User Profile - How To Restore It?

LongTimeLurker

Just starting up my PC this morning and an error messge comes up along the lines of "cannot load locally stored profile, it may be corrupt'

and it loads a temporary profile which has none of my desktop or layout of software etc.

The User folder is there in Documents and Settings along with all my desktop and favourites etc.

How do I fix it so that Windows will load my profile at start up again?

Using XP home edition.

Thanks

meant to reply to this the other day - sorry for the delay.

most likely this is caused by a bad spot on your hard disk, often checkdisk will solve it - right click on your C:\ drive and select properties, click tools tab and select ckeck now, click on both checkboxes and click ok - it will tell you the drive cannot be checked because it is in use, say yes to check on next startup and restart. if that doesn't do it you can create a new user and copy everything to the new profile, but my bet is this will solve your problem. chok dee!

• Like 1

Hope it wasn't your Admin account, if yes.....bah.gif

Had the same error years ago, and believe me, I tried everything to get it working again.

At least, I could login again, but there were unexpected error messages almost every day.

Did a Full Backup (Acronis), changed the harddisk, restored the backup, but had to create a new user-profile, to get rid of the error messages.