Poipet

On a recent 90 day run to Poipet I parked on the right hand side of the road, about 200 metres short of the Thai Imm' office. In the car park area there is an office offering Cambodia visa service. I didn't use it as I always just do the walk through myself and never accept help from anyone in the area. Never had a problem, except for the sometimes long wait getting back into Thailand.

Does anyone know if this office is 'the real deal' or not, appeared to be guys inside in uniform dealing with a few people when I saw it, the office that is.

Anyone ever used it ?

Used an E visa a few times:

Just go to the booth for arrivals they will take your E visa and give you an entry and exit stamp (if it is just a visa run IE: just a quick turn around), turn around and come back to Thailand.

E visas save you a page in your passport.

Or you can if you want to pay about 200 Baht at poipet and get one of the touts to do it all for you.

I recall a similar "consulate" (glorified restaurant actually) on a recent visa run at Aranyapratet/Poipet. However it was by the roadside not in a car park though so may not be the same one. Anyway they charged about THB500 more than if I queued up at the border check point (even though I still had to queue up to show the visa!). I argued a bit with them but I was in a van with a number of other people going to Siem Reap and I was worried I would be left behind if I didnt get the visa from the "consulate". None of my fellow passengers seemed to know the cost of a visa. In the end I paid the extra. I think they are just making money so people should avoid them if possible.

Btw, a friend of mine was on a visa run to the Poipet border and got stamped in and out of Cambodia without actually going in to Cambodia!

Frankly I think that these visas and fees are a joke and just to make money out of people going to spend money in their countries. If I can go visa free to Japan and many other "First World" countries why should I pay to go to a "Third World" country. For my next visa run I was thinking of going to Burma (oh sorry it's Myanmar isn't it) but the US$40 visa fee (albeit on arrival) and the fact that I had to stay in a Govt approved hotel + show 300 US Dollars on arrival put me off - funny that they hate the US but love the greenback. I'm going on the train to malaysia instead!

I recall a similar "consulate" (glorified restaurant actually) on a recent visa run at Aranyapratet/Poipet. However it was by the roadside not in a car park though so may not be the same one. Anyway they charged about THB500 more than if I queued up at the border check point (even though I still had to queue up to show the visa!). I argued a bit with them but I was in a van with a number of other people going to Siem Reap and I was worried I would be left behind if I didnt get the visa from the "consulate". None of my fellow passengers seemed to know the cost of a visa. In the end I paid the extra. I think they are just making money so people should avoid them if possible.

Btw, a friend of mine was on a visa run to the Poipet border and got stamped in and out of Cambodia without actually going in to Cambodia!

Frankly I think that these visas and fees are a joke and just to make money out of people going to spend money in their countries. If I can go visa free to Japan and many other "First World" countries why should I pay to go to a "Third World" country. For my next visa run I was thinking of going to Burma (oh sorry it's Myanmar isn't it) but the US$40 visa fee (albeit on arrival) and the fact that I had to stay in a Govt approved hotel + show 300 US Dollars on arrival put me off - funny that they hate the US but love the greenback. I'm going on the train to malaysia instead!

As Malaysia is a developing country why would you want to go there? Also you really should look up where the term THIRD WORLD COUNTRY came from and what it really does mean.

As Malaysia is a developing country why would you want to go there? Also you really should look up where the term THIRD WORLD COUNTRY came from and what it really does mean.

Why shouldnt I want to go to Malaysia? Also do you have a problem with my categorising countries as FIRST and THIRD WORLD or would you prefer to use other terms such as tinpot and banana republic? Really cant understand why you want to post such nonsense.

The official place to get the Cam visa is after you exit Thailand, walk across the bridge, stop. Now look to the left under the arch, you will see a newish non descript building. That is it.

There is a "consulate" in Aran but it will be a hassle for you to find and they might even charge you more than the us20 as well. A real one exists, not a restaurant.

Malaysia is great! Id spend s lot more time there but Im married and stuck here. Good food, easy language, friendly-educated people, take care of their nature, loads of beaches, pretty Chinese women and three month stamps free.

Edited by bangkokburning