Which Are The Best Italian Food Restaurants In Chiang Mai?

rene123

Heheh tongue.png

You kids keep this up & I will turn this car right around & none of you

will have any Italian grub period ! sorry.gif.pagespeed.ce.HIAcli9fRM.png

It always goes this way

Folks cannot believe that some have different tastes & that is what is nice about

having choices in Chiang Mai

The title of the thread is after all

Ragu is the best IMO. whistling.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heheh tongue.png

It always goes this way

Folks cannot believe that some have different tastes & that is what is nice about

+1

Heheh tongue.png

It always goes this way

+1

+2

When we visited Ragu it was more a choice of flat bread pizzas and some sandwiches or pastas. We would call this more of a deli than a restaurant in Italy.

I'm a big Duke's fan, but - other than the pizza - I've never been crazy about the Italian dishes there. I'm a lot more interested in the sandwiches and deserts at Ragu than the other stuff, but one thing about David is he never rests on his laurels. He keeps on improving his food. I'm going to have to try the other dishes before I make up my mind.

The Italian dishes at Ragu seem to be different recipes than ones by the same name at The Dukes (and better IMO).

For sheer value and quality, it's got to be Billy's on Kampangdin rd. Another long standing favourite of mine is Pom Pui on Moonmuang rd soi 1.- lovely garden setting. Franco's former business partner, Sergio also has a nice little place near Thapae gate named Pizza et Vino. For great pizza and lots more, try Yummy Pizza, run by a very affable Aussie called Tony. He's out on the canal rd toward the junction with Royal Flora. Agree with the suggestion of Casa Antonio as an excellent restaurant on the splurge end price wise. Francescas, also on the canal rd is run by an Italian guy who used to be a partner in the excellent but short lived Osteria Wald restaurant. Wow! So many choices! I'm afraid your hips won't be any smaller once you've waded your way through that little lot! Happy eating!

For my money, Yummy Pizza is the best restaurant in Chiang Mai.

I think it's also worthwhile noting that if it's good pasta you're looking for, then some of the best can be found at several of the French restaurants in town.

In particular, I would recommend Chez Marco and La Terrasse.

In my opinion, Marco's is one of the best restaurants in Chiang Mai, and these days it's not any more expensive than The Dukes/Ragu.

I'll let the forum thrash out who has the better food ... While David is a friend and I like The Dukes/Ragu (I'll be eating Duke's pizza tonight), I personally could not put his comfort food in the same category with the dishes prepared by a chef like Marco (who is also a friend). But both are good (as are Giorgio's and Stefano's restaurants and Luciano's Boutique della Pasta) and both have their place in Chiang Mai's diverse and growing culinary riches.

While David is a friend and I like The Dukes/Ragu (I'll be eating Duke's pizza tonight), I personally could not put his comfort food in the same category with the dishes prepared by a chef like Marco (who is also a friend).

French food is obviously different from American food, but I put both places in the same category as far as good quality foreign food that pretty much tastes like it would back home. I like both places for different reasons and don't think one is "better" than the other. It just depends on what I want to eat that night.

Another pointless food thread rolls on.What is the "best" to one person is not to another.It just goes on and on with "expert opinions" and then the vitriol and bitching starts.

Why not just name a new restaurant and what if offers, its location and a short comment and leave it at that.

TV once had over 250 posts on a fish and chip shop....pathetically boring and one reason why Thai Visa Chiang Mai attracts very few newbies.

Another pointless food thread rolls on.What is the "best" to one person is not to another.It just goes on and on with "expert opinions" and then the vitriol and bitching starts.

Why not just name a new restaurant and what if offers, its location and a short comment and leave it at that.

TV once had over 250 posts on a fish and chip shop....pathetically boring and one reason why Thai Visa Chiang Mai attracts very few newbies.

Ha where else can you talk about the best French restaurants when the topic is Italian food.

• 1 year later...

We just returned from Chiang Mai and had a wonderful Italian meal at ITALICS restaurant in Nimmanahaeminda road, Soi 9.

It is part of the new akyra Manor Chiang Mai hotel that opened at the beginning of the year. The restaurant is very trendy and comfortable, with very reasonable prices, my Pizza was around £7 which beats Pizza Express back in the UK hands down.  

Top Tip: Have a sundowner on the Rooftop bar, we only found out about it on the last night. Stunning views across the city.