Drivers License Renewal

pomchop

Last year I got my first Thai Car driver's license which was good for one year. Now it is time to renew it and I understand it will be good for the next five years.

My question is does anyone know exactly what I need to take for the renewal? I have heard you need some kind of medical certificate etc? What else? Where to get medical certificate if required.

Thanks for information. I want to make sure I take everything they need so I don't have to make extra trips.

You can get the medical certificate at every privat clinic/doctor-think it is around 50 THB.

Take a couple of photo whit you-the old licence,medical certificate-if they ask for it-not sure,I had it whit me but diddent need it.Maby proof of recidence, passport and your visa.

Then you schould be fine.

Make it right after the old one ran out-or else they can ask you to go through all tests again.

Good luck and take care out there on the roads.

For sure you will need proof of residence. That can be a Work Permit, Yellow Tabian Baan, or a letter from Immigration or your Embassy. Original passport and copies of the relevant pages. Medical Certificate ?? not so sure you need that, but I might be wrong. Best get one for the small cost involved. You should not need any photos as they now take your photo and imprint on the DL (least that's how it is done in other places in Thailand - can't speak first hand about CR).

For sure you will need proof of residence. That can be a Work Permit, Yellow Tabian Baan, or a letter from Immigration or your Embassy. Original passport and copies of the relevant pages. Medical Certificate ?? not so sure you need that, but I might be wrong. Best get one for the small cost involved. You should not need any photos as they now take your photo and imprint on the DL (least that's how it is done in other places in Thailand - can't speak first hand about CR).

No photos needed for CR all done digitally

You will only get a 5 year licence if you are not on a tourist visa. If you have a tourist visa they will only give 1 year.

visa no problem...so seems i need to take medical certificate passport old license and proof of residence, no pics as done digitally.

thanks all.

You will only get a 5 year licence if you are not on a tourist visa. If you have a tourist visa they will only give 1 year.

Not true. At least not everywhere, as I renewed both mine (car and m'bike),for 5 year ones on a Tourist Visa last month. Although mine was done in Samui.

To be safe, I took: Proof of residence from immigration, letter from doctor, photocopies of passport, of visa page, and landing card (all signed), my old licences, and photocopies of my UK licence.

Had to retake the tests, eye sight, colour, and depth perception.

Didn't really need UK one, or photos, as they take the pics themselves.

Edited by phetphet

Not true. At least not everywhere, as I renewed both mine (car and m'bike),for 5 year ones on a Tourist Visa last month. Although mine was done in Samui.

To be safe, I took: Proof of residence from immigration, letter from doctor, photocopies of passport, of visa page, and landing card (all signed), my old licences, and photocopies of my UK licence.

Had to retake the tests, eye sight, colour, and depth perception.

Didn't really need UK one, or photos, as they take the pics themselves.

For everyone info I went today with med certificate, old license, passport/ non immg B visa BUT even though i had a copy of my long term lease on my house as well as copies of bills to me at my house (which i foolishy thought would prove my residence) they say i MUST go to mae sai and get a "certificate of residence"....a particular form...not sure why but nothing to do but go to make a trip to mae sai to get the form that they require.....seems all governments around the world are in love with forms ....oh well.... it looks like lunch in mae sai coming up soon...

I mentioned the 'proof of residence' in post #3. You take your rental contact to Immigration and they will supply a 'certificate of residence' and usually charge 500 baht even though it is supposed to be a free service.

you will need photos with it.

I mentioned the 'proof of residence' in post #3. You take your rental contact to Immigration and they will supply a 'certificate of residence' and usually charge 500 baht even though it is supposed to be a free service.

you will need photos with it.

Thanks guys. Yep I shoulda known that proof of residency would require more than showing them my lease. Have to have the FORM filled out that shows them that i showed them my lease. Reminds me all to much of dealing with the US government. Nothing is real unless you have the right form.

Social Security in USA recently sent me a form. They wanted my mailing address in Thailand as well as my soc sec number....well uh duh they MAILED it to me in Thailand at MY ADDRESS and my soc sec number was printed on the letter......but i had to fill out the FORM and send it back to them anyway.