Lantern Direction Different To Usual

OldeBellPedr

We've lived in our apartment above our pub in Chiang Mai for nearly 7 years now and we have windows facing North and South. This is the first year since we opened that the Loi Kratong Lanterns have been primarily visible from the Northern window I.e. the wind is still coming from the South. In every previous year the wind has been coming down from the North by this time of year bringing lovely cool weather with it. Any amateur meteorologists out there have any idea when the cool season is going to start?

I pointed this out this evening. Cool season is absent this year. It just will not come.

Well that's possible but very unlikely. I'm curious what you are basing this forecast on.

Weather is a complex, non-linear chaotic system that is inherently unpredictable, even theoretically.

• Like 1

I pointed this out this evening. Cool season is absent this year. It just will not come.

Well that's possible but very unlikely. I'm curious what you are basing this forecast on.

Weather is a complex, non-linear chaotic system that is inherently unpredictable, even theoretically.

Er.......does that mean we are going to have a cool season? Even a non linear one would be nice!

• Like 1

The warmer than usual weather explains why I have to take showers about 3 or 4 times a day. But, weather patterns seem to be changing throughout the world, and what ever weather you are currently having seems to last longer. All we can do is live with it and try to adjust. Last winter in British Columbia, Canada it seemed to be far wetter than normal and it lasted right through the spring and into the summer. Then, when summer finally arrived, the dry season lasted well into the fall. I think it's the same here in Thailand. This is supposed to be the dry season, but we've had more evening showers than normal and if it doesn't rain there are enough clouds around to make it unstable and threatening. I don't like riding my scooter in the rain and I've put off taking longer trips because I'm uncertain if I will be caught in a storm or not.

Er.......does that mean we are going to have a cool season? Even a non linear one would be nice!

It means that God does play dice with the universe and no one can ever know what is going to happen next.

This has been very unseasonable weather, especially the humidity. Last night the kom loy were hitting a very strong stream from the N and it was raining from ridiculously thin patches of cirro-cumulus clouds.

Nothing to do but enjoy it and BTW check out the moonrise and Jupiter tonight if you haven't already.

The warmer than usual weather explains why I have to take showers about 3 or 4 times a day. But, weather patterns seem to be changing throughout the world, and what ever weather you are currently having seems to last longer. All we can do is live with it and try to adjust. Last winter in British Columbia, Canada it seemed to be far wetter than normal and it lasted right through the spring and into the summer. Then, when summer finally arrived, the dry season lasted well into the fall. I think it's the same here in Thailand. This is supposed to be the dry season, but we've had more evening showers than normal and if it doesn't rain there are enough clouds around to make it unstable and threatening. I don't like riding my scooter in the rain and I've put off taking longer trips because I'm uncertain if I will be caught in a storm or not.

For the last five years I don't remember it raining in the two weeks around and before Loy Khratong.

This year it has rained nearly every day.

For the last five years I don't remember it raining in the two weeks around and before Loy Khratong.

This year it has rained nearly every day.

+1

Don't ask me, but I'm glad that it didn't rain last night until pretty late. Would have ruin the fun for everybody.

but yeah this year has been weird, rain arrives late, 'winter' isn't really here yet and it's still raining!!! <deleted>

If GOD was playing dice, I believe that we got "snake eyed" this year. But WOULD there be 2013???

Man can not keep on ignoring his part in the weather conditions,

True perhaps that volcanoes put more carbon dioxide in the air. But that does not mean that man's contribution is doing nothing. Look at the changing weather patterns all over the world.

We would have to be completely uneducated or idiots to believe we had nothing to do with it. Where I come from In British Columbia you can see it in nature. The ecosystem is changing turtles and dragon flies who are sensitive to the environment are disappearing.

Comparably speaking man may not add that much to the problem but he does add to it and it does not take much to change it when you continually polluting it for hundreds of years,

Man can not keep on ignoring his part in the weather conditions,

True perhaps that volcanoes put more carbon dioxide in the air. But that does not mean that man's contribution is doing nothing. Look at the changing weather patterns all over the world.

We would have to be completely uneducated or idiots to believe we had nothing to do with it. Where I come from In British Columbia you can see it in nature. The ecosystem is changing turtles and dragon flies who are sensitive to the environment are disappearing.

Comparably speaking man may not add that much to the problem but he does add to it and it does not take much to change it when you continually polluting it for hundreds of years,

That is true, and for the most part people are aware of it. And, it has changed for the better since I was a child. Vancouver's False Creek harbour used to be a cesspool of industrial waste. There are salmon returning to a few urban streams that haven't seen salmon for as long as I've been around. My only concern is the sell out to big business who have no concerns other than profit. Timber companies on Vancouver Island are cutting down forests at least 40 years before the timber matures. And, through back room dealings their mandate of turning over control to local communities was "somehow" changed so they now have complete ownership of what was originally public land. I see the same things happening to many of the forests in Thailand where Akka tribe people are displaced from land they've been on for centuries.

It was seven or eight years ago, can't remember which, that chiang mai only got its cool winter weather for about two weeks, in december. The rest of the winter was not cool at all.

The el nino or whatever it's called is i think a seven year cycle where each seventh year the weather is not normal. Here in chiang mai we had a pretty dry wet season relatively this year. My money says that it must have been seven years ago that we barely got a winter, and that we're now on that seven year cycle.

Expect therefore no more than a couple of weeks of the usual cold nights and lovely warm daytimes. My money will further be put on that happening in december. After about two weeks we'll lose our lovely cold spell and that will be that until next november!

You guys in CNX arent alone, back here in Houston its 75 degrees fahrenheit in December.

I think Femi fan is spot on, I remember one year that it was miserably hot around 7-8 years ago.