Tv Reception In Hotels

thaisabai

I have been in almost every hotel in Pattaya over the past 25 years (except the very high end exclusive ones) and I am always experiencing TV reception problems.

Espacially with the 3 English movie channels that are widely offered as a standard (I believe Pattaya Plus, Pattaya 1/movies 5 and Sophon cable, in my present hotel on channel 2, 28 and 42).

It is very annoying, either you have snow, strange noises, blurred picture, no sound, and so on.........

Is it that the hotel owners don't invest in sophisticated equipment, or is the TV station that is the problem.

Tonight I told the desk at Sutus court that I haven't had any sound on channel 2 (Pattaya Mail/Pattaya Plus) and channel 28 (Sophon cable, movies 5) in a week; and on channel 42 there is noise in the picture every night for about 3-4 hours. they told me it is the TV station.

The interesting thing is that on all 3 channel the problem seems to be mainly during movies only, not between movies when they show news or commercials.

On the other hand, every bar I visit has a perfect TV picture.

What is the problem?

Thaisabai

Over the years - Siam Bayshore , Siam Bayview , Diana Gardens , Diana Inn , Amari etc

Not much difference whne it gets to the local Movie Channels.

Usually watch Aljazeera it's fairly constant

Bit of tongue - in - cheek but get the Drift ?

A combination of both. Mediocre wiring, booster-systems,corroded & cheap China hardware in estate or hotel. Constantly changing signals which require constant adjustments of boosters. Then on the other side insufficient steady (weak) signal, run through big boosters along the way to the end user, from the provider. Pirated movies run from the cheapest home DVD player by the provider. You are right. Almost every place here deals with this problem, or gave up dealing with it. Sophon is the worst provider and only jst now another provider tries finally to break the monopoly in Central Pattaya. When Banglamung Cable tried it a few years back, the fights got real nasty, if you remember. Only option is UBC, which most bars have. TIT. I am happy if I get some main channels in decent quality. PF.smile.png

A combination of both. Mediocre wiring, booster-systems,corroded & cheap China hardware in estate or hotel. Constantly changing signals which require constant adjustments of boosters. Then on the other side insufficient steady (weak) signal, run through big boosters along the way to the end user, from the provider. Pirated movies run from the cheapest home DVD player by the provider. You are right. Almost every place here deals with this problem, or gave up dealing with it. Sophon is the worst provider and only jst now another provider tries finally to break the monopoly in Central Pattaya. When Banglamung Cable tried it a few years back, the fights got real nasty, if you remember. Only option is UBC, which most bars have. TIT. I am happy if I get some main channels in decent quality. PF.smile.png

I would tend to disagree, certainly Sophon used to be as you describe but in the last 18 months the picture quality has improved 10 fold, shame about the content quality of the channels they show though.

Over the years - Siam Bayshore , Siam Bayview , Diana Gardens , Diana Inn , Amari etc

Not much difference whne it gets to the local Movie Channels.

Usually watch Aljazeera it's fairly constant

Bit of tongue - in - cheek but get the Drift ?

No, please explain...

Sophon cable TV is a nasty analogue mess made up of the rebroadcast RF outputs of various domestic satellite boxes, some cheap DVD/VCD players with RF outputs, and some PCs running Windows Media Player again with RF outputs. As such the quality will never get above mediocre. It just isn't possible.

They dont even know how anamorphic widescreen works and apparently have no comprehension of aspect ratios either. And at 300B/month it is well overpriced and someone must be making a lot of money out of it.

that would explain why most bars have excellent picture quality - UBC

I think you are right with your explanation of the problems in central Pattaya hotels.

thanks

you problem is probably a mixture of the hotels poor wiring and implemetation of cable and may also be a poor supply from the street, we have perfect pictures on sophon in our condo building because I fixed the internals adding amplifiers were needed and repairs to the cables and sophon fixed their outside connection, now perfect almost HD pictures on all channels, so it is possible :)

very hotel in Pattaya over 25 years, and you can't find one you like enough to go back?

After all this time you should know the answer to your own question, Sophon cable is used just about everywhere, and the reception is crap all the time.

I am guessing that to install True vision in a hotel is very expensive