Just Got Picked Up For Marijuana Possession

I was picked up yesterday at a check stop on Koh Phangan for possession of 0.8g marijuana, I posted my 40k bail which I'm told I will get back after appearing in court. I have a non imagrant visa and work permit, anyone been through this and know if my work permit or visa will be revoked? any advice or recent experience would be of great help. thanks

I've been told by a guy over here who recently went through a similar experience (caught with 2g) that I'll spend that a court day locked up and at the end pay a fine of around 2500thb and then be released. he is still over here working etc but does not have a work permit

Step 1, buy ticket to other country.

Seriously this can change into a nightmare.

I would assume that as the OP has posted bail his passport will be at the local police station.

What would you suggest he does with a ticket to another country in this case smile.png

Was it a condition for bail that RTP have notified Immigration? If this is the case Immigration will in turn notify the UK Embassy.

I would assume that as the OP has posted bail his passport will be at the local police station.

What would you suggest he does with a ticket to another country in this case smile.png

:) Yeah you are right. Not really well informed about that fortunately.

I have seen a few tourists land in jail and be deported though while my stay in Samui.

The problem is that it can go in any direction. Probably the best suggestion is to stay polite and confess and promise to never do again with a sincere face and hope for the best.

I noticed the big sign when entering Thailand, i thought that would be a big enough deterrent but it probably only registers when it is to late.

avid diver but I work in hotels, tried to sort out on the spot but was unable, other people had been picked up and were present, one of the officers I spoke with after said if other people had not been present we could have taken care of that matter quietly but no such luck in this case, he seemed certain I wouldn't have any troubles and was very polite with me, also stated that it looked good on me not being under the influence at the time of arrest, my biggest concern is with the work permit and visa, I have no plans to leave the country at any time in the near future

avid diver but I work in hotels, tried to sort out on the spot but was unable, other people had been picked up and were present, one of the officers I spoke with after said if other people had not been present we could have taken care of that matter quietly but no such luck in this case, he seemed certain I wouldn't have any troubles and was very polite with me, also stated that it looked good on me not being under the influence at the time of arrest, my biggest concern is with the work permit and visa, I have no plans to leave the country at any time in the near future

You may not need to, they may take care of it for you.

0.8 g is less than a crumb. How on earth did they find it?

You will get a lot better information on Koh Phangan than on Thai Visa because:-

1) Koh Phangan is well known for arresting foreigners for drug possession. You have more chance of meeting or talking to somebody who has gone through the process than on Thaivisa.

2) Law enforcement, including any link between criminal charges and immigration status, is not consistent throughout the kingdom so what happens at Chana Songkhram police station (Khao San Road) will probably be totally unrelated to what happens at Koh Phangan.

3) Get a Koh Phangan native to negotiate a price with the District Prosecutor // Thai script removed // so the charges can be dropped. No conviction = far less hassle affecting your immigration status.

Edited by metisdead

again thanks everyone for all the information, I have a local thai friend who is in high standing within the community, he is coming with me to court and is one of the people telling me there should be no trouble, I have heard from a few people over here who have gone through this process for amounts larger than mine and everyone says no problems but I have yet to speak with anyone with a work permit who has gone through this process, again thank you everyone for your input = )

These happened to one of my friend:

First, you say goodbye to your 40 k. You will never see it again.

Second you will wait for the court in koh samui sometime 2-3 weeks.

Third, you will spend entire day in koh samui prison.

Fourth, the judge will fine you around 3000 thb something.

Fifth, you will lose your work permit and they will stamp ' cannot enter thailand for one year' statement in to your passport.

Sixth, you are free to stay in Thailand until the end of your visa but if they cancel your permit means within a week you need to leave.

Sorry man. Try to find a good lawyer as they can let your work permit survive but you need to pay handsomely.

And no worries, you will not get a jail sentence still be nice in court and to policemen.

Good luck man.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Edited by loserlazer

yea the one guy on the island here that I spoke with was picked up in July and is still here working without issue, spent his court day in lock up and released around 4pm, he got his 40k back and only spent 2500thb in fines, hoping someone with a recent experience and work permit can advise.