1St Class Insurance For Large Motorcycle

davevi

I am getting familiar with the Thai system of insuring vehicles.

I want to insure my 249cc motorcycle for theft, damage, accident and medical coverage for myself. I've been told by several people that what I need in this case is "1st Class" insurance.

My question is where do you go for this?

I live in Chiang Mai near the Old City. I'd prefer a place that can deal with westerners well and explain some details.

Also, can anyone tell me what is covered and meant by "1st Class" insurance?

thank you.

250cc is not really in the 'large/big bike' category.... maybe 1000cc ++ wink.png I hope that wasn't you we saw this afternoon trying to do a 'Rossi' around the moat, arse all over the seat and knee stuck out on an elderly 250cc ish machine doing all of 40 km/hr. Almost had to pull over we were laughing so much!

I can't suggest any insurers in the city but AA Insurance at Rimping Meechok can surely offer a 1st class package for you.

Ride safe.

250cc is not really in the 'large/big bike' category.... maybe 1000cc ++ wink.png I hope that wasn't you we saw this afternoon trying to do a 'Rossi' around the moat, arse all over the seat and knee stuck out on an elderly 250cc ish machine doing all of 40 km/hr. Almost had to pull over we were laughing so much!

I can't suggest any insurers in the city but AA Insurance at Rimping Meechok can surely offer a 1st class package for you.

Ride safe.

Thanks Jagi, it is precisely my unique style of rossi that makes me crave good 1st class insurance ...

Ride safe.

Thanks Jagi, it is precisely my unique style of rossi that makes me crave good 1st class insurance ...

......yes, but it will only cover your bike. Medical is another thing.

Edited by Semper

Moved to the Bikes in Thailand forum, where there are many members from CM and elsewhere who can answer this question.

All the motorcycle insurance companies in Thailand are headquartered in Bangkok, so you are only dealing with agents or brokers here.

Not to take anything away from the agents and brokers here, of course. Probably same price here as there.

Also, you need to be a bit more specific when asking the question about cost, as in Year, Make, Model, etc.

Moved, and live link remaining on CM.

I use MUANG THAI INSURANCE PLC for my S1000rr.......30 % NCD to date, just renewed it...19,300 bhat for class one and 800,000 bhat value if scrapped or stolen..

That's bloody good, i just got a renewal quote from my insurance company for 2500 Baht more than i paid to cover my 2012 Ninja650 last year (13,000, upto 15,500) cheeky Fer's given that they only cover to the value of 180,000 when i bought the bike for 265,000....and i have no claims.

I'll give Muang Thai a call smile.png

Edited by karlos

Moved to the Bikes in Thailand forum, where there are many members from CM and elsewhere who can answer this question.

All the motorcycle insurance companies in Thailand are headquartered in Bangkok, so you are only dealing with agents or brokers here.

Not to take anything away from the agents and brokers here, of course. Probably same price here as there.

Also, you need to be a bit more specific when asking the question about cost, as in Year, Make, Model, etc.

Moved, and live link remaining on CM.

Why did you decide to move the thread?

As I said in my post I would like information about sources in Chiang Mai, please do not move this thread.

Ride safe.

You're probably new , but in Thailand anything larger than 150cc is considered a big bike as far as the DMV and the rest of the government is concerned, insurance business included, so OP would be quite right in referring to it as a big bike, if he was.

40 km/h sounds about right when going around the moat, and old track-riders occasionally like to slip a knee down low, even when there's no need for it, just for fun or out of boredom. Dunno if you've ever been on the track yourself, have ya?

To the OP: you could check out the GT-riders forum (http://www.gt-rider.com), which is more or less based in CM I think. Originally I got my insurance through some group-membership thing they were arranging via Tony Dabbs and e-insure (http://www.e-insurethailand.com/). Think they have a separate insurance forum there.

Edited by Awk

AA Insurance Brokers do indeed have an office in Chiang Mai and can offer 1st Class insurance (and 2nd and 3rd Class) on bikes both big and small.

Call into the office for quotes if passing (see web site for location www.aainsure.net ) or call direct to Manfred : 084 3435 736

Edited by AAInsuranceBrokers

Op. You don't say what bike?

if Cbr250. Then Siam Cosmos

sent from my Q6

It is a Ninja 250

As a matter of interest when you find 1st class insurance can you come back and tell us.

Just to give an idea. Thanks

sent from my Q6

• Like 1