300 Baht Minimum Wage In Chiang Mai?

Ulysses G.

As a business owner, I can understand where they are coming from by simply calculating how much on average my employee spend on gas and etc. There's no way to survive on the current minimum wage.

However I don't think that the government actually examine the impact of these wage hikes.

It's ridiculous. Up my price and risk losing customers, or take a big hit on expenditure. Lose/lose situation so far.

People here wants: Best product at lowest cost, best paying job at lowest work load.

I'm willing to pay for the best employee but being in the service sector I do need to have lower level employee as well whose job doesn't equate to high pays.

Edited by mic6ard

When I was young in the US the minimum wage was $1 US. Gasoline was 25 cents. 4 gallons for one dollar. Gold was $35 an ounce. Silver dollars, 1/2 dollars, quarters and dimes were made of real silver. I can tell you what an ounce of silver was worth because I had it in my pocket in the form of dollars, halves, quarters and dimes. Yes it was an alloy to make the coin more durable, but it was still like 90% silver.

Everything was not only fine, but much better. The US was still on the gold standard. Every dollar printed was backed by gold.

Now we've had inflation. The dollar won't buy much gold at $1,700 an ounce. That's a statement of the value of a dollar which is no longer backed by gold but is just flying off the printing presses. People want $1,700 of them for their ounce of gold now.

"A rising tide lifts all boats." Expats will suffer badly. Their income isn't rising but costs will. Someone has to pay this new minimum wage, including those who receive it. What good would it do "the poor" if you tripled the minimum wage but prices also tripled to cover it? The only hope of a ray of sunshine for expats is that maybe, just maybe, inflation in LOS would make the baht worth less against other currencies. Maybe expats could stay even with rising prices. Maybe.

That's all inflation is. The value of the coin of the realm loses value and it takes more of them to buy something.

clap2.gifclap2.gif the gov't don't seem to understand that.

We'll raise the minimum wage but you can't raise your price!!! cheesy.gif

Construction is my business; but not here...but if you read my last 3 or 4 posts you can see exactly what my business is....I pay well becasue I want the best, and they deserve the best

I checked - massage and spa ...

If eye catchers business is massage and spa then no wonder he is paying more than minimum wage. Trained masseuse have their own wage scale as it's NOT unskilled labour which the minimum wage is for.

sent from my Q6

Just wait till Burma opens up and it will not be too far off ,and all the Burmese workers

here in Thailand flood home,who will do their jobs as I dont think Thais will.

suppose they will be replaced by Cambodians and Laotians ,poor buggers having

to work for what is a pittance,

So the minimum wage will go up next year and so will costs of all goods and services

so in the end no one is better off in the end.

Regards Worgeordie

So lets say you have a business with some minimum wage people. All around, not only in your business are people just above minimum wage. Maybe they are long time people who are valued. Maybe the are the shift supervisor.

In any event, if you give the new people a raise in minimum wage, you must then give the person training them a raise or the new person might make the same or less as the valued trained employee. The dominoes fall all down the line until everyone gets a raise. Now everything costs more and no one truly got a raise.

Minimum wage is not supposed to be a career. A trade, and education, or advancement on the job is supposed to be a career. In my country in the West, the minimum wage is bad for those on the bottom. Who would hire a green pea at 17 years old with no job experience for minimum wage? Many go without jobs and therefore training for their futures because they aren't worth the entry wage.

Here's the weird part. Go to college and spend a fortune to advance yourself and that's fine. Apprentice yourself out cheap to learn a trade or even just how to hold a job though, and that's illegal. It used to be that someone would indenture himself Link for a few years to someone just to get a career or move to a location. Now if you want to become a manager at McDonalds and work your way up, the employer has to pay you to do it.

There are some things to think about before crashing headlong into good intentions.

Edited by NeverSure

So lets say you have a business with some minimum wage people. All around, not only in your business are people just above minimum wage. Maybe they are long time people who are valued. Maybe the are the shift supervisor.

In any event, if you give the new people a raise in minimum wage, you must then give the person training them a raise or the new person might make the same or less as the valued trained employee. The dominoes fall all down the line until everyone gets a raise. Now everything costs more and no one truly got a raise.

Minimum wage is not supposed to be a career. A trade, and education, or advancement on the job is supposed to be a career. In my country in the West, the minimum wage is bad for those on the bottom. Who would hire a green pea at 17 years old with no job experience for minimum wage? Many go without jobs and therefore training for their futures because they aren't worth the entry wage.

Here's the weird part. Go to college and spend a fortune to advance yourself and that's fine. Apprentice yourself out cheap to learn a trade or even just how to hold a job though, and that's illegal. It used to be that someone would indenture himself Link for a few years to someone just to get a career or move to a location. Now if you want to become a manager at McDonalds and work your way up, the employer has to pay you to do it.

There are some things to think about before crashing headlong into good intentions.

Kinda like the guy working for the Government for 13,000 baht a month for ten years and in comes a new guy who has a college degree in how to be mayor in dog town and they pay him 15,000 baht to learn from you how to do the job. Thus the domino effect at a wage all ready much higher than the new minimum wage.

All some thing too talk about the reality is it doesn't matter. People are only worth a vote to the PT promise them any thing that looks good and they will buy it. Never a second thought about the real cost.

No doubt about it raises are in order but not in a manner where the employers are not allowed to grow into them with out letting staff go or raising the prices. All ready over 1000 jobless people in the highest paid provinces in the country. Just wait until it hits the lowest paid ones.

edit

I just remembered those were jobs lost at manufacturing plants. No mention of 7/11s or small businesses. An out and out attempt to minimize the effect on the employment factors involved.

Edited by hellodolly

Construction is my business; but not here...but if you read my last 3 or 4 posts you can see exactly what my business is....I pay well becasue I want the best, and they deserve the best

I checked - massage and spa ...

Say no more!..... Nudge nudge,grin grin, wink wink. wink.png

O by Jove I think you are onto some thing.clap2.gifcheesy.gifwhistling.giftongue.png