Subaru Xv

rics21

test drove an XV and loved it. don't love their local dealers though...

hopefully the awd system is more trouble-free than in my Tribute V6 :-(

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Any chance to give a bit more insight, I am particularly interested in the power. Your Mazda V6 has quite decent power (I had a Escape with the same engine few years back, and i thought it had decen oomph). Just worry that it is a bit underpowered.

many thanks....

• 3 months later...

just a quick update. been at Subaru's new dealership on bang-na trad km.18. they have several cars ready for delivery. will test drive the Thai spec version this weekend. previously I tried the Japanese version at Serithai but only in the dealership. first impression of the Thai version is good. navigator is a Garmin unit. black interiors. good choice of body colours. price still 1.35 MB. no first class insurance offered. resale value and servicing troubles me

just a quick update. been at Subaru's new dealership on bang-na trad km.18. they have several cars ready for delivery. will test drive the Thai spec version this weekend. previously I tried the Japanese version at Serithai but only in the dealership. first impression of the Thai version is good. navigator is a Garmin unit. black interiors. good choice of body colours. price still 1.35 MB. no first class insurance offered. resale value and servicing troubles me

I'd be inclined to go with the cx-5 if I was in for the market for a small suv. The one at the motorshow looked very nice. Not sure if there will be a diesel / skyactiv version though.

from what the mazda sales have told me, the CX5 will be delivered in September-October. hope that the diesel version will come here too, but doubt it. booked one with a small fee. they'll call me when they have model specs and pricing available.

good looking car; if made in malaysia then I wonder why it's 2x the US price?!

US reviews say the engine is weak, otherwise the car is nice.

1. Economy of scale.

2. Taxes - cars in the USA are taxed between 0% and 8% (depending on state), this car in Thailand gets 34.5% in excise/interior tax, then another 7% VAT on top. Plus, being a very low volume brand, profits need to be higher to keep dealerships open.

• Like 1

My friend owns a CX-5 with the skyactive engine. The engine itself is great but I could definitely feel the strain with the 4wd system. I think it would be better paired with 2wd. My overall thoughts was that it really is a small SUV. It's basically a jacked up Mazda 3 hatchback, or at least what it felt like on the inside. This is coming from someone who owned a CX-7. Still a good car, i think it will do well in Thailand.

• 1 month later...

I took an XV for a test drive today and was really disappointed in the performance. I wasn't expecting much but the lack of power was very noticeable. Shame really as I really like the car otherwise.

I would have liked to drive it a bit longer and on the open road as I was driving my turbo diesel pickup which has a lot of torque so always noticeable getting into a Gasoline car. At least it has paddle shifters.

They have a few cars with the extra video screens in the headrests and Bluetooth headphones left but I can't help wondering if these will become standard features in newer cars or truly a one off special deal?

Apart from the lack of power it is a very nice car and well put together. It easily passed my open and close the doors a couple of times solid sound and feel test! I always liked Subarus.

I am waiting for the cx5 to make an appearance as I am hoping the 2.5 gasoline will show or I may even spring for the diesel but its a stretch at 1.6-1.7 mill over the subarus 1.35.

Some markets have the turbo diesel XV....

Engine: 1998cc flat four, diesel, turbocharged Max power: 145bhp @ 3600rpm Max torque: 258lb ft @ 1600rpm 0 - 60mph: 9.3 secs (claimed 0-62mph) Top speed: 120mph Price: £24,110 On Sale: now

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/279001/subaru_xv_review.html

Not heard anything of late, but there was talk of the Nissan Juke being made here at a much lower cost than the present imports ? would they have the same engine as other markets ? 1.6 turbocharged ?

• 1 month later...

I ended up getting the XV. I took the Fiesta to the dealers and had an open road drive and it performed well and after owning it for a month am still very happy.

I went off the CX5, the diesels will be too expensive and like someone pointed out, the CX5 looks like a shopping mall car, the XV not....

It's a great car for a thailand with its proper AWD system, ground clearance and suspension to handle the rough stuff and its nicely refined as well with a nice and quiet ride. I drove to Mae Sai and back in a day, very enjoyable. It was chucking it down coming home in the hills and it felt very secure with surprising levels of grip and great brakes. I counted 3 pickups on their roofs in the ditch in a 60klm section.....

Highlights for me are as above and the Kenwood head unit with Garmin GPS, cruise control, paddle shifters (great for down hill engine braking), pretty much eveything on steering whell comtrols amd good economy.

It's not massive but has good rear legroom and I had 4 bags of cement in the back without folding the seats.

I've always had good experiences with Subarus and hope this one will also deliver. The dealer here in Chiang Mai is in a new location and were very attentive at the first service. The owner of Victory Autos lives here so would expect this dealer to be one if not the best. She actually came by in her hummer (she also has a WRX) when I took delivery of it.

I counted 12 XVs there, all waiting to be delivered. Subaru Thailand has sold 3 times the projected amount since its introduction.

Possibly the best car for Thailand.

Compared to a 3 litre turbo diesel yes. Compared to a 1.6 litre Fiesta no. It's the most fuel efficient AWD in its class. Considering it is a 2 litre it has plenty of go and the CVT does a great job of getting the most out of the engine.

One thing I didn't realise was the accelerator has a lot more travel than my Hilux so when test driving it I thought I was giving it a decent bootfull In fact there was a long way to go. I wasn't about to cane it with a salesman sitting next to me. Once I asked for a longer , open road test and I opened it up a bit it is pretty good.

You have to get used to the fact petrol engines make their power further up the rev range than diesels

It's up to people to judge it's performance, I feel it is good for a 2 litre and am happy with its balance of economy/performance. I've driven it to Mae Hong Son and Mae Sai, both mountainous roads and was very happy with the way it handled that, I never felt it was under powered.

150 bhp isn't very impressive for a 2 litre. If they had put a decent turbo in it there's no reason why it couldn't be kicking out 200 bhp then it might have been a bit more fun. Also there would have been a queue of people lining up for them, myself included.

By Thai standards, 150hp is pretty normal for a 2.0L in this class. The benchmark CRY 2.0L is about the same but the XV is slightly smaller and lighter so performance should be comparable to the Honda.

Subaru could easily have added some power with a Turbo, direct injection or a 2.5L version but the que of buyers for a 200hp version of an XV would be shortened by the increase in price that Subaru would no doubt slap on. At least they did not dump the 1.6L 114hp version here.

One problem with the XV (for some) is the lack of dealers outside of BKK and CNX etc. Not so sure about the "best car for Thailand" but it's not a bad choice from the limited selection if you want a small wagon, do not like Honda and live near BKK or CNX!

There are some performance parts for these as it is basically an Impreza.

Supercharger for $5000, a guy is making performance headers and exhaust, drop in filter, a mob in Aussie are doing different ECU maps.

Apparently the BRZ axle back muffler nearly bolts straight on. I wouldn't mind doing that for a slightly better sound and nice dual tips but I have my bike for going fast on.

As I said, the. CVT does a good job of getting the most out of the engine by holding revs constant and not dropping off the power changing gears. It's a little weird sensation and I can imagine some people not liking it.

There are some performance parts for these as it is basically an Impreza.

Supercharger for $5000, a guy is making performance headers and exhaust, drop in filter, a mob in Aussie are doing different ECU maps.

Apparently the BRZ axle back muffler nearly bolts straight on. I wouldn't mind doing that for a slightly better sound and nice dual tips but I have my bike for going fast on.

As I said, the. CVT does a good job of getting the most out of the engine by holding revs constant and not dropping off the power changing gears. It's a little weird sensation and I can imagine some people not liking it.

After a few months in a cvt and a regular auto will seem jerky:) CVT's are very smooth but pickup is a little slower than a regular auto. CVT will also have better fuel economy than a regular auto. I don't like how the rpm shoots up on hard acceleration, so I learned to lift the revs gently to keep them in sync with foot pressure on the acceleration. It's a much more pleasant ride that way.

I've never heard of a car dealer keeping a deposit but with Subaru I had a month to make my mind up but as I took the car don't know if they would have given it back although I did ask if it was refundable and they said yes. Also you should have only needed 10000 as a deposit not 20000.

The most I've ever put down for a deposit here is 5k

Yes for common garden vehicle's yes. A Subaru XV is special order and so if ordered hard to sell if no one wan't the color ordered.

why is it a special order at a Subaru dealer...the XV is the common garden Subaru!

The most I've ever put down for a deposit here is 5k

Yes for common garden vehicle's yes. A Subaru XV is special order and so if ordered hard to sell if no one wan't the color ordered.

why is it a special order at a Subaru dealer...the XV is the common garden Subaru!

Yes could be common garden but what if you wanted in a green color and it's not in stock wouldn't that be a special order, so if that was the case why would they refund a deposit.