Phantom

Potter

Bottom line is if you want a small bike to do some light touring on and a bit more comfort and leg room for around town buy a Phantom but don’t expect to load it up and head of down a busy highway as from what I have seen it is down right dangerous as you need more power and speed to stay ahead of the traffic or you end up with busses and truck cars trying to push you of the road. It not just the Phantom that has this problem many of the 400cc and 600cc choppers are not much better. Use it for what it is meant for and I am sure your phantom will be a good reliable little bike.

I enjoy riding all bikes from my 110 to1100 as long as I am riding I have a grin on my face. Just remember riding in Thailand is not for the faint hearted nor is it a place to learn to ride a motorcycle.

Ride safe

If you think the 200 is hard to handle they are a piece of cake compared to this old beast of a 750, things are done much better today.

Very nice work on that 750. Wondering where you got it done.

I learned a lot from this thread. Thanks to all of you. :o

Noticed that you seem to have a Custom Seat... I am not so much interested in the studs as the seat appears to be much softer than the orginal stock seat... My old butt gets a bit sore after a couple of hours of riding, and would like to consider a softer alturnative... Where did your come from, how comfortable is it and how much did it cost??

Pianoman

I paid 84,000 for a brand new phantom and an additional three something thousand for leather bags on the side. Possible to purchase such leather bags cheaper and in the same quality it is?

Like I said. The quality for the leather bags is very good and I wanted them, though I might get them cheaper I got plessure from them now and feel good about my purchase of both leather bags and Phantom.

Noticed that you seem to have a Custom Seat... I am not so much interested in the studs as the seat appears to be much softer than the orginal stock seat... My old butt gets a bit sore after a couple of hours of riding, and would like to consider a softer alturnative... Where did your come from, how comfortable is it and how much did it cost??

Pianoman

I paid 84,000 for a brand new phantom and an additional three something thousand for leather bags on the side. Possible to purchase such leather bags cheaper and in the same quality it is?

Like I said. The quality for the leather bags is very good and I wanted them, though I might get them cheaper I got plessure from them now and feel good about my purchase of both leather bags and Phantom.

Congradulations, that might not be the best price for bags but it was not bad, you did good.

Pianoman

Congradulations, that might not be the best price for bags but it was not bad, you did good.

If you want a good set of real leather saddle bags made to fit your bike call (SUB A NAN MOTOR) in Khon kean (043) 320992 (09) 7105850. I had a set made for my shadow 1100 after buying and trying a few cheaper sets. The ones I had made are large foam lined and I am happy with the product but they will be going back for a little bit of ajusting They cost 5,500 bht but I am sure a smaller set will be a little bit cheaper. He also has the largest range of bigger motor cycles in Khon kean and plenty of spare parts it is worth a look

The best price on leather saddlebags is to had from a leather shop in the Chatuchak market. Would be at least 1,000 baht cheaper than what you paid, maybe 1,500. Good quality, not the best perhaps.

I believe the standard bags you can buy from the honda dealer are from PVC and cost 1080 baht, the same bags you can get in bike accessorie shop for less than 1000 baht, the leather ones are around 2000 baht, depends on size, I paid 2500 for mine but they are larger and are studded.

I believe the standard bags you can buy from the honda dealer are from PVC and cost 1080 baht, the same bags you can get in bike accessorie shop for less than 1000 baht, the leather ones are around 2000 baht, depends on size, I paid 2500 for mine but they are larger and are studded.

So you riding the new critter and getting the feel of it?

If you think the 200 is hard to handle they are a piece of cake compared to this old beast of a 750, things are done much better today.

Very nice work on that 750. Wondering where you got it done.

There are three very good big bike mechanics here in Udon so everything was done locally.

So you riding the new critter and getting the feel of it?

love it

• 1 month later...

Where are you?

The 750 pictured here is up for sale at 70K.

Here in Udon I know of several 150CC phantom's forsale I imagine there are 200's around as well.

I wouldn't recommend the 750, unless your an excellent rider and I own it and ride so trust me on this one.

• 1 month later...
If you want a good set of real leather saddle bags made to fit your bike call (SUB A NAN MOTOR) in Khon kean (043) 320992 (09) 7105850. I had a set made for my shadow 1100 after buying and trying a few cheaper sets. The ones I had made are large foam lined and I am happy with the product but they will be going back for a little bit of ajusting They cost 5,500 bht but I am sure a smaller set will be a little bit cheaper. He also has the largest range of bigger motor cycles in Khon kean and plenty of spare parts it is worth a look

Where in Khon Kaen is this shop located? Directions? :o

I have had one for about two years and really really like it. I have had hundreds of motorcycles over 30 years and this one is pretty high on the list especially for driving in Thailand.

Large frame and lightweight makes for decent comfort and easy handling at slow speeds. Its a honda, with minimal maintenance it has proven exceptionally reliable. Drive it up into the mountains around Chiang Mai every year, lots of shifting but never had to push it over a peak yet.

Easy on gas, easy and cheap to service, good cruising, just fine for splitting lanes in Bangkok, it is an excellent compromise.

The gearbox is pure junk, feels like shifting a bag full of marbles. Misses gears alot, could use better rear shocks than the 240 baht standard equipment. The OEM tires and brakes are junk too, the bike performs much better when these are replaced with quality components.

This year I think I will punch mine out to 250cc, thats what they were originally designed as in Japan, our Thai Phantoms are undersized to comply with regulations. The 250cc kit is just pistons and rebore, easy and makes a big differance.

Great bike, great choice, you will enjoy it with few problems and have something to resell easily when your done.

i have a Phantom too. I like it just fine but it's a little underpowered for the hills in Phuket.

Where do you get the 250cc kit?