Quick Visa Question

stevehaigh

i have to go pick up my 1 year visa extension on the 9th but that is a sunday. and i think monday is a holiday. does anyone know, will immigration let me go in on when the office reopens even through its a couple of days late or should i go in today?

thx

Yes, I would for sure go early and never ever late. For never know how an officer will react.

Although when you say 'pick up' does that mean you have already applied and just waiting the Bangkok approval ?

yes. i did just go and as expected it was chaos. anyhow, i talked to the officer that took the application and he said come back next week when not so busy

I just learned to apply early on this year. Actually doing it next week.

This is the time of the year I always want to escape Thailand. Move to Burma, Laos, Malaysia Australia or even to Spain. I have seen similar behavior with some of my friends. Stressful time.

How is it with you others? Do you get agitated while you are applying for the visa extension? Feeling why the heck I need go through this annoyance every year?

How is it with you others? Do you get agitated while you are applying for the visa extension? Feeling why the heck I need go through this annoyance every year?

I well know that feeling. Applied for the marriage extension these past 12 years. Every year I wonder what new obstacles the authorities will place in a the way. And every couple of years they find creative ways to make it more challenging. I get the feeling that they don't want us long stay married men here. Oh well - just makes it a challenge to beat the system wink.png

I well know that feeling. Applied for the marriage extension these past 12 years. Every year I wonder what new obstacles the authorities will place in a the way. And every couple of years they find creative ways to make it more challenging. I get the feeling that they don't want us long stay married men here. Oh well - just makes it a challenge to beat the system wink.png

Good to hear that other share the same feeling. But at the same time, when you have the same feeling after 12 years, it indicates that things will not get easier after years.

Sometimes I used with the bureaucratic officers (in other countries naturally) the "I'll let you to feel important" -tactics by making an small, but essential mistake on the papers or photos. This is to let the officer to find the error, demand for correction.. and when the fix is done, other things goes smoothly.

I just hate to be treated as an person to be barely tolerated while trying to make this country to be my Home. I suppose it never can really be it. Just an place to visit for an while. The problem with this is that it prevents stronger ties to the country and therefore heavier contribution to it as well.

Good to hear that other share the same feeling. But at the same time, when you have the same feeling after 12 years, it indicates that things will not get easier after years.

Sometimes I used with the bureaucratic officers (in other countries naturally) the "I'll let you to feel important" -tactics by making an small, but essential mistake on the papers or photos. This is to let the officer to find the error, demand for correction.. and when the fix is done, other things goes smoothly.

I just hate to be treated as an person to be barely tolerated while trying to make this country to be my Home. I suppose it never can really be it. Just an place to visit for an while. The problem with this is that it prevents stronger ties to the country and therefore heavier contribution to it as well.

Hum. I've never had any problem getting my extensions on my O-A visa. I always submit the proper paper work. But I do maintain a home in the USA as well as in Thailand, just in case I can't stand it in Thailand any more! It's nice to have more than one place to call home...

Hum. I've never had any problem getting my extensions on my O-A visa. I always submit the proper paper work. But I do maintain a home in the USA as well as in Thailand, just in case I can't stand it in Thailand any more! It's nice to have more than one place to call home...

Might I ask on what criteria you are granted your annual extension ? If your apply based on retirement then I would admit that the process is quite easy given you meet the financial requirements. If you apply based on marriage or work permit then the process takes a lot more time & effort.

Might I ask on what criteria you are granted your annual extension ? If your apply based on retirement then I would admit that the process is quite easy given you meet the financial requirements. If you apply based on marriage or work permit then the process takes a lot more time & effort.

Yes. An O-A visa is a retirement visa. And yes, I meet the financial requirements.

the immigration officer, the bigger guy on the left side of the back row desk, said i should apply for retirement next year, easier than marriage and since i have money in the bank anyhow, easier all round. maybe i'll do that next time.

although as big a pain as trolling in there every year and providing a phone book full of docs is, its a lot better than visa runs and all that BS. and cheap. at least here they charge you the correct amount, 1900 baht, in samui everyone pays 5000.

not to hijack the thread but,

FOR US citizen using the notarized paper the embassy gives you showing ur income

does anyone know if they are requiring additional paperwork other than the US embassy stamp showing ur income ?

Have heard there asking for additional proof

Also is it true for showing the full 65,000 baht/month and not if ur using the half money in bank and income?

and if ur using the half method does the money need be seasoned?

Thnaks

not to hijack the thread but,

FOR US citizen using the notarized paper the embassy gives you showing ur income

does anyone know if they are requiring additional paperwork other than the US embassy stamp showing ur income ?

Have heard there asking for additional proof

Also is it true for showing the full 65,000 baht/month and not if ur using the half money in bank and income?

and if ur using the half method does the money need be seasoned?

Thnaks

I get the notarized letter from the US Consulate Outreach Program every year when they come to Phuket. I've never been asked for any sort of proof. But you do have to swear that the information is true and correct. Phuket Immigration has never asked for any other proof from me other than a copy of an ATM card to show you have access to your money. I do bring my bank book just incase they ask. I've never tried the combination bank account and earnings, just seems easiest to do the income letter.

If you are using pension/overseas income to substantiate part or all of your 65,000 per month then you will be asked for a copy of your ATM card to prove that you can extract those funds within Thailand. The generally only copy front, but if you are unhappy with this give them a card with no balance in it

Edited by terak

If you are using pension/overseas income to substantiate part or all of your 65,000 per month then you will be asked for a copy of your ATM card to prove that you can extract those funds within Thailand. The generally only copy front, but if you are unhappy with this give them a card with no balance in it

Yes, I agree. I've been giving them a copy of a Siam Commercial account's ATM card with little funds in it. They did want both sides, if I remember. I sent my wife downstairs for the copy as I was finishing the extension. I had forgotten that they had wanted that the year before as well, it's just been required by Phuket Immigration for the past couple of years. But I use Bank of America to transfer to my Bangkok Bank account here by internet. Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York. Google it and it gives you the information to set it up. Fairly low charges, high exchange rate (TT) and easy. Also having free Bangkok Bank internet banking I find is extremely useful! Just make sure you read the transfer charges for out of region. It's cheaper to transfer to a Siam Commercial account then it is to another Bangkok Bank account, by a LOT, I found out the hard way.