Cm Honda Dealer For Bike Maintanance

bottledwater

Hi,

I recently picked up a 10 year old Honda Wave with about 62,000 Kilometers on it. I want to take it to a mechanic and have it given a going over by a professional. I think I will take it to the Honda Dealer on kaew nawarat road (here in CM). Anyone have any experience with them good or bad? I haven't dealt with Thai mechanics/dealerships ever so I don't know what to expect. I just feel better going to a dealer, but who knows?

I don't have problems with the bike but I'd like a mechanic to look at what should be looked at (given the bike's age/kilometers) and fix what needs fixing or replacing (if anything). In other words, back home a mechanic can look at a book and say: Bike X with this age and these miles should have these parts serviced as preventive maintenance . . . . Do they have this concept in Thailand? (I'm not trying to be funny, its just preventing a future problem from happening doesn't seem to be in the local repertoire) And will the Honda Dealer on Kaew Nawarat understand what I want. At the least an oil change.

Thanks for any advice opinions!

The one on Kaew Nawarat is well recommended. Too well, maybe because they have a long backlog.

I took mine in with an unidentified engine problem and it took a lot of time and talking to get them to check it out.

They kept asking what was wrong with it, what did I want done? Inspect and fix any problems is what I wanted. Same as you.

Apparently, that is not a request they were familiar with.

Finally they diagnosed the problem and said it would take 2-3 weeks because they had so many ahead of me.

Yeah, why bother with brake parts and fluid, engine compression, suspension, stuff like that.

A 10 year old Honda Wave probably does not have disc brakes, engine compression (I take this as a joke) suspension problems should be quite obvious to the owner of the bike. So "yeah", there's not much to worry about. smile.png

For anything serious I always go to the Honda Dealer at Niyom Pannich near Airport Plaza. But they too are busy and sometimes you have to leave the bike for 2-3 days. For routine stuff and repairs when you need it done right away I always go to Nakhornping around the corner from the U.S. Consulate. No English spoken there.

Well it looks like it will be an adventure. Nothing really "wrong" with the bike, its just a little old and "new" to me. Wanted someone to check it out for piece of mind. It sounds like, as I feared, this concept might be a bit foreign. Well, I can at least get the fluids changed and new spark plug.

On a related topic, when my bike idles the headlight is really dim, then of course brightens up with the increase of RPMs. Would this be from an old battery? Or is it a symptom of something else? And should I do something about it? Sorry I'm just not a motorhead. I'm used to following a recommended servicing schedule and leaving it at that . . .

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Well it looks like it will be an adventure. Nothing really "wrong" with the bike, its just a little old and "new" to me. Wanted someone to check it out for piece of mind. It sounds like, as I feared, this concept might be a bit foreign. Well, I can at least get the fluids changed and new spark plug.

On a related topic, when my bike idles the headlight is really dim, then of course brightens up with the increase of RPMs. Would this be from an old battery? Or is it a symptom of something else? And should I do something about it? Sorry I'm just not a motorhead. I'm used to following a recommended servicing schedule and leaving it at that . . .

Thanks everyone for your comments!

I'd ignore any village-idiots saying there is nothing you should do about a bike you just bought and know nothing about. Having it properly checked out by someone competent as soon as possible, as you first indicated is definitely the smart thing to do, lest you suddenly find out at an unfortunate moment that none of your brakes are working due to the 10 year old, never oiled, cables having snapped.

Unfortunately it might be a bit difficult to explain that you want somebody to thoroughly check out the bike without you knowing there is anything wrong. Typically they charge for the parts (which they of course get a commission on, just like in the west) plus a small service charge, but not for checking things. Naturally they then don't want to spend an hour looking at everything, not finding any problems, and then not having anything to charge you for.

Edited by Awk

On a related topic, when my bike idles the headlight is really dim, then of course brightens up with the increase of RPMs. Would this be from an old battery? Or is it a symptom of something else? And should I do something about it? Sorry I'm just not a motorhead. I'm used to following a recommended servicing schedule and leaving it at that . .

You need a new battery.

Had the same issue 6 mo. ago with my Wave, knew it was battery.

Went to dealer, they said the same.

Replaced battery, bright headlight at idle RPM now.

Total cost was 700 B at Nat, I paid cash for the part, and install was free.