Apartment Investment

I am aware that farang are able to purchase an apartment. My question is does anyone have any experience in buying an apartment and then renting it out? Is it a worth while thing to do? What kind or return / per year can you expect,.. payback period?

thanks..

I stand corrected, but Rates of Return on BKK condo purchase/rent have declined over the past 5 years as purchase prices have increased and rents have remained roughly the same.

Same can be said for SE UK.

Of course there are the exceptions.

thanks for the tip..interesting.

malcom is a nice show by the way..

Agree with "malcolm".

I would guestimate that the average rental would appear to

be around 120th to 130th of the condo's cost.

i.e. for a condo costing around 2.5 million the monthly

rental would be about 20,000 depending on furnishings. :o

Naka.

Condo rental is a tricky question, i know plenty of people making a mint around Pattaya in the property side.Personnally I've only dabbled, been tempted but thats all.I do have 1 apartment which I use as a rental one.I managed to pick it up cheap and it was a perfect location.The seller needed the money more than I needed his condo.The condo is on a long rental at 30,000 per month so a good return

:o EPG

Condo rental is a tricky question, i know plenty of people making a mint around Pattaya in the property side.Personnally I've only dabbled, been tempted but thats all.I do have 1 apartment which I use as a rental one.I managed to pick it up cheap and it was a perfect location.The seller needed the money more than I needed his condo.The condo is on a long rental at 30,000 per month so a good return

:o EPG

location, location, location. congrats. :D

LOL I could rent a mansion with 3 full time staff for that in Udon Thani.

:D EPG

location, location, location. congrats. :D

LOL I could rent a mansion with 3 full time staff for that in Udon Thani.

This looks like the making of a new friendship.Glad we agree, you see....when it comes to money I really do now my stuff :o:D

:D EPG

Gaz, Some people have a real 'talent' with regards to making money. You certainly sound like one. :D

When I lived in Las Vegas I managed 52 apartments (6 I owned) and 1 house in addition to holding down a 40 hr job. Needless to say I made a few coins but burned out after a few years so I stopped managing property I didn't own. I was involved in the rental business for over 15 years.

I guess I still am; my house in Las Vegas is rented. A good friend handles it for me.

I'm a fair hand myself at making a few bucks. But I've lost my 'desire' to really chase down more dollars. When I first came to Thailand I thought a person would be nuts to try a business here. After spending some time here however I am convinced if I wanted to I could make a go of something (I have a few ideas). I can't see getting into anything however because I have enough to live comfortably and if I still wanted to work I would have stayed in Vegas! It's the simple life for me now....perhaps in a few years I'll get the 'bug' again to start something.

LOL.....I've turned into Green Acres! :o:D:D

Good luck EPG. :D

LDB , your back ground is not to different from mine, except age probably.Iam involved in property but in my country of origin ( more money to be made), I work in yet another country, and live in Thailand, where my playing with property is only for fun.Unlike yourself Iam still chasing $$$, infact iam doing it like a headless chiken and to be honest is coming in quicker than I ever imagined.This is the last year for me though and Christmas will see me call it a day and relax, property in my country of origin can look after itself, I just recieve the rent.I wont go upcountry as its not my thing.Beach & golf courses for me.

:o EPG.

Well I grew up 1 block from the beach. They're okay I guess but nothing special to me. I do like golf though (didn't bring my clubs; how stupid). I've got to get them shipped soon as I want to get back into playing. Haven't played for about a year now. I was a 10 hcp. LOL probably can't break 100 now :o

I understand Udon has 4 9-hole courses but I haven't checked them out. I did drive up to Nong Khai to check out 'Victory Park'. 18 hole championship course, bermuda grass. Had drinks and just poked around. The course was in good condition considering no rain for a loooooooong time.

I'm guessing you live in the Pattaya area? I've only been as far South as Hua Hin. I've been to BKK, Phitsanulok, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, and now the Issan area (Udon Thani). I want to travel Thailand some more before deciding on an area as a permanent home.

Wish there were more golf courses here. :D

Glad to see you're doing well on the financial end; I've never been more at peace than now since I 'slowed down'.

To keep this somewhat on topic to the OP: I'm not familiar with all of Thailand but here in Udon I am really confident I could (1)purchase a row of shophouses around ring road (2) convert to awesome apartments (3) rent to ex-pats on long-term basis and have a going business. But I have a background in rentals. Shop houses are cheap, secure, and have a TON of square footage.