Going Into Negotiations To Open A 7-11 Franchise - Help Needed

I would need some Help for my Negotiations to open a 7-11 Franchise.

I have found the right Place - I have a Thai Girlfriend, but her English is not good enough

to explain me all and the exact Details about the Conditions and about the Contract.

Anybody can give me a "helping Hand" ?

it would be very much appreciated

Dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

until you convince us of your GFs qualifications. 7-11s are not toys like beauty saloons, and bars are.........................lol.

i pray you didnt meet in a drinking establishment knid of place.

My Girlfriend is working in a 5 Star Hotel Spa - and I am very well aware about your mentoned Concerns

I will let 7-11 decide, if she has the Qualification to be the Franchise Manager - if not, I will find someone else

thanks anyway..

Edited by TenCent

on a serious note.....lol. if you only buying one unit 7-11 does the negotiating-not you!

is she a massuese???? my back aches!

and if your gf doesnt pass the test and you need to find someone else you prolly need to find a new girl too!!!!!

NOTE- not to op but others- dont do business with people you see nude!

Edited by cheechoo

Dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

until you convince us of your GFs qualifications. 7-11s are not toys like beauty saloons, and bars are.........................lol.

i pray you didnt meet in a drinking establishment knid of place.

My Girlfriend is working in a 5 Star Hotel Spa - and I am very well aware about your mentoned Concerns

I will let 7-11 decide, if she has the Qualification to be the Franchise Manager - if not, I will find someone else

thanks anyway..

Check out the benefits.

If it is not your property, and not your Gf doing the manager job, what will be your interest?

How much would it be, in case, you put the money on a fixed deposit account?

Afaik, it's a good deal, for the owner of the property, and for the franchiser, in case, his family is in the manager position. Plus the one or the other brother (???) or sister is employed, too. So it is the best deal, if the franchiser is owning the property, and the family runs the 7/11.

did you ask for a 'english written contract' copy? If i were you, I would certainly request a english copy of the contract.

If not, there are some other alternative convenience stores aligning for Thailand such as 'Family Mart' 'Lawson', Circle K,' perhaps

you should look into their franchise ventures as well; ask for a English contract copy.

did you ask for a 'english written contract' copy? If i were you, I would certainly request a english copy of the contract.

If not, there are some other alternative convenience stores aligning for Thailand such as 'Family Mart' 'Lawson', Circle K,' perhaps

you should look into their franchise ventures as well; ask for a English contract copy.

Personally if I was getting into contractual stuff, which was written in a language I didnt understand, involving what one assumes is quite a significant amount of money...I would retain a lawyer, who understands thew language said contract was written in to act on my behalf....too simple an answer ?.....rolleyes.gif

actually too complex.

the question simply put is its a GIRLFRIEND he trying to impress!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! if i were op id get the girl a stall @ mbk. $90 a month what can go wrong other than losing a few hundred dollars.

• Like 1

There's one or two topics already on this 7-11 franchise stuff like this one - http://www.thaivisa....se/page__hl__ 7 . I think one thing mentioned is that 7-11 decide where your shop will be and not you. Anyway best of luck.

Thats correct, most people think they can see a building and open a franchise, its not so, after 12 months training you will be allocated an opening, you can refuse and wait for another......location is the key as is for most business. They can be profitable but 24/7 you need to be on call just dosnt seem worth it.

Sorry OP , I would not think for one minute to go down this path unless you can read and speak Thai fluently.

Without this you will never be in control.

You will no doubt realise that it will take a considerable amount of time (many years) to see a return on your invesrment and so much of your time.

Your first major order should include many packs of paracetamol for the headaches this will bring you.

But if that is what you really want, then best of luck to you. Just be very very careful.

I do business with ppl I see nude all the time, and so do most of my male friends. Except for a few odd experiences it generally seems to work out just fine for everyone involved. In fact I seem to have more luck doing business with ppl I see nude, than with ppl I don't see nude!

One of the things that made me decide to never ever open a 7-11 is that they control where a shop will be opened. We had a good location and it would probably work, except 7-11 does not guarantee that another one will be opened right across the street. There is no zoning. If 7-11 finds the location good enough for 2 stores, there goes half of your sales and up to 75% of your profit.

108 or family mart are other options, but i not investigated those.

Edited by Khun Jean
  • Like 1

One very important thing to consider is her ability to manage the store, and the employees, because you can not. You do not speak Thai so you can do absolutely nothing as far as the store is concerned. If she is not the manager where she works now then seriously consider her ability.

With a 7-11 franchise you will be paying a percentage to the franchiser, so the first time she takes money out of the 'till to give to a needy relative, or friend, or if any of the employees do more than once, you are out of business, with a lawsuit over you.

On the business side, you will need a lawyer (on yearly retainer. Someone falls, or gets injured, you can be criminally libel), a bookkeeper/accountant, banker, and if she has no management education/experience, then you will need a manager, and assistant managers for the shifts (that you can trust, not her, as she trusts everyone, even those she knows steal). As my Indian business friends put it, and I have seen many times, Thais are real good workers, but bad managers for the most part (the business does not come first).

Sunbelt Asia has very good English speaking attorneys that can help in all areas to get you/her set up.

One thing I would recommend though. Don't get her an expensive 7-11 business until you marry her, as it is a big investment, with long term responsibilties that one can not just walk away from when the relationship sours. It is a long term investment with long term legal responsibilities.

Edited by koolbreez

Personally if I was getting into contractual stuff, which was written in a language I didnt understand, involving what one assumes is quite a significant amount of money...I would retain a lawyer, who understands thew language said contract was written in to act on my behalf....too simple an answer ?.....rolleyes.gif

well yes only if you can retain a 'lawyer' who can translate the proper terminology of contract, I've seen lawyers here that

are very poor in english skills.

I would check with Lotus Express or another FamilyMart.

Dealing with the #1 on the market, 7-11, may prove very hard in terms of negotiations, conditions... Even more difficult to manage if you're a foreigner.

Other brands may be more flexible/attractive.

But globally, yes, first priority is prudence and anticipating the worst (in all fields) before making the final decision. A reliable lawyer would be a big plus (not a relative's cousin).

There's one or two topics already on this 7-11 franchise stuff like this one - http://www.thaivisa....se/page__hl__ 7 . I think one thing mentioned is that 7-11 decide where your shop will be and not you. Anyway best of luck.

Thats correct, most people think they can see a building and open a franchise, its not so, after 12 months training you will be allocated an opening, you can refuse and wait for another......location is the key as is for most business. They can be profitable but 24/7 you need to be on call just dosnt seem worth it.

You don't need to be on call 24/7. You can delegate the task.

It is not easy to find good staff.

That's very true. But if you can't find good staff then you shouldn't be running a business like 7/11. Those types of business need reliable staff, so need to be run by people that are able to find and keep such staff. It's not life being on call 24/7. But having said that, most 7/11s seem quite well run to me. Although I obviously don't know what goes on behind the scenes.

You can send a relative / friend / whoever to be trained by 7-11 or you can just accept whoever they send from their staff training. Either way you're getting someone who is trained by 7-11 whether you like it or not.

One of the things that made me decide to never ever open a 7-11 is that they control where a shop will be opened. We had a good location and it would probably work, except 7-11 does not guarantee that another one will be opened right across the street. There is no zoning. If 7-11 finds the location good enough for 2 stores, there goes half of your sales and up to 75% of your profit.

108 or family mart are other options, but i not investigated those.

Yep Jean there are three 7/11's within 500 metres of my place.

I do business with ppl I see nude all the time, and so do most of my male friends. Except for a few odd experiences it generally seems to work out just fine for everyone involved. In fact I seem to have more luck doing business with ppl I see nude, than with ppl I don't see nude!

Me to, I do my Business every Wednesday after 22.00 near Azoke Soi 23 :-)

I hang out in the Century Mall on Rangnaam which is near where I live and there's a bunch of stalls, mostly selling make-up, run by cute gals with farang sponsors. I doubt they make anywhere close to what a successful 7-11 does but it's a pleasant environment, the gals seem happy so they must be doing reasonably, and the investment/headache seem a lot less than would be for running a franchise.

If I were the OP I would get my feet wet first in a mall stall.