2008 Mitsubishi Triton Plus Knocking Sound

eladblum

having a problem with my nearly 5 year old mitsubishi triton plus.....

when driving in the town at a slow speed, let's say 5-10 km/h, i put my foot on the clutch to slow down or come to a stop. I here this not so loud knocking sound coming from what i think to be the underneath of the truck. I can feel it through the steering wheel and also faintly through the seat. Me being me and my wife being Thai we take it to the dealership where we have always had the truck serviced. They tell me it's the ball bearings in the steering column ( excuse any wrongly used technical terms as i'm not a mechanic ). So thinking that sounds possible we had it changed. the steering has certainly improved BUT , you guessed it, the noise was still there. Actually the noise is now possibly even louder.....PLEASE can anyone suggest what to do or what is wrong so i can go back and tell the mitsubishi dealership what i think of them after charging me 9,300 baht and not fixing the problem.....

yours hopingfully

a pissed off, under paid and now even poorer teacher from Phitsanulok.

Edited by eladblum

Check if the knocking noise occurs with the Triton stationary, engine running and pressing the clutch pedal. If the noise occurs regardless of road speed it might be clutch related such as the pressure plate release bearing.

A lot of dealers are better at changing oil than diagnosing problems. You might be better off with a good local mechanic if you can find one. Maybe a member from Phitsanulok can recommend a mechanic.

Check if the knocking noise occurs with the Triton stationary, engine running and pressing the clutch pedal. If the noise occurs regardless of road speed it might be clutch related such as the pressure plate release bearing.

A lot of dealers are better at changing oil than diagnosing problems. You might be better off with a good local mechanic if you can find one. Maybe a member from Phitsanulok can recommend a mechanic.

Yep, if it is this you will feel it in the pedal.

if you tell them there is a problem with the steering, that is what they will fix!

Drive on a deserted stretch of road at say 20-30 kms per hour, coast with the vehicle in neutral and let it slow down. Noise or not.

Rev the engine very slightly. Noise of not?

Do the same thing but apply the brakes gently. Noise of not?

Do the same thing but depress the clutch. Noise or not?

In first gear drive at 5-10 kph and gently touch the throttle to increase speed slightly then let of to decrease, it there a knock during transition for on power to off power? Does the noise come from the front the back or the middle?

Edited by VocalNeal

Drive on a deserted stretch of road at say 20-30 kms per hour, coast with the vehicle in neutral and let it slow down. Noise or not.

Rev the engine very slightly. Noise of not?

Do the same thing but apply the brakes gently. Noise of not?

Do the same thing but depress the clutch. Noise or not?

In first gear drive at 5-10 kph and gently touch the throttle to increase speed slightly then let of to decrease, it there a knock during transition for on power to off power? Does the noise come from the front the back or the middle?

Cheers fellas,

I'll do that and update with the test results.

If it was a worn or broken gearbox mount you would feel it when holding the shifter. One mans knocking noise is another mans clunking noise. If it's the thrust bearing it usually makes a distinct whirring noise when you depress the clutch. My guess is it's to do with the damper springs in the clutch disk itself. They maybe fatigued because of overheating and not doing their job.

• 4 months later...

I have the same car and the same fault. It is either in the steering rack or the right hand front shock, as the steering drop link is braced to the top of the suspension mount. My car is still under warrantee but Mitsubishi dont want to know as the dealer who serviced it didnt stamp the service book. I have tried emailing Mitsubishi in Bangkok but they cant be botherd either. So much for Japanese honour !. when they will not honour the warantees. I have got my car in bits at the moment and will let you know what I find.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The problem with my car turned out to be the right front shock absorber. There is no gas left inside it and the oil is aerating after about 20 km of driving When the shocks are fitted in the factory, they put a paint mark down the studs and nuts on the top mount to show that they have been torqued up. These didnt line up on mine which proves that the mitsi main dealer is borrowing parts from one car to fix another. Now I do my own servicing and will not be taking the car back to the main dealer CHOP SHOPS.

• Like 1

I have a 3.2 4x4 making the same noise. I was wondering what you found, Colin2?

Is the car making a noise all the time or only after several km s from cold ?. Is it only on cornering or in a straight line ?. Can you feel it through the steering wheel or peddles ?. How many km s has the car done ?. Has the noise just started or is it getting worse ?.

Mitsubishi. bah.gif I only drive one because I got it at a good price! rolleyes.gif

Well that applies to anything that's not a Bugatti, Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley or Porsche LOL

Oh, so other people only buy what they drive because they got it for a good price! I though some people bought vehicles because they liked the brand or model or colour.

Mitsubishi. bah.gif I only drive one because I got it at a good price! rolleyes.gif

Well that applies to anything that's not a Bugatti, Ferrari, Lambo, Bentley or Porsche LOL

Oh, so other people only buy what they drive because they got it for a good price! I though some people bought vehicles because they liked the brand or model or colour.

They just learn how to find happiness in what they can afford :)

Is the car making a noise all the time or only after several km s from cold ?. Is it only on cornering or in a straight line ?. Can you feel it through the steering wheel or peddles ?. How many km s has the car done ?. Has the noise just started or is it getting worse ?.

I had the tracking done, wheels balanced and the power steering fluid changed last week, since then i haven't noticed the knocking noise. But I now have a different problem, the steering wheel shakes a lot once I get over 80 kmh. I'm going to try and get that sorted today.

I had the tracking done, wheels balanced and the power steering fluid changed last week, since then i haven't noticed the knocking noise. But I now have a different problem, the steering wheel shakes a lot once I get over 80 kmh. I'm going to try and get that sorted today.

Thats the front wheels out of balance. Go back and get them to balance them properly.

Thats the front wheels out of balance. Go back and get them to balance them properly.

Did that but still shaking. They showed me how my tires have deformed, so It looks like new tires are on the cards. I deflated them to 30 psi and things do seem to have calmed down a fair bit. it's only really bad when I'm driving on concrete roads.