Large Download Lost

bdenner

For various reasons I have just rebuilt my old Sony NoteBook with a dodgy copy of XP SP2 rather than the ‘Recovery CDs’ that came with the machine. All was well so I decided to keep going and installed Firefox as my browser then selected 37MB of security updates from Windiz Update (www.windowsupdate.62nd.com).

About 20MB into the download my GPRS connection dropped out so I redialled and kept going. At 33MB it dropped out again but this time I was unable to continue the download and the operation ceased. At this stage I was not using a Download Manager and wasn’t surprised that the operation wanted to start afresh on my next attempt.

My first thought was that all is not lost. The 26 or so files that I managed to get will be in a cache somewhere, somewhat the same as MS appears to dump theirs into ……\Windows\$hf_mig$.

Question:- does anyone know where it is? I’ve searched high and low and can’t find them.

Don't know about windoze files, they have a life of their own.

But FF usually puts normal D\Ls into the default download directory first either as a complete or semi complete file? You can usually see them coming down into the directory if you open explorer during a D\L. S'pose you have already looked in there?

Tools\options\downloads. and see what it says against the browse tab. No?

My experience though is that you can not usually pick it up again as the link will have been lost.

When it comes to downloads FF sucks which is a shame because everthing else about it is so good.

If you do find a good free D/L Manager to go with FF love to hear about it.