Need To Find A Gym (Not Boxing) In Old City Area

wellred

So I'm arriving soon and will be in town for a few weeks. I'd like to get some exercise in on a daily basis so need to find a gym I can use. I know there one out by the airport plaza (name of the mall escapes me) but that's a bit far from loi kroh so don't really fancy a taxi there and back every day.

Are there any that anyone know off in the old city or close to loi kroh? Nt after anything fancy but maybe some cardio machines and a few free weights.

Thanks

So far I found Hillside Fitness part of the hotel. It's on Huay Keao road so not far from the old city. Anyone know if this is open to the general public?

Open to other suggestions.

yes its open to the general public. think you can pay to play which includes the gym, sauna and swimming pool or pay on a monthly basis for circa 800bt for as often as you like,

my mate goes there a few times a week, and says its excellent and has a couple of pro trainers if you need them.

fitness thailand, if i am not mistaken is a bit nearer to Loy kroh at the back/side of computer city, and allegedly "full of posers" though thats hearsay.

I must go when the old farts like me go :) yes there is a couple of posers in the day time that is when i go around lunch time but when I have been there have been farang of differing ages and I just say to the songthaew or tuk tuk take me to Icon or Computer plaza and Fitness Thailand is at the back of Computer Plaza and is on the 7th floor

So far I found Hillside Fitness part of the hotel. It's on Huay Keao road so not far from the old city. Anyone know if this is open to the general public?

Open to other suggestions.

If you mean the Hillside 4 gym, I stopped going five years ago because of the very old equipment that was never maintained, not even simple things like adjusting belts on treadmills. That's not a problem if you're only interested in free weights, but if you want properly functioning machines I'd check and make sure they finally did the badly needed maintenance and/or upgrades.

I go to Fitness Thailand, it has cardio and free weights, nothing real fancy but i enjoy going

http://www.fitnessthailand.co.th/

FITNESS (THAILAND)

29 Parking Building (Behind Computer Plaza Bldg.)

Hasadisewee Rd.,T.Sripoom, Muang, Chiang Mai 50200 Thailand

Tel: 0 5322 4260-2 Fax: 0 5322 4262

Do they keep the equipment in good condition?

I used to go to the Doungtawan and it was hit and miss on the physio equipment. Haven't gone for several years but every once and a while I consider it.

The yearly price looks good especially for an old codger like me.

That would be behind the computer mall by the North west corner of the old city on the outside of it?

edit

Is the staff helpful in setting up programs on the equipment?

Edited by hellodolly

I go to Fitness Thailand, it has cardio and free weights, nothing real fancy but i enjoy going

http://www.fitnessthailand.co.th/

FITNESS (THAILAND)

29 Parking Building (Behind Computer Plaza Bldg.)

Hasadisewee Rd.,T.Sripoom, Muang, Chiang Mai 50200 Thailand

Tel: 0 5322 4260-2 Fax: 0 5322 4262

Do they keep the equipment in good condition?

It's not as good as it should be, but there is enough equipment so you can usually get in the workout you planned. It can get pretty busy between 5 and 9 p.m.

I have tired to ask for a program but got a mai kao jai response the first time but will ask again when I go back, some of the equipment is not in good order but there is enough to go round so you can find something to use, the free weights are not put back and sometimes it is a search mission to find what you are after, a bloke and I were talking about it the other day about the laziness of some people in the gym, there is some class rooms for yoga and one upstairs for cycling, the change rooms are not what you would call first class but for me the Fitness Thailand does serve the purpose and can cope with some of the negatives

Thanks for all the replies. My hotel is a 1 min walk away from Centara Duangtawan so that one suits me best. Do you know if it's open to the general public?

It's open if you have the approx 1000 baht/mo or the daily rate. I think you'll like it. Most equip is maintained, lots of free weights, machines, sauna, pool, steam room etc.

Bring your own lock for the lockers. And don't flirt with the girls at check in - they're mine. Or maybe will be some day. Maybe.

Edited by amexpat

Thanks for all the replies. My hotel is a 1 min walk away from Centara Duangtawan so that one suits me best. Do you know if it's open to the general public?

It's open if you have the approx 1000 baht/mo or the daily rate. I think you'll like it. Most equip is maintained, lots of free weights, machines, sauna, pool, steam room etc.

Bring your own lock for the lockers. And don't flirt with the girls at check in - they're mine. Or maybe will be some day. Maybe.

Thanks! I'm only there for a few weeks so will just pay a daily rate.