Palm Oil Planttions And Suppliers

Can anyone please assist me in pointing me in the direction of the primary locations (I am aware of chonburri - sp?) and manufacturers of palm oil.

I've tried as much as I can on the internet, but as it is a primary industry it is not as wired as most others.

Thanks in advance.

Sing

(inadvertently posted this in anotehr area as well - apologies)

Your welcome - however from my very limited experience i beleive that thailand is not the best location for palm trees - malaysia and indo are better for this - i have spoken to a uk company that has alot of land in malaysia and indo and they are selling malayisa as they can get a better price for their land and buy alot more land in indo.

Is there a palm growers assiciation in thailand ?

Also for general co info the yellow pages online can be a good source.

Care to say what your interest in this is ?

Umm, thanks Bob - seeing as I mentioned Krabi and Chonburri guess I should have spelled out that it should be in THAILAND.

Cheers.

Sure. We currently import out palmoil from Malaysia and re-export it - after refining - to Europe. Our Malaysian arm cannot get an export license from the government as they have already given out two and that's about it for now. Reason is that we are not Muslim-Malay owned, known as Bumiputera ownership - and we have no relatives in government :o See, this not only happens in Thailand.

We don't trust Indonesia at all, neither politically nor in terms of safety or adhering to contractual agreements.

That leaves: Thailand . . . Also, my wife's sister married a Thai and has Thai nationaily now, so land ownership is not a problem.

I know there are some plantations in Cambodia as well, but we have no intention of going tropo.

Ahhh, business is so much fun.

Hello Khun Bob,

Thanks for your offer of assitance - are these Bumi's you know Datuks or Datins?

Sadly we were told that no more licences are to be handed out for exporting Bio-Diesel and you can't buy palmoil as such without the right permissions etc . . . And they are in the hands of: Bumis.

Quite frustrating, really.

Fraid there not datuks or datins not...... However, through their family they will know such people. But I dont know how cooperative they would be...

I'm in malaysia right now and i see malaysia becoming more and more like the uk with red tape - i would have thought malaysia would be jumping up and down to get more export of bio-deisel utilising palm oil as an additive/substitute for petrol/diesel - especially now it is becoming apparent/is the case that new oil supplies are limited/non existant in the near/mid range.

A few months ago i was interested in buying shares in a uk listed company that produces palm oil in indo and malaysia..

Red tape is not the problem, it's the tape that's not visible by us being Chinese Malaysian and Non-Malaysian.

The export licenses have already been haneed out to the highest (ahem) bidder and relatives of whoever and they regulate pricing so there is no competition.

The same goes for RBD which is regulated by the MPOB. And to buy RBD requires a license as well - also a letter of intent to the potential supplier. You can't really get a letter of intent from a supplier before you have the license to allow you to get a letter of intent . . . . You can see, it's sysyphean.

CPO is absolutely not possible to purchase . . .

Amazing, simply amazing..

Red tape is not the problem, it's the tape that's not visible by us being Chinese Malaysian and Non-Malaysian.

The export licenses have already been haneed out to the highest (ahem) bidder and relatives of whoever and they regulate pricing so there is no competition.

The same goes for RBD which is regulated by the MPOB. And to buy RBD requires a license as well - also a letter of intent to the potential supplier. You can't really get a letter of intent from a supplier before you have the license to allow you to get a letter of intent . . . . You can see, it's sysyphean.

CPO is absolutely not possible to purchase . . .

Amazing, simply amazing..

According to the December 8th issue of the Bangkok Post, Thailand is looking to promote at least 5 million Rai of land for palm oil plantations. The King wishes to make biodiesel BD10 by 2010. Bangkok Petroleum, GoldenBioDiesel, and numerous other companies are expanding their processing plants from micro-stations to macro-exporters. But the main idea of the article is the promotion of independence of foreign oil imported into Thailand for what is about to explode and that is the domestic infrastructure section. There are already 12 sub-stations that sell BD5 in the center of Thailand, so Semi-trucks, Lorries, etc... will be running on palm in the future....gooooood.

I am in contact with many landowners in Chumphon Province going nuts over this. They really want to help decrease the dependence of foreign petrol. My question is why do you wish to export palm oil to Europe when Europe can't even stop Chiniese shoes from flooding their markets? They have their Oilopoly, so why not attempt to start someplace by model, and show the rest of the world by example. Landman.

According to the December 8th issue of the Bangkok Post, Thailand is looking to promote at least 5 million Rai of land for palm oil plantations. The King wishes to make biodiesel BD10 by 2010. Bangkok Petroleum, GoldenBioDiesel, and numerous other companies are expanding their processing plants from micro-stations to macro-exporters. But the main idea of the article is the promotion of independence of foreign oil imported into Thailand for what is about to explode and that is the domestic infrastructure section. There are already 12 sub-stations that sell BD5 in the center of Thailand, so Semi-trucks, Lorries, etc... will be running on palm in the future....gooooood.

I am in contact with many landowners in Chumphon Province going nuts over this. They really want to help decrease the dependence of foreign petrol. My question is why do you wish to export palm oil to Europe when Europe can't even stop Chiniese shoes from flooding their markets? They have their Oilopoly, so why not attempt to start someplace by model, and show the rest of the world by example. Landman.

Thanks for your post, the theory is great but Thailand is simply not doing enough to promote production of BD - every day more and more plantation land is destroyed to make way for golf courses (Krabi-area) and more quick-yielding crops (north)

I guess a simple reason why shipping this stuff to Europe is that that is where the money is for this. Thailand, as well as most other Asian countries, subsidise their petrol and this makes it economically unviable to get into BD. The UK and northern Europe pay by far the highest prices for Diesel and as long as the oil price stays above USD60/barrel BD will be a good option.

Absolutely agree that Asia should get more into BD, but government policies, especially in Malaysia, will ensure that there is no flow-through effect of wealth creation (AGAIN) as they are keeping it so tightly controlled and in the hands of the usual few cronies and relatives.

On the otehr hand, if we buy our BD from a Thai supplier and sell it to Europe we will be doing our bit to address the balance of trade in our miniscule way.

Thanks for the replies - Morgan, we've tried Univanich, but their business model doesn't gel with ours.

I think that the acreage in golf courses is not a big factor in world oil supply. The north of Thailand does not have a good climate for growing palm. I don't think that people will give up golf because of the high price of diesel....I don't think that it is reasonable to think that people will stop growing food in northern Thailand to produce biodiesel feed stocks. I know that it seems like massive planting of crops to produce biodiesel is a good thing but there are drawbacks...one is that if done improperly it could destroy alot of habitat and another is that you could be reducing the food supply world wide and in effect starving poor people to allow rich people to continue to drive their luxury cars.

I'm all for developing non polluting sources of energy....but with caution.

I think that the acreage in golf courses is not a big factor in world oil supply. The north of Thailand does not have a good climate for growing palm. I don't think that people will give up golf because of the high price of diesel....I don't think that it is reasonable to think that people will stop growing food in northern Thailand to produce biodiesel feed stocks. I know that it seems like massive planting of crops to produce biodiesel is a good thing but there are drawbacks...one is that if done improperly it could destroy alot of habitat and another is that you could be reducing the food supply world wide and in effect starving poor people to allow rich people to continue to drive their luxury cars.

I'm all for developing non polluting sources of energy....but with caution.

I guess I should have said golf course and other non-agrarain purposes. Basically the cost of land in the south is rising too fast to make it viable for Oil Palm planting.

Nor am I advocating replacing feed stocks with plantations only, but you would be surprised that it has been found that parts of the northeast are deemed acceptable in terms of soil and climate.

in effect starving poor people to allow rich people to continue to drive their luxury cars.
I believe that is oversimplifying the issue, but that's anotehr topic we could start to discuss.