Any Fossil Collectors Here In Thailand

Humbugged

Not a collector but they look nice Humbugged.

Where did ya get em from? and how much?

That shell looks beautiful and is that a T rex tooth?

Got all those from Thailand...bought, not fossicking myself.

Have a guess at the prices ? Fun for all the family.

The tooth is a prehistoric shark, big sucker huh.

Dont want to sell, just got them.

But was thinking to go to HK to look at some others, not the ammolite ones as I would gather they are expensive their....but some other types I have read for sale there.

Export from here is no issue apparently as long as the first export permits were gained from the original location and it does have its registration number for export from there.

Fascinating topic. Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't think that the geology of Thailand lent itself to fossils. Ok, sure, I know of the discovery of miocene ape like fossils up in Northern Thailand, but aside from that, I am clueless, and I only found out when I was insulted by someone. I had to go and look up the reference to know what he meant.

I know that parts of Russia, China , and North America are a fossil collectors dream. Had no idea there were people with this hobby in Thailand. Where would one go to find the best fossils? Do they even have musuems that hold fossils in Thailand?

Edited by geriatrickid

That's what the old dudes do in Florida; look for shark's teeth on the beach before off to the pub with the best early bird dinner specials.

post-73727-0-57907700-1355031342_thumb.j

Fascinating topic. Forgive my ignorance, but I didn't think that the geology of Thailand lent itself to fossils. Ok, sure, I know of the discovery of miocene ape like fossils up in Northern Thailand, but aside from that, I am clueless, and I only found out when I was insulted by someone. I had to go and look up the reference to know what he meant.

I know that parts of Russia, China , and North America are a fossil collectors dream. Had no idea there were people with this hobby in Thailand. Where would one go to find the best fossils? Do they even have musuems that hold fossils in Thailand?

The ones I posted were not found in Thailand...although other fossils can be. there are a few dinosaur spots around los, near loeis I think is one, we have been to a dinosaur footprint site and a fossil dig site.

Also near Korat is a petrified wood museum and the korat area you find a lot of petrified wood apparently.

I found one log in an aquarium shop for 200b and another really nice carved piece in Burma.

• Like 2

Ok, Id guess perhaps 30k baht for the toothie and around the same for that shell. Is that shell the same pic that has the opal looking colour through it?

Ok, Id guess perhaps 30k baht for the toothie and around the same for that shell. Is that shell the same pic that has the opal looking colour through it?

Not correct on either.

The first pic is an ammonite shell in its original condition as it comes out of the ground.

The 4th and 5th pic are a similar shell, but the outer shell has been polished off revealing the opalised colours underneath. The red bands are also just a thin shell, but the give the illusion of the red penetrating right through to the middle.

The other pics with the iridescent colour is the same type of shell, but formed differently in a different unique area with conditions just right over millions of years to 'opalise' and preserve the whole shell.

So there is 3 different shells there, same type of shell, different stage and one megaladon shark tooth.

But....I'll sell you the tooth for that price if you likey ?

Edited by Humbugged

Very nice, when I was in the US I would go fossiling and get ferns and trilobites. Lots of trilobites in Pennsylvania, you could easily find 20 in an afternoon.

I have a degree in biology with a minor in geology, so this stuff is right up my alley.

No idea what the prices would be here in Thailand

http://www.lowcountr...16/Default.aspx

Prehistoric shark's teeth are very common you can collect 50 in an hour on some beaches in Florida. Maybe 1000 baht for a really big one. Sharks have 3000 teeth at one time 30,000 in a lifetime.

post-73727-0-29371400-1355042978_thumb.j

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Very nice, when I was in the US I would go fossiling and get ferns and trilobites. Lots of trilobites in Pennsylvania, you could easily find 20 in an afternoon.

I have a degree in biology with a minor in geology, so this stuff is right up my alley.

No idea what the prices would be here in Thailand

Have read about the ease of finding tuff in America and the beaches or ocean cliffs in some parts of the UK.

There is a spot in Oz I plan to take my kids for some hunting one day if we can get around to it, it is quite isolated though.

I remember finding some plants as a kid bashing rocks open on the coast back home, never kept one though.

Not correct on either.

The first pic is an ammonite shell in its original condition as it comes out of the ground.

The 4th and 5th pic are a similar shell, but the outer shell has been polished off revealing the opalised colours underneath. The red bands are also just a thin shell, but the give the illusion of the red penetrating right through to the middle.

The other pics with the iridescent colour is the same type of shell, but formed differently in a different unique area with conditions just right over millions of years to 'opalise' and preserve the whole shell.

So there is 3 different shells there, same type of shell, different stage and one megaladon shark tooth.

But....I'll sell you the tooth for that price if you likey ?

no worries just charge it to my credit card, heres the numbers

1234567890smile.png