"tourist" Things To Do In Cm With Gf?

Swiss1960

Thanks in advance for giving me some ideas about things to do in Chiang Mai when I will drop by for 3 days in january. Will be there with my girlfriend and looking for the "must see" of this city. It's our first visit and just want to stroll around and see the main attractions. Any ideas and recommendations highly appreciated.

P.S.: no, not interested in night life and bars and clubs.

night safari, tiger kingdom is pretty cool if you havent been in a zoo for quite sometime. chiang mai zoo is alittle disappointing though.

doi suthep temple is pretty nice and i really enjoyed kantoke dinner since i never really see traditional dances before

for something more outdoors would be flight of the gibbon, atv rides, shooting range =)

and of course, night bazaars which i personally dont really enjoyed it

Edited by barefoot1988

Hiking in and around Doi Sutthep. It is the big mountain with the temple near the top. The hikes can be long or short depending on your ability. The trail from Huaykaew waterfall to where the trail comes back on the road is pretty good and well traveled. You can even swim in the few tiny waterfall pools.

Check Greenside's map of Chiang Mai at the top of page in the saved section. It helps to orient yourself. The moat around the inner city is a mile square, or about 1.6 km per side. It gives you some perspective of size and distance.

There is a small lake/reservoir to the north west of Chiang Mai called Huay Tung Thao. It is about 4 km on a paved road around the lake and there are places to eat in various spots. There is also a bush road at the north end that connects up with roads behind Doi Sutthep. The lake is about 12 km from the moat and is suitable for swimming. At least the Thais swim there.

Edited by rene123

when you arrive; each and every tourst agency has dozens of "tourist" leaflets/flyers of every excursion going........but why not try a "free" tuk tuk excursion.......it would be a shame not to share your experience with friends later..w00t.gif

when you arrive; each and every tourst agency has dozens of "tourist" leaflets/flyers of every excursion going........but why not try a "free" tuk tuk excursion.......it would be a shame not to share your experience with friends later..w00t.gif

Hehe... being new to Chiang Mai does not mean being Newbie to Thailand and it's tuktuk "society" tongue.png

For all others: Thanks for the (mostly) valuable input.

It would help to know what your interests are before we just start guessing. That way someone with a bit of local knowledge could point you in the right direction. Some people like zoos and others hate them. Some people only want to shop and eat.

Three days?

Day one: mooch around moat and old town by bicycle, taking in Thapae Gate and Wat Phra Sing/Wat Chedi Luang within, and maybe up to Doi Suthep in afternoon (by songthaew or motorbike).

Day two: rent a bike and head up Doi Suthep or out to Mae Sa Valley (north) and see the elephants, then waterfall restaurant.

Day three: chill out and see the Night Bazaar at night.

Wiktravel's CM page gives a succinct look at most options.

Edited by jackr