Xbox Live Settings

nickmanchester2

Well I have a UK Xbox 360 and UK live account

Set my 'locale' settings to Singapore

Followed this guide (well my friend did who is better at routers / DNS setting etc than me)

http://thaweesak.com/2007/04/19/xbox-live-in-malaysia/

and I did manage to play a few games with people from Korea and Japan so I guessed I was connecting to a better server than UK

Now I seem to be playing people from france and UK again - but not sure if the settings have changed back on their own.

I only ever get 1 red bar or maybe 2 yellow bars on my Xbox Live connection.

Anyone any tips on getting better connection speed?

I am dreading calling TOT, but I think I will have to soon - will they know what an xbox is even? will see - wanted to try here first.

I called UK XBOX help and they said that my UK Live account will be fine to use, I wont need to sign up for a new one - but that I may have to talk to my ISP and ask them for the best DNS settings - or the other advice was to buy a DNS in Sing - but I dont see any for sale, so not sure this was good advice.

DNS have nothing to do with speed, you can see this as you knocking on a door and asking the person behind what is his name, the inhabitant( the DNS ) replies fast or not, just because he replies in a certain amount of time doesn't mean he'll open the door quickly.

the only thing you might try to get better route/ping is to use a VPN.

we're not in the right part of the world to play online.

• Like 1

DNS have nothing to do with speed, you can see this as you knocking on a door and asking the person behind what is his name, the inhabitant( the DNS ) replies fast or not, just because he replies in a certain amount of time doesn't mean he'll open the door quickly.

thanks for the reply - I didnt expect to get one.

Yeah, I am no good at COD anyway, but think that combined with the fact that my connection is so bad that I might just forget about it - maybe i'll try online PC gaming and see if that is any better - just got a few games on the http://www.humblebundle.com/ 7 games for $5.64 including Saints Row The Third and Metro 2033 in case you are interested.

Edited by nickmanchester2

Sadly this sums it up perfectly. Internet here just cannot cope with online gaming and such. I tried OnLive Desktop and it failed to even start up saying that my internet connection was not good enough and that was all I needed.

If internet speeds were good enough here for online gaming for consoles there would not still be PS2s in most shopping centres. Maybe some internet cafes have consoles but I am not sure they would be set up for online play, probably just local multiplayer only.