Thai Police Officers, Bank Teller Accused Of Robbing Lao Nationals

webfact

Police officers, teller accused of robbing Lao

CHARNYOOT KOTTHAM

THE NATION

Nakhon Phanom

30196095-01_big.JPG

NAKHON PHANOM: -- Four police officers were dismissed yesterday after they and a bank teller were arrested for robbing three Laotian employees of Bt3.5 million as they were returning to their sawmill in Laos.

Three of the officers are from the Highway Police - Pol Snr Sgt-Major Chadawut Nonkhamwong, 39, and Pol Sgt-Majors Ekachai Singthongchai, 35, and Jumnong Raksa, 36.

The other officer, Pol Sgt-Major Narong Boonsinchai, 39, is from the Border Patrol Police. The teller was identified as Phuwit Martlublao, 41.

Pol Maj-General Churat Parn-ngao, commander of Nakhon Phanom Provincial Police, said the three Laotians complained to police on Wednesday that a Highway Police patrol car forced their pickup truck to stop on Nakhon Phanom-Tha Utain Road while they were heading to a bridge crossing the Mekong River back to Laos.

Three men wearing police uniforms forced Sonsai Simaharad, 37, one of the Laotians, to get into their car.

They took Bt3.5 million and a mobile phone from Sonsai and left him by the side of the road after threatening to kill him if he told police.

According to police, the teller told the dismissed officers that Sonsai often withdrew Bt2 million-Bt3 million from his company's account.

The sawmill in Laos did business with Thais and had opened the account with the Thai bank to facilitate its Thai customers' transactions.

The suspects denied charges of theft, but police said they had seized the stolen money from them and returned it to the owner. Police also said they had enough witnesses and evidence to book them.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-14

Is it legal to cross the border carrying B3.5 million in cash? If so, why - except to assist criminals in illegal transactions.

If he money has been declared and the transaction approved, it's obviously legal. If it wasn't they probably wouldn't have gone to the police with the case.

• Like 1

Is it legal to cross the border carrying B3.5 million in cash? If so, why - except to assist criminals in illegal transactions.

If he money has been declared and the transaction approved, it's obviously legal. If it wasn't they probably wouldn't have gone to the police with the case.

You overlook the fact that they were robbed in Thailand, hadn't crossed the border, or declared or otherwise the amount of currency they were carrying. I'm reasonably sure that the transaction was legal, but that doesn't indicate anything about their later intent - and that isn't illegal until you attempt it (if it is illegal.)

Stupid comment. Not everyone with money is a criminal. There are plenty of reasons that they could have been carrying cash. And for your information, no it's not illegal to cross the border with that much cash.

• Like 1

I don't understand what the cash owner's intention with his money has to do with this crime. Sometimes, a lot of cash is needed for some reason, particularly in this part of the world. I've had one instance here in Thailand where a government agency insisted on being paid nearly a million baht in cash, and yes, it was a perfectly legitimate payment for which I received an official, stamped receipt. Carrying a lot of cash doesn't mean that the person carrying has any criminal intent.

• Like 1

I have said this time and time again. If Thailand wants to stop crime, just fire all the police officers......

They are nothing more than a giant mafia sanctioned by the government, with the intent to bleed

poor Thai people dry. However these guys must have really screwed the pooch. Dismissed ???

I have never heard of such a punishment, the standard treatment is the classic inactive post.

they should have been charged with

• extortion
  • deprovation of liberty
  • therats of violence and murder
  • and the maximum sentence imposed for each crime.

Then how do you think the BIB will be the next time they try to get thier tea money?

maybe we should all buy one of those hiddern cam pens??? cause thats what i'll be doing the next time i go too the immigration police for my yearly visa.

they should have been charged with

• extortion
  • deprovation of liberty
  • therats of violence and murder
  • and the maximum sentence imposed for each crime.

Then how do you think the BIB will be the next time they try to get thier tea money?

Pretty confident given that those officers will probably be the ones doing it.

Don't you remember the five Thai Police officers CONVICTED of MURDER. SENTENCED to DEATH. Then immediately FREED because the 'appealed'.

It was only about 2 months ago.

maybe we should all buy one of those hiddern cam pens??? cause thats what i'll be doing the next time i go too the immigration police for my yearly visa.

Now there's an idea. I'm sure you'll be the victor come the end of it. rolleyes.gif

Edited by cbrer

One of the world's most corrupt juridical systems, uniformed police who are robbing businessmen and getting caught in drug busts and on top of this a government full off liars and thieves with a fugitive as leader. What to tell my Thai son to be proud about in his country of birth?

One of the world's most corrupt juridical systems, uniformed police who are robbing businessmen and getting caught in drug busts and on top of this a government full off liars and thieves with a fugitive as leader. What to tell my Thai son to be proud about in his country of birth?

Let's not forget the police torturing teenagers to death, being convicted of it and then walking out of court free men.

The 1000+ people the Thai authorities towed out to sea and then set adrift to die without food nor water.

True Thainess, it isn't a pretty picture. :(

Unreal.

Would be interesting to know the name of the bank that works so closely with law enforcement.

It was a teller not the bank. It may be that the bank doesn't vet it's employees well enough but there's no way to tell from this story.

Even with strict screening this can happen in western countries.

This happened at bank offices in my home town.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/london/4376583.stm