W.a.s.p

baan_yangyai

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an asside, but from my 19 years of living in LOS, I have never come across a non-WASP married to a Thai. For the uninitiated, a WASP is a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant :D

Are there ANY non-WASP married to Thai living happily in LOS?

Just a thought... :o

I noticed that. There doesn't seem to be any Mediteraneans marrying Thais while there seems to be huge numbers of Scandinavians, Germans, Dutch, British and Americans, all the Protestant countries. Maybe it's Catholic guilt?

QUOTE(HarryHerb @ 2006-02-11 10:24:22) *

I have never come across a non-WASP married to a Thai.

Err... try several million Thai people - they don't all marry foreigners wink.gif

Eh, yeah. I know! But I was referring to foreigners married to Thai dry.gif

Apologies for sarcasm, baan_yangyai.

But what's your point? Your narrow social circle? Or that that non-WASP foreigners with Thai spouses may not be happily married? :o

Not sure I get this one.

QUOTE(HarryHerb @ 2006-02-11 10:24:22) *

I have never come across a non-WASP married to a Thai.

Err... try several million Thai people - they don't all marry foreigners wink.gif

Eh, yeah. I know! But I was referring to foreigners married to Thai dry.gif

Apologies for sarcasm, baan_yangyai.

But what's your point? Your narrow social circle? Or that that non-WASP foreigners with Thai spouses may not be happily married? :o

Not sure I get this one.

The point I was trying to get at is why there aren't MORE non-WASP foreigners married to Thais. Is it something to do with socio-economics in that most WASP's have money and are better-off and able to marry and settle down in LOS? I am non-WASP and have never come across ,YET, any other non-WASP married to a Thai :D

What about African Americans (both males and females) marrying Thais? There's a quite a few about; you just have to know where to find them. A particular nation's ties with Thailand will see their nationals swapping countries for employment and maybe finding someone while they're there... after all... it's a part of life. Hence why you see many Scando-Thai unions, and there were many Italians working in Bangkok in the late 80s and early to mid 90s... any nation with a lot of engineers to offer and the professions associated with them came during this period, such as foreign teachers to teach their children, accountants, lawyers and so forth. Religion doesn't come into it really. More recently there's Australians and further back there's Americans en route home from Vietnam.

What the heck is a protestant?

Verb: to protest

I am a W but not AS nor P. I am neither married to a Thai but Asian.

The other day a drinking-buddy, by profession a catholic priest, got quite excited and wanted to know from me how I feel in such a heathen-relation. :o

Edited by Axel

I am certainly not a Protestant. I’m the second W.A.S.A (devout atheist). :o

The original post is not clear to me - does the OP really mean WASP ? How do you know the religion of all these people. I am also caucasian, but if you met me in a bar or at BigC you would be unlikely to discover that I am an atheist (#3) with Buddhist leanings. Was the original question supposed to refer a lack of Thai women not married to "Thais and caucasians" ?

I am certainly not a Protestant. I’m the second W.A.S.A (devout atheist). :o

The original post is not clear to me - does the OP really mean WASP ? How do you know the religion of all these people. I am also caucasian, but if you met me in a bar or at BigC you would be unlikely to discover that I am an atheist (#3) with Buddhist leanings. Was the original question supposed to refer a lack of Thai women not married to "Thais and caucasians" ?

Was the original question supposed to refer a lack of Thai women not married to "Thais and caucasians" ?

In a word YES!

Religion has shaped our values and the way we think for hundreds of years. Someone coming along and just saying "I'm athiest" overnight is still going to think in these terms unless they make an incredibly concerted effort to overcome it. If someone comes from one particular religious background then it will still be a fundamental part of that person even if they decide to change or become athiests.

i'm jewish (not married yet to a thai but with boyfriend) (american jewish/israeli woman)

there are a few other MOT's (members of the tribe: jews) :o:D that i recall are married to thais: one in korat (he told me)...

probably because jews tend to marry within the group

Just an asside, but from my 19 years of living in LOS, I have never come across a non-WASP married to a Thai. For the uninitiated, a WASP is a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant :D

I don't know thought you are trying to have, but it doesn't sound good. There are many people who would and do take offense to being called a WASP. The fact you ask this question using a term like WASP and then admit that your person does not if this term leads me to believe that your thoughts aren't very nice. Or you have difficulty expressing yourself and therefore your true intentions are unknown to others. So, which is it?

I don't know thought you are trying to have, but it doesn't sound good. There are many people who would and do take offense to being called a WASP. The fact you ask this question using a term like WASP and then admit that your person does not if this term leads me to believe that your thoughts aren't very nice. Or you have difficulty expressing yourself and therefore your true intentions are unknown to others. So, which is it?

Never thought WASP was derogatory. Simply an acronym to describe a plurality of the people in the US. Do white protestants take offense to this term?

By the way whether or not someone believes in God does not necessarily make them any more or less likely to take on the culture of that religion. Believing in God is an intellectual decision that adults make. We get our culture cues from those around us during childhood. In New York. for example, white Protestants have a culture that usually differntiates themselves from Catholics and Jews.

Never thought WASP was derogatory. Simply an acronym to describe a plurality of the people in the US. Do white protestants take offense to this term?

By the way whether or not someone believes in God does not necessarily make them any more or less likely to take on the culture of that religion. Believing in God is an intellectual decision that adults make. We get our culture cues from those around us during childhood. In New York. for example, white Protestants have a culture that usually differntiates themselves from Catholics and Jews.

Where have you been? :D

Because if you have been in America you havn't been paying attention.

No-one's addressing the original point here. Maybe the term w.a.s.p. is offputting but why is it people from a certain cultural backgrounds are more likely to marry Thai ladies than people from other cultural backgrounds? Obviously there are plenty of examples from all over the world but the majority are from countries with a particular race and religious tradition. So why?

i'm jewish (not married yet to a thai but with boyfriend) (american jewish/israeli woman)

there are a few other MOT's (members of the tribe: jews) :o:D that i recall are married to thais: one in korat (he told me)...

In the late Odzer's book Patpong Sisters, Cleo describes a rather humerous marriage between a young Israeli bloke and his new Thai wife, formerly bar girl, who was a Thai Muslim from the south. I would bet money that the marriage did not last.