic slightly but can someone shed some light on whether keeping chickens for your own eggs isnt allowed in Thailand?

My wife says its something to do with companies that sell eggs have somehow got a law through that stops the public from owning egg laying chickens?

Right or wrong?

Really !!!

I must invest in some camo netting then, just in case 'they' are watching....

To the OP, stop whinging... If you have ever kept any livestock you would realize the very small margins being worked around.

We just keep ducks and they don't even pay for their own food in eggs, but maybe that is because MIL sells them at 3 baht because she thinks they are small.. I need to sell at 4 baht just to cover feed...

But 4 baht for a chemical free, deep orange, tasty as hell duck egg ?? It' really priceless....

Right or wrong?

As there have been 2 occasions over the last few years where the government has given free chickens to villagers here in order to produce their own eggs, I doubt that it is against the law.

You may well find that keeping chickens could be against local ordnance in towns because of noise and smell nuisance.

Right or wrong?

WRONG!!!! ...you can have as many chickens as you want.....the snakes here love them too

Only every buy the largest, and from the same place, take the tray back and get a new tray of 30......... Price for a very long time is between 86 and 110 baht, this last Friday they were down again and cost 94 baht for 30... 3 weeks ago they were 104 baht, last week 98 baht.

High price of Eggs.Right up there with my concern about health insurance costs.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

geesh TV is soooo exiting these days!!!

health insurance??? c'est quoi?

My biggest worry is why the beer in the fridge disappears..bloody Thai ghosts methinks.

When first domesticated in Thailand eggs was 23 bt for ten now about 35bt...7 years on ...come on guys ..beer and ciggys have gone up more!! Rice up , gas up, fish a bit.....sunshine same price, fresh air same price...lol

I am amazed ! my ghast has never been so flabbered that someone would actually take time to type and to start a thread and whinge about 10 or 12 baht over a few weeks ???? &lt;deleted&gt; is that all about, are things really that tight you have to watch the price of <<Snip!>> eggs ?? get a life man ! its no wonder so many of us turn to drink !!!.........unbelievable !....but about what you would EGGspect.

Edited by metisdead
  • Like 2

I am amazed ! my ghast has never been so flabbered that someone would actually take time to type and to start a thread and whinge about 10 or 12 baht over a few weeks ???? &lt;deleted&gt; is that all about, are things really that tight you have to watch the price of <<Snip!>> eggs ?? get a life man ! its no wonder so many of us turn to drink !!!.........unbelievable !....but about what you would EGGspect.

No need to be quite so rude Mr. CharlieH. I wasn't whinging about the price, just asking a straight forward question as to why the increase.

If my post caused you such grief then you could have easily passed it by, but you are obviously sadder than me in that you felt compelled to waste YOUR time by making a reply, dear sir you need to GET A LIFE or by the tone of your reply some sedation at the very least !