Can Bags Get Send Safely Using A Bus From Chiang Mai To Surat Thani?

bitterbatter

I tried to find something on this but didn't have any luck. I have heard that often bags can end up missing if you are not on the bus with them. I want to drive my car separately and meet my bags in Surat Thani. I have considered mailing them, but it is a little slow and more expensive. Possibly one bus line maybe more safe?

The real sticking point here is that most buses stop in Bangkok and the luggage would have to be switched. Same with a train which actually would require me being at the train station in Bangkok to move my bags myself..... as far as I know.

Ever heard of a bus offering insurance on the luggage? If so then this would probably be an indication to less chance of getting baggage handlers with bad intentions.

Anyone had a good experience or bad doing this?

I know about the other options such as postal service and air freight. So really don't want to know about these. I just want to know if it is possible by a bus or possibly train, without having to be at the station to oversee the luggage transfer.

Thanks

Post them to the main post office in Surat. EMS - 2 days - about 300bt (regular post 5 days - 180bt) - don't have to wrap them or anything...

Can send bags, fridges, motorcycles (about 1800bt), just about anything.

Internal post is very safe from theft in Thailand...

I sometimes post to the airport post office, and pick up my luggage when I get there (open 24hrs).

Recipe for disaster i would think thumbsup.gif

Not really.

Most bus government-regulated companies handle freight, and will handle cartons or other items for you, then you pick it up at the destination. (I wouldn't send pure gold or diamonds that way, but most other things are fine.) The problem in this case however is that it's Surat Thani, and there is no direct bus there from Chiang Mai. So with that I agree regular mail is good, but if it's a bigger load then contact a transporter like Nim See Seng.

I agree with WTK. I too, would not send gold or diamonds but everything else is O.K. We send stuff all over the country on buses often, and never had a problem. The guys who work for the bus companies don't make much money salary-wise and rely on taking care of people's stuff for extra money. We always go to Arcade, Green Bus Co., or Chang Phueak and go where the buses are, look to see which buses are going where. Then you will find a number of people handing freight to the guy in back who is in charge of packing the luggage, freight, etc. They usually ask for 150-200 Baht. The guy will take your telephone number and let you know when the goods have been delivered, will look out for whoever he is supposed to meet, etc. We have even shipped live animals to BKK a couple of times and the guy called us every few hours to let us know the animal was O.K., was just given water, etc. We always get the guy's name on his ID tag, telephone number, etc. They are out to make extra money, not steal from you.

We use the post for most items but for large boxes and stuff that needs same day/next day special handling, we always use the bus.

Oops, forgive the misspelling of send which should be sent.

I did discover that the Green Bus has VIP 24 direct to Surat daily at 4 pm

I believe that's the daily Chiang-Mai to Phuket bus ? One heck of a journey at 22 hours !

But at least the bag doesn't risk getting lost in Bangkok en-route.