My Computer Is Sick.

TomTao

A bit over a week ago I noticed an icon disappeared from my computer screen, yesterday the computer failed to properly go to idle mode, that is instead of the screen going blank it went to the login screen, I logged on and tried to open the start menu but the start menu flashed briefly and closed immediately, eventually I had to press and hold the on/off switch to shut it down. After a few minutes I restarted the computer, first time I got black screen asking me which operating system I want to run on my computer, since I only have Windows 7 and that was the only option I pressed enter and nothing happened so I did another cold reboot, this time I got a black screen that was flashing with the normal coldboot screen, pressed the space bar and the computer went through the start up sequence but once again nothing responded so I shut down again till this evening. The same flashing screen on startup but I pressed F8 and selected startup from last known safe config, once again start menu didn't respond at first but opened after I opened 'my computer', opened 'control panel' and it was empty, closed out of there and tried the start menu again, this time it opened and control panel was restored, did a disk cleanup and currently running an anti virus scan, no threats detected yet. My computer is an Acer Aspire 5755G, i7, any advice?

Sent from my GT-I9003

I had a Lenovo Thinkpad that was acting somewhat like yours. I hope you have better luck than I had. I turned out to be the mainboard. I didn't have it repaired and bought a new Acer.

I think I'll take down the computer shop for them to take a look tomorrow, the computer seems to be working ok now, but my mouse is working much quicker than it has before.

I myself have had similar problems

Have an Emachine with Windows 7 / 2009 program

Has crashed twice in the last 3 months or so ( lucky always in thailand as i would have no hope of on the spot service in Auss )

Both occassions the Blue screen of death saying wrong shut down & after repeated start up tries it went to the black screen asking for start up mode

Have always had the IT Centre check & program computer

First occassion computer crashed & was told windows was dead

Second occassion was told Hard drive RS needs new at 2500 bt + Ext HD to store files while change

Ok for now but never know when it might crash again ( cant afford to have that happen in Auss )

So i bit the buluit & bought a new Toshiba L840D

I had a Lenovo Thinkpad that was acting somewhat like yours. I hope you have better luck than I had. I turned out to be the mainboard. I didn't have it repaired and bought a new Acer.

I think I'll take down the computer shop for them to take a look tomorrow, the computer seems to be working ok now, but my mouse is working much quicker than it has before.

I hope you know this computer shop.

The i7 might come back an i4.

Once you get it sorted get pre-emptive on such things happening again via maintenance.

i have had simular problems, I would disable all pulu-in's in your broser.

Easiest to do boot your computer in the safe mode.

With the fast pace of software updates plug-in's just aren't compatable with everything.

Takes a minute to check this.

I would also download and run spybot (not version 2) You would be supprised what gets installed on your computer you don't know aout, if it was "free" it installed some hidden stuff on your computer. SpyBot takes a long time the first time you run it, don't forget to read the "read me file" and Imunize you files .

Hi Tom,

sounds like you have a few things going on which may be easy to resolve. If a screen popped up asking to chose an O/S, but you only have win7, possibly some sort of recovery partition has come into play. I did a www. search, couldn't find anything concerning such a partition for your comp., but possibly ACER has some program installed....

Anyway, I would get into the BIOS (normally just tap F2 key straight after turning on button), scoot across to the boot page ( use right arrow key), and check what the options are there. The first option should be the serial number of your hard drive, if there is a recovery partition there will be another string of numbers/letters.

I would be VERY CAREFUL about closing down the comp by holding down the power button, all sorts of unexpected, potentially hard drive-wrecking, things can happen

And good advice from ksamuiguy above - start in safe mood, download and run spybot.

If still having problems, save all your files to an external drive, and reinstall your system... if there is no recovery parition, you will have to use the disk(s) with the windows licence key.

Good luck, sorry I can't come over and assist but have 'relocated' ~ 100km north. Cheers, AA

Thanks Aarn, I haven't used the cold reboot since the two times yesterday, I have been using conntrol+alt+del and selecting shutdown from there, computer was working fine yesterday until it went to idle mode, then the priblem returned.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Immediately back up your files. Could be signs of impending doom (for many of you who posted). If nothing else, get a free dropbox account & drop critical files into it. But space is limited in the free account; might be better to get a local storage device for backup.

Be careful with the computer shop.............had similar problems with my Dell and they fixed them alright. They wiped everything of the hard drive (I had no back up) and I lost years of work, never to be recovered!!

I took it to the shop (Advice compers) here in Chumphon where the operating system was loaded from my own disk, when the problem was described through my wife and I showed them what was happening they initially said it was a virus, got a call about an hour later saying the keyboard is broken and causing the problem, once the new keyboard arrives they will repair it, the cost will be 500 Baht. The staff member asked me which files I want to keep in the event the operating system needs to be re-installed, which may not be necessary.

Sent from my GT-I9003

Edited by TomTao

Restart in SAFE MODE by pressing F8 immediately on computer start up. Then select restart using the last configuration that worked. It should work ok.

If you are not using genuine Windows now is the time to buy a Genuine copy. Please note that these days every pirate copy of computer programs you can buy in Thailand contain many viruses and trojans.

they initially said it was a virus, got a call about an hour later saying the keyboard is broken and causing the problem, once the new keyboard arrives they will repair it, the cost will be 500 Baht. The staff member asked me which files I want to keep in the event the operating system needs to be re-installed, which may not be necessary.

So upon telling you this did they connect another keyboard via USB to show it works perfectly?

Restart in SAFE MODE by pressing F8 immediately on computer start up. Then select restart using the last configuration that worked. It should work ok.

If you are not using genuine Windows now is the time to buy a Genuine copy. Please note that these days every pirate copy of computer programs you can buy in Thailand contain many viruses and trojans.

It is a genuine copy, purchassed it myself, all seals intact and registered with Windows upon installation.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

they initially said it was a virus, got a call about an hour later saying the keyboard is broken and causing the problem, once the new keyboard arrives they will repair it, the cost will be 500 Baht. The staff member asked me which files I want to keep in the event the operating system needs to be re-installed, which may not be necessary.

So upon telling you this did they connect another keyboard via USB to show it works perfectly?

I have dealt with the shop before and I know they are trustworthy, no surprises in the bill, nothing done except that which is agreed to.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App