Do You Love Thailand?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a wonderful and exhaustive list of reasons you give, OP. I am surprised that you did not add Chang to your list. Don't you think that this topic has been done to death in many ways in the past? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Cheap? Its far from cheap if you like the nice things in life. If you are an old farang who is happy to eat street food, drink local beer and adapt to thai life then yeah its cheap but if you enjoy things like nice beef, lamb, wines, clothes and other things that usually need to be imported than its a very expensive place to live.

Well some people are prepared to make significant sacrifices to their life styles to get a regular leg over...whistling.gif

What heppens if they don't have legs?

Cheap? Its far from cheap if you like the nice things in life. If you are an old farang who is happy to eat street food, drink local beer and adapt to thai life then yeah its cheap but if you enjoy things like nice beef, lamb, wines, clothes and other things that usually need to be imported than its a very expensive place to live.

Well some people are prepared to make significant sacrifices to their life styles to get a regular leg over...whistling.gif

What heppens if they don't have legs?

Who ? the giver or the receiver ...this is a very important technical question

As VillageFarrang has also said. I enjoy life in this country but loving the country is difficult.

The majority of Thai folk I meet are nice and I couldn't want for anything more, but working for Thai- Chinese has opened my eyes to how offensive and self centered that part of Thailand and Thai life can be. Dog eat dog doesn't even cut it with some of these clowns but I'm sure this is for another topic.

Beaches

Scenery

Girls

Beer

In no particular order are a good reason to like / love it here.

Or if the wife ever found thaivisa and wound up reading this then she is all the reason I need to be here. sick.gif

I would phrase things differently. I love my life in Thailand. It has changed a lot over the last 35 years or so but I love my life, which happens to be in Thailand. Loving a country seems like a strange concept to me.

That is well phrased. At this point in my life I am enjoying Thailand thoroughly. How I wil or would feel in 25 years might be a different story entirely. Right now I am enjoying the freedom to do pretty much whatever I want within reason. Canada is too much of a controlling nanny state and the current government policies frustrate me. But, I am in the fortunate position that I can go back and forth pretty much as I like and get the best of both worlds. So, I an not really the right person to ask. I'm just adding my 3 cents worth. Or, should I say, one bath worh.

• Like 2

Not that much really but I would imagine a couple of the main reasons that people do love it here, would be the prices and the climate.

Watch this, dude.

Thanks for that, BAI, It was well done and I enjoyed it. They just didn't portray the grid-lock traffic that is so typical of the city.

I enjoy it,but to long here,especially where I am based becomes very frustrating and at times simply annoying,while I enjoy the freedom aspect of things,after so long the complete stupidity on the roads,rudeness in shops and general uneducated behaviour that comes with living in more rural and less populated areas becomes slightly monotonous.

I would phrase things differently. I love my life in Thailand. It has changed a lot over the last 35 years or so but I love my life, which happens to be in Thailand. Loving a country seems like a strange concept to me.

Have to agree with that.

My quality of life has shifted up a couple of gears since moving here and apart from having to occasionally come into contact with some of the lowest peasant scum that the West has to offer, I can say I love it here.

• Like 1

Have to agree with that.

My quality of life has shifted up a couple of gears since moving here and apart from having to occasionally come into contact with some of the lowest peasant scum that the West has to offer, I can say I love it here.

Peasant scum ? My LORD ?

Have to agree with that.

Peasant scum ? My LORD ?

I think anyone who's lived here for a while will have occasionally come across the type of foreigner that simply makes them cringe with embarassment by virtue of their words, actions, lack of respect or general demeanour.

• Like 1

I think anyone who's lived here for a while will have occasionally come across the type of foreigner that simply makes them cringe with embarassment by virtue of their words, actions, lack of respect or general demeanour.

Agree wholeheartedly.

That is well phrased. At this point in my life I am enjoying Thailand thoroughly. How I wil or would feel in 25 years might be a different story entirely. Right now I am enjoying the freedom to do pretty much whatever I want within reason. Canada is too much of a controlling nanny state and the current government policies frustrate me. But, I am in the fortunate position that I can go back and forth pretty much as I like and get the best of both worlds. So, I an not really the right person to ask. I'm just adding my 3 cents worth. Or, should I say, one bath worh.

Similar to rene123, oz is the biggest nanny state of all and hugely controlling. The government has just enforced all cigarette packets to be sold only with olive green packets- to take away branding. Oz is one of the most expensive countries in the world. Thailand is a 1/3 of the price with better people. I love the thai mentality here and everything else.

Have to agree with that.

Peasant scum ? My LORD ?

I concur. When referring to the unwashed masses, it may be more appropriate to term them differently. A chap at the "club" Cecil Fitzmoron- Hogmorton IV calls them the peons, while another Heinrich Prinz Dieter von Ahole terms the untermensch. I just call them the staff. For example, the lady that cleans the apartment is the cleaning lady, and the guy who changed the lightbulb on the balcony for me because I was afraid of falling off when I climbed the ladder is the lightbulb guy. I noiced that he had clean toenails though. Thais that wear flip flops seem to do a better job of it than farangs. Oh my, maybe I like Thailand because Thais keep their toenails clean?

land of smiles, smiles captured me at first but now im used to them. i do not love thailand more than say bali or cambodia. i only love getting away from the uk but that doesnt particularly mean i love thailand. i definately do not love the thai people, like generally yes but love ? i love my wife and kid but ive met some nasty mutha,s in thailand , more so than in uk !!! fact

• Like 1