Great British Beers And Ciders

OldeBellPedr

A few weeks ago, I was complaining at the bar about the fact that, whilst there are loads of excellent Belgian And German beers in Chiang Mai, there are few British ones, well someone at the British trade office must have been in The Olde Bell that evening, because, a matter of weeks later we have a really good selection of British beers for you to sample.

Try: Greene King Abbot Ale

Ruddles County

Morland's Old Golden Hen

Fuller's London Pride

Greene King Suffolk Springer

Fuller's London Porter

Bell haven 80/-

There are a few others as well. We don't guarantee to have all of them at any one time, but we aim to stock at least 4 at any one time.

We also sell draught Guinness and Kilkenny Irish Ale so beer drinking in Chiang Mai doesn't have to be confined to lager!

If supplies keep coming through from Bangkok we hope to try a 'Real Ale' promotion soon. In the meantime, do pop in for a pint of decent ale while we've got it!!

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make it sound like beer is a drink to be treated like the more expensive wines.

Do you pour a little in a glass and swish it around smell it and then take a small sip?

Not being a wine conosour (obviously not a speller either) I might have missed a step or put them out of order. Sorry about that.

You make it sound like beer is a drink to be treated like the more expensive wines.

Do you pour a little in a glass and swish it around smell it and then take a small sip?

Not being a wine conosour (obviously not a speller either) I might have missed a step or put them out of order. Sorry about that.

You'd have to be a Brit to understand our love affair with real ales, in an inherited/upbringing thing.

• Like 2

You'd have to be a Brit to understand our love affair with real ales, in an inherited/upbringing thing.

Is that why fosters and 4xxxx is sold all over., the love has gone tongue.png

I might be wrong but I think it's perhaps the older generation of Brits who are the real conesewers (just for Dolly) of real ale, camera et al, that Fosters stuff and similar lagers, well, they're not really real ales, are they!

I might be wrong but I think it's perhaps the older generation of Brits who are the real conesewers (just for Dolly) of real ale, camera et al, that Fosters stuff and similar lagers, well, they're not really real ales, are they!

Really most Aussies wouldn,t drink fosters/ 4x, cats piss. VB is up with the best. By the way, i tried to find on TV the cheapest beer in Chiang Mai but it hasn,t come up as a previous post. I have heard of half moon bar and the newly reopened Midnight Bar at 65bt per Large. any help from Tv appreciated

It's not just Fosters and similar lagers that aren't real ales. Even the best lagers are not real ales for a very simple reason -- lagers are not ales.

Edited by OriginalPoster
  • Like 1

It's not just Fosters and similar lagers that aren't real ales. Even the best lagers are not real ales for a very simple reason -- lagers are not ales.

You overlooked the fact that my remarks ended with an exclamation mark and not a question mark.

I'm not sure about having to be a Brit. Go brewery hopping in Portland, Oregon. One place had a chocolate cake with some stout and that stout was delicious with the cake!

You overlooked the fact that my remarks ended with an exclamation mark and not a question mark.

OK, I see what you mean. A lot of people get confused between ales and lagers though, even some pub owners in CM do. For instance, I’ve seen both Leo and Beer Lao dark listed on menus at local pubs as being ales (though not at the Old Bell).

OK I will keep a stiff upper lip

In some quarters, yes beer is appreciated in a similar fashion as wine. Though in the case of English ales the ritual would not be as you describe, generally a pint glass is used for them. Fancy glasses and raising your pinky in the air while sipping your beer are generally reserved for Belgian beers.

• Like 1

OK I will keep a stiff upper lip

You see there's another myth exploded, it's nigh on impossible to sup a pint of ale with a rigid upper lip. biggrin.png

• Like 1

In some quarters, yes beer is appreciated in a similar fashion as wine. Though in the case of English ales the ritual would not be as you describe, generally a pint glass is used for them. Fancy glasses and raising your pinky in the air while sipping your beer are generally reserved for Belgian beers.

In days not that far long gone, an publican or inn keeper would recieve his ale from the brewey in oak casks that pretty much had to go through a time honored ritual before the contents were served to customers. The beer had to settle for a few days, then the barrel would be tapped with a slightly porus plug, later this would be replaced with a larger more porus plug and so on until the pressure inside the barrel had normalised, all of this in the name of not disturbing the ale, eventually the customer would order and recieve his pint and woe betide any inn keeper who had not followed the above process correctly because the customers would know and all h_ll would break loose.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about having to be a Brit. Go brewery hopping in Portland, Oregon. One place had a chocolate cake with some stout and that stout was delicious with the cake!

One of my 'Real Ale' connoisseurs is from Portland, Oregon and he brought me back a brochure of real Ale pubs in Portland and,as you say Elaine, there is an incredible range of beers and hostelries!

As for Australia, well, fine beverage though VB may be, a real ale it ain't. Coopers from Adelaide is probably the nearest to the spirit of a real ale that we can get in Chaing Mai, but my favorite Aussie beer is the Golden Ale produced by James Squire's of Sydney.

We can certainly get Fuller's. ESB if there is a demand for it, but at the moment all our real ale fridge space is taken!!

I miss that first taste; the foamy white moustache.............lets say the beer prayer together:

Our lager,

Which art in barrels,

Hallowed be thy drink.

Thy will be drunk, (I will be drunk),

At home as it is in the pub.

Give us this day our foamy head,

And forgive us our spillage's,

As we forgive those who spill against us.

And lead us not to incarceration,

But deliver us from hangovers.

For thine is the beer, The bitter, The lager.

BARMEN.

Ummmm. How many have you had already and is there a tune to go with this? (nice.. thank you).

One of my 'Real Ale' connoisseurs is from Portland, Oregon and he brought me back a brochure of real Ale pubs in Portland and,as you say Elaine, there is an incredible range of beers and hostelries!

As for Australia, well, fine beverage though VB may be, a real ale it ain't. Coopers from Adelaide is probably the nearest to the spirit of a real ale that we can get in Chaing Mai, but my favorite Aussie beer is the Golden Ale produced by James Squire's of Sydney.

We can certainly get Fuller's. ESB if there is a demand for it, but at the moment all our real ale fridge space is taken!!

You're making a good effort but you might want to spend some more time with your staff explaining some of the basic concepts to them. For starters, when someone orders a bottle one of those ales they should assume that you want a pint glass and when they go to get a glass they should not need to ask the customer "do you want ice?" That might sound unrealistic given that this is Thailand and those are the customs, but you're running a specialty place and selling expensive beers to people that will presumably appreciate them, not selling Leo at a Karaoke lounge.

Yes, there are sados the world over, though we all know both those are lagers and about on par with Heineken... even Budweiser pips them. Seem to remember doing Carlton in Oz at some point and local stouts which weren't bad. Vitamin B is alright for a pint, but is gut-rot, while Tooheys New is getting back up towards Fosters.. is their ale any good? Having spent time there, I never could understand--what with the drinking culture--why Aussie was devoid of a decent beer of its own. Moving down to NZ, while I thought Steinlager was absolutely horrendous, I found Speights on the South Island to be a pretty tasty ale and keeps going down well after several pints.

Edited by jackr

In days not that far long gone, an publican or inn keeper would recieve his ale from the brewey in oak casks that pretty much had to go through a time honored ritual before the contents were served to customers. The beer had to settle for a few days, then the barrel would be tapped with a slightly porus plug, later this would be replaced with a larger more porus plug and so on until the pressure inside the barrel had normalised, all of this in the name of not disturbing the ale, eventually the customer would order and recieve his pint and woe betide any inn keeper who had not followed the above process correctly because the customers would know and all h_ll would break loose.

I knew I was rite. Good English beer and ale has gone down hill. No respect any more.bah.gif

I never got into the business of looking for a fine beer. It was OK with me if you didn't appreciate the fine taste of Rainier Beer. Never went into the building all though I passed it quite often in the old days when it was next to the freeway. But my cousin was the sales manager.

I miss that first taste; the foamy white moustache.............lets say the beer prayer together:

Our lager,

Which art in barrels,

Hallowed be thy drink.

BARMEN.

Ummmm. How many have you had already and is there a tune to go with this? (nice.. thank you).

a tune!!! a tune!!! are you winding us up.............the TUNE is the Christians Lords Prayer, its a drone not a tune.

does that help? maybe you can appreciate a bit more now

Our lager,

Which art in barrels,

Hallowed be thy drink.

BARMEN.

a tune!!! a tune!!! are you winding us up.............the TUNE is the Christians Lords Prayer, its a drone not a tune.

does that help? maybe you can appreciate a bit more now

I thought you were serious and it was a alkies prayer.

Dam had it half memorized.sad.png

As someone who, despite owning pubs, has 98% given up drinking, I feel a magnetic pull as I see cider bottles in Rimping.

I drool at the thought of a lovely cold cider, and may even like it mixed with soda, which I do with beer.

I would love to drink a wine glass full now and again. But as I'd feel wrong throwing away 3/4 of an (expensive) bottle each time, is there any way I could preserve it and it's fizz over a period of days?

Edited by cheeryble