Ed Visa - Changing To A New Language School?

Hi everyone,

I am currently on an ED visa in Phuket, which I got in April 2011. It went really well until the school told me this is the last extension and after that I will have to change to another language (like French or Russian) and for this I will have to go back to India and get another ED visa issued to me.

This seemed like a big hassle because tickets to India are more than 30,000 baht, not to mention, it's not an easy trip to make and I worry that I may not get the visa re-issued because the Thai Embassy might reject my application since I've been here on an Ed visa for so long already.

I have an Indian passport and am unable to go to Malaysia or other nearby countries because as an Indian passport holder, I'll need a visa for those countries too.

So I investigated with another school in Phuket and they told me that I can register with them, resign from the old school and I will not need to leave the country to get another year's ED visa with them because it will simply be an extension. What on earth is going on? Is my current school just playing around? Is there anything I can say to them that may help them understand my predicament? After a bit of talking, she told me to come back in one month (December 28th) and she will be able to tell me if she can get an extension for me here itself without leaving Thailand (Can someone explain why on earth can't she tell me now?). This is also ridiculous because my last extension on the ED visa will expire on Jan 21st, so I will not have enough time to go to another school and get the documents etc.

The new school also told me I'll have to go through an interview with the ministry of education to get clearance and extension each year that I stay. I did not have to do this for my current school. I'm pretty much thoroughly confused. Any light shed on the matter will be highly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

If you decide to switch schools you just need to do your next extension with documentation from new school and a letter from present school stating that you are no longer studying their.

You should need to go out an get another visa.

The schools are issued iicenses from the MOE to teach the courses. The length of the course that they are licensed to teach vary from school to school. Some have licenses where they can only teach you Thai Language for 2 years, some have licenses for up to 5 years. I suspect that the reson that they want you to change languages is that they only have the short license.

The schools are issued iicenses from the MOE to teach the courses. The length of the course that they are licensed to teach vary from school to school. Some have licenses where they can only teach you Thai Language for 2 years, some have licenses for up to 5 years. I suspect that the reson that they want you to change languages is that they only have the short license.

Ah thanks, that makes sense. When I need to switch courses to another language though, is there a need to go out of the country and get another ED visa? My current school says yes, new school says no.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

If you decide to switch schools you just need to do your next extension with documentation from new school and a letter from present school stating that you are no longer studying their.

So I will have to go back to india and get another ED visa? I can't do this in Phuket immigration with all the documents? The school that I checked with says I won't need to go out and get another visa...

Edited by Neha

So I will have to go back to india and get another ED visa? I can't do this in Phuket immigration with all the documents? The school that I checked with says I won't need to go out and get another visa...

Sorry I left out a not. It should read: You should not need to go out and get another visa.

But you must get every thing arranged at your new school before getting the letter from your old school and it would be best that your last day of study is the same as the date you apply for the extension.