Seatbelt For Car Seat

Thaiboxer

Hi Folks,

Could anyone recommend a good shop in eastern BKK that would install seatbelts in the back seats of an old, Toyota Corona liftback? Our baby son is almost big enough to fit in a car seat so we will be buying one soon. Our car never had belts in the back. I think a regular lap belt should do the trick...the shoulder part may not be necessary. Here is a pic of the back seat:post-4258-1139880571_thumb.jpg

Hi Folks,

Could anyone recommend a good shop in eastern BKK that would install seatbelts in the back seats of an old, Toyota Corona liftback? Our baby son is almost big enough to fit in a car seat so we will be buying one soon. Our car never had belts in the back. I think a regular lap belt should do the trick...the shoulder part may not be necessary. Here is a pic of the back seat:post-4258-1139880571_thumb.jpg

If your childseat has its own 3 point harness ie 2 shoulder and 1 between the leg straps the lap belt is fine . I searched to have one fitted to my NV rear seat some years back .

First find the supply I was unlucky and tried about 20 shops before I found some they were about 800 each and I fitted them my self normal thickness metal walls are fine with a good sized washer I used square plates about one and a half inches square .

The cheaper belts can work a bit loose gradually so kneel on the seat and push hard to compress the foam in the seat then tighten the belt as much as you dare .

Ps the best selection of seats for kids I have found is at Central Dept stores .. link this with a search on seat reports from your home country ..and it is possible to make an informed descision .

The sales assistants have no conseptual or practical knowledge of the seats or their value ... The safe Thai system is baby on lap in the front and hold tight . Our son is very strong willed and the car is the only place I have excellent control of him ...when ever he takes the belts off or tries to get out of the seat I simply pull over and stop almost no matter where , I say nothing now apart from one sharp word Belts .. He hates to stop and immediately gets back in to his belt /seat . there is no exception to this rule ..we even have a spare seat for relatives cars ... plus do not forget to move the catch on the rear door to childproof ... I have yet to find a local who even knew they existed .

Don't most cars come with seat belt mounting points already in place?

No that is why I had to modify my NV. Most modern saloons in USA / Europe ... yes The older cars do not always have mounting points in the rear and the older Pick ups do not have rear mounting points . . By mounting points I mean fixed locations often with a threaded or captive nut for the fixing bolt . and certainly the central rear seat point ( the normal lap strap position is often missed .

Modern vehicles not only have the fixing point designated but the points are modified with specific tear out weaknesses ie the belt mountings will give way under a specific force just like opening a sardine can .

If you don't have reinforced mounting points that are already accessible from the inside, you'd have to make reinforcements yourself, and you can't do that by simple putting a plate beneath the floorpan. I did that in my Austin-Healey, and they tore out really fast.

The floorpan is probably too thin to take a reinforcement.