Baby Friendly Airlines

Gulliver_in_LOS

For the first time my wife and I will traveling with our eight months old baby from Thailand to East Coast USA, and was wondering if anybody can recommend or had good experience with a particular airline(s) regarding baby friendliness.

Any feedback is welcome. :o

Cheers,

G

I have found Gulf to be fantastic, BA ok, Quantas Ok, Thai - absolutely awful.

Of course me being flight crew with Qantas I'm biased...but that said we are very well trained and friendly towards babys on board the aircraft.

But I also have to say that Singapore Airlines is excellent! I would pick them as my first choice. You really can't go wrong with the Asian airlines as they also friendly in general towards children. Was surprised at the other comment about Thai...but then again their flight atttendants are so called "hi-so", who look at the job differently than the rest of us.

It was once suggested that people travelling with babies/kids should be confined to separate sound proofed cabins at the rear end of the plane well away from normal people.....dont know what ever happened to the idea.... :D

O to the joys of a smelly nappy while lunch is being served up..... :o

Of course me being flight crew with Qantas I'm biased...but that said we are very well trained and friendly towards babys on board the aircraft.

But I also have to say that Singapore Airlines is excellent! I would pick them as my first choice. You really can't go wrong with the Asian airlines as they also friendly in general towards children. Was surprised at the other comment about Thai...but then again their flight atttendants are so called "hi-so", who look at the job differently than the rest of us.

Thanks for the reply. I see that the Asian airlines are the best in general. Considering myself very lucky to have a real flight crew (stewardess?) in this forum, I appreciate it if you could give us some of the most basic tips concerning flying with a baby. :o

(Rinrada, I used to think the same as you several months ago :D :D)

I have flown with Qantas and BA with baby, both were good. But it was also in Business class and at night time. The passengers got off the plane and saw a baby and said oh my god, we did not even know there was one on board.

Rather than the staff to worry about, you should ask about the passengers.

But I can understand that pasengers do not want a screaming kid on a long flight. I would not either, unless it was mine, then you can all get......woken up.

Oh and dependant on your childs natural sleep times and your flights, try to not let the baby sleep before the flight to much. This way she may be tired and sleep well. We found it really good to get them to sleep during takeoff and landing. this reduces the effect of pressure changes on their little ears and if they are asleep, no problem. If awake, it can hurt them or at least be uncomfortable and make for a crying attack. If they are awake during takeoff and landing, try to make them suck on a bottle during it until it levels or lands. If they have the slightest cold before the flight....good luck.

Edited by N&M

I have flown with Qantas and BA with baby, both were good. But it was also in Business class and at night time. The passengers got off the plane and saw a baby and said oh my god, we did not even know there was one on board.

Rather than the staff to worry about, you should ask about the passengers.

But I can understand that pasengers do not want a screaming kid on a long flight. I would not either, unless it was mine, then you can all get......woken up.

Oh and dependant on your childs natural sleep times and your flights, try to not let the baby sleep before the flight to much. This way she may be tired and sleep well. We found it really good to get them to sleep during takeoff and landing. this reduces the effect of pressure changes on their little ears and if they are asleep, no problem. If awake, it can hurt them or at least be uncomfortable and make for a crying attack. If they are awake during takeoff and landing, try to make them suck on a bottle during it until it levels or lands. If they have the slightest cold before the flight....good luck.

Very good advice! I see that it's probably better to travel at night time. Thanks.

I have found Gulf to be fantastic, BA ok, Quantas Ok, Thai - absolutely awful.

Actually we are more inclined in using Thai Airways because of better communication issues (my wife is Thai). Did you have any particular problem with them? Thanks.

Problems with Thai - where do i start - no belt for child, no basinet, no food, a complete lack of understanding the needs of a parent / child. On every other airline we also choose a window seat - helps with feeding (breast) but with Thai you must have an isle seat for some reason - so the child is constantly reaching out to grab anything that passes by - could not get a clear answer from them why we have to have an ailse seat except "its our rules"

Will not fly Thai again, would rather choose another airline. Same thing with Qatar years ago, they only need to get it wrong once and i will not use them again.