Party For 4000 Auto Workers Turns Into Violent Fight: Thailand

Rimmer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Automobile production requires trained and "educated" personnel ????? <deleted>?

Ive been in the auto industry all my life.

Working on the assembly line is the pitts.

You certainly dont need any form of education to fit the same 20 bolts to 250 cars a shift.

It is rather disturbing to read the comments of some people in this thread. Who are they to denigrate people without knowing if the people they stereotype were even implicated? For all anyone knows, the fireworks, described as grenade, and the rowdiiness may have been caused by people not even invited.

Newsflash: It is now the 21st century. Yes, uneducated people like you were able to get by in the old industry. Times changed.

FYI here's what the Flint Journal reported in July 2008, and the comments hold for Thailand.

FLINT, Michigan -- Brawn is no longer a golden ticket in the auto industry. The new autoworker needs math abilities, technical reading skills and computer literacy.He or she will come armed with skills to keep up with changing technologies -- ready to operate advanced machinery and robots.

"There have been significant increases in the sophistication of technology and the expectation is that the technology is going to continue to change at a rapid pace," said David Cole, chairman for the Ann Arbor-based Center for Automotive Research. "In the old world, you didn't have to have much of an education. The floor person told you what to do and you did it. That is long gone." The auto industry soon will need an even greater number of highly skilled workers and it will be up to higher education institutions to train them for the new world, experts say. Based on the center's recent report, "Beyond the Big Leave," technical and community colleges will play key roles in delivering both initial and ongoing training to the workforce that auto companies say they need. And in this car town and birthplace of General Motors, training for autoworkers continues to evolve. Companies surveyed in "Beyond the Big Leave" (which interviewed GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and Honda officials) identified a skilled workforce as a big factor in locating facilities."Industries are going to sophisticated automotive machinery ... they need people who can interact with that equipment, design it, troubleshoot it, and maintain it, so they're really going to need folks who have a sophisticated set of skills."It's more sophisticated than it's ever been," he added. "That's why it results in new products and services colleges and universities will deliver.

Edited by geriatrickid

4000 people from formerly rival firms, getting drunk together when there is high insecurity about job security....somethings going to give.

The real buffoons are the organisers, not the brawlers.

I think this was meant to be one of those "We're all Thais" affairs with the press present but it gang aft agely as the Poet Burns once said...

Or did they play "gangnam style" by mistake during one of the presentations???

• Like 1

Why should it be reported in English and reach the rest of the world. Do they report brawls in the USA in the Thai press? No. A brawl at a party in Thailand isn't newsworthy in other countries. Not sure why you're so interested in wanting the whole world to know about some party punch-up. Happens every single weekend in the UK, but rarely reported even in the locality it happens in.

This doesn't happen in the UK at a party a company throws for the own employees. Full stop.

Did anyone see any guns? Any shrapnel injuries reported? It sounds to me like fireworks rather than guns and grenades. Probably very few people actually involved and the rest spooked and trying to get out the door. What I see in the article is media trying to make a copy out of a party that turned into a drunken brawl. Who the heck has such a desperately diminished ego and lacks so much imagination that they would need to start dumping on the Thais over this?

Amazing Thailand - indeed!

Unseen Thailand - for sure!

When are these people going to: a. behave like civilised human beings instead of opting for mass brawls/riots/demos when they cant get their way?

b. realize that the internet is going to stay and just because they dont report it in the English speaking papers, doesnt mean it

doesnt mean it wont reach the rest of the world.

Who the hell goes to a party tooled up with home made grenades and guns if they had no intention to start trouble??

Why should it be reported in English and reach the rest of the world. Do they report brawls in the USA in the Thai press? No. A brawl at a party in Thailand isn't newsworthy in other countries. Not sure why you're so interested in wanting the whole world to know about some party punch-up. Happens every single weekend in the UK, but rarely reported even in the locality it happens in.

Agreed a night club scuffle happens every week in UK.

This was 4000 people party ie a mass brawl, guns and grenades were used and the party was organised by Honda. This WOULD make the news if it happened in UK.

You are making statements when the article said there is rumors of a home made grenade and some people claimed to hear gun shots so this is not fact. According to the article some people were treated for wounds from broken glass no comments about gun shot wounds. Also this was the Auto Alliance, which is a joint venture between Ford and Mazda not HONDA. Lastly the party was for 4000 people, not all of those people were fighting, as the article clearly states people we running for the exit. So this was not a mass Brawl with guns and Grenades.

• Like 1

When are these people going to: a. behave like civilised human beings instead of opting for mass brawls/riots/demos when they cant get their way?

b. realize that the internet is going to stay and just because they dont report it in the English speaking papers, doesnt mean it

Who the hell goes to a party tooled up with home made grenades and guns if they had no intention to start trouble??

DJ - that’s a nonsense remark - if 4000 auto workers in the USA were brought together for a party and brought guns and hand-grenades with them it would make worldwide news - how simple minded for you to say that bcoz its a local issue the news is only local value. Thailand branches of Ford & Mazda have serious issues on their hands with the bad press from this - but if this were to happen in USA the corporate office would be firing the entire lot of them simply due to the media pressure and eye in the sky sort of mentality.

Well, this is not the USA, this is Thailand. You need to keep in mind this is Thai reporting, not the USA. 98% of the reports here go on hearsay and dont check facts. How many times have you had a story change two or three times before the facts come out. Happens all the time here in Thailand.

Can you explain what you mean "eye in the sky sort of mentality" I don't understand what this refers too.

Also you are making assumptions. Nobody said there were any guns, they said they heard what they thought was gun shots. Nobody confirmed there was a grande, which most likely was only fireworks. Look when we had the demonstrations in BKK, they used fireworks, which they were organized. So don't believe everything that is reported in Thailand.

• Like 1

I'm still curious about this restaurant that will seat 4000 customers at one time! I know that there are some big restaurants near the shore in that area that would probably sit 500, but 4000???blink.png

That's it,spot on of course,only seating accomodation for 500 quests,and 4000 turn up.Now that is a recipe for trouble in any part of the world.Table resevered for Mazda workers ,others have standing room. No chairs where thrown like in cowboy movie saloon brawls.Thai Plastic chairs,plastic cups,sensible.

Pattaya Daily News reports that there were only 10 police officers from the Borwin police station assigned to the party But the outnumbered officers could not enter the rented hall to stop the fighting because of the sheer size of the crowds. All they could do was wait outside to assist the people escaping from the facility.

10 armed policemen are afraid to enter a restaurant to try to break up a drunken brawl, real super heros the Thai police!

With home made grenades and guns? I think that would get reported, probably nationally!

I've never seen dead people lying in the road after festivities in the UK. I saw one in a rural town outside Nakhon Phanom - product of a 'biker gang' spat (in reality Honda 125 youths) within a few months of spending my time inThailand. Must be the company (female) I once kept out here!

I saw a guy get shot and a few stabbings in big london clubs at drum and base raves around end of 90s and early 2000s, Alexandra palace and Brixton academy were especially sketchy because of the size of the venues it was basically a free for all in side; drug selling, fighting, people getting jacked, yardies blazing up crack pipes openly. Never made nationals but deaths would get recorded in the locals, but too many injuries to have space to right about them all. Serious violence in cities, on the streets, in licenced premises, everywhere everyday that's hardly reported on. Thailand is reasonably safe and civilised in my book.

Edited by mccw
  • Like 1

The trick is to arrive early, to eat and drink fast, then get out before it deteriorates. I always try to be gone within an hour or so of arriving. I'm more than bored enough by then anyway

Indeed BPB - if you ahve the social obligation its best to dine and dash - get that mobile out and drift off - or important business, whatever. Here about the fights the next day.

I'm still curious about this restaurant that will seat 4000 customers at one time! I know that there are some big restaurants near the shore in that area that would probably sit 500, but 4000???blink.png

That's it,spot on of course,only seating accomodation for 500 quests,and 4000 turn up.Now that is a recipe for trouble in any part of the world.Table resevered for Mazda workers ,others have standing room. No chairs where thrown like in cowboy movie saloon brawls.Thai Plastic chairs,plastic cups,sensible.

A sensible guess, the event was not actually held at a restaurant, but at a large hall or hotel conference centre, and catering services were hired to support the event. I worked in the Thai car industry for a few years, and this is certainly not the first time Auti Alliance Thailand have held a large gathering, all of those that i attended were very well coordinated and well ran.

Automobile production requires trained and "educated" personnel ????? <deleted>?

Ive been in the auto industry all my life.

Working on the assembly line is the pitts.

You certainly dont need any form of education to fit the same 20 bolts to 250 cars a shift.

It is rather disturbing to read the comments of some people in this thread. Who are they to denigrate people without knowing if the people they stereotype were even implicated? For all anyone knows, the fireworks, described as grenade, and the rowdiiness may have been caused by people not even invited.

Newsflash: It is now the 21st century. Yes, uneducated people like you were able to get by in the old industry. Times changed.

FYI here's what the Flint Journal reported in July 2008, and the comments hold for Thailand.

FLINT, Michigan -- Brawn is no longer a golden ticket in the auto industry. The new autoworker needs math abilities, technical reading skills and computer literacy.He or she will come armed with skills to keep up with changing technologies -- ready to operate advanced machinery and robots.

"There have been significant increases in the sophistication of technology and the expectation is that the technology is going to continue to change at a rapid pace," said David Cole, chairman for the Ann Arbor-based Center for Automotive Research. "In the old world, you didn't have to have much of an education. The floor person told you what to do and you did it. That is long gone." The auto industry soon will need an even greater number of highly skilled workers and it will be up to higher education institutions to train them for the new world, experts say. Based on the center's recent report, "Beyond the Big Leave," technical and community colleges will play key roles in delivering both initial and ongoing training to the workforce that auto companies say they need. And in this car town and birthplace of General Motors, training for autoworkers continues to evolve. Companies surveyed in "Beyond the Big Leave" (which interviewed GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and Honda officials) identified a skilled workforce as a big factor in locating facilities."Industries are going to sophisticated automotive machinery ... they need people who can interact with that equipment, design it, troubleshoot it, and maintain it, so they're really going to need folks who have a sophisticated set of skills."It's more sophisticated than it's ever been," he added. "That's why it results in new products and services colleges and universities will deliver.

You are assuming that Thai and US Auto workers are the same.

Your knowledge of the Thai Auto-workers appears to be just about as credible as your political commentary.

What is the mindset of these people? They go to a party with hand guns, and home made grenades?

What will they bring if they go to a political rally? What will they need to go to war?

What is wrong with this country?

It's not all the People,,,,,,there are 70 million in this country. I read about the group of people that were fighting at a party attended by 4.000. I would think that 3.500 were trying to get out and had no intention of fighting,they just got caught up in it. just like a pub brawl or baseball game a few start the fight and the innocent get caught up in it. Nothing that doesn't happen in other countries.

Pattaya Daily News reports that there were only 10 police officers from the Borwin police station assigned to the party But the outnumbered officers could not enter the rented hall to stop the fighting because of the sheer size of the crowds. All they could do was wait outside to assist the people escaping from the facility.

10 armed policemen are afraid to enter a restaurant to try to break up a drunken brawl, real super heros the Thai police!

In England the police would have done the same as the Thai police, let the ones wanting to leave,leave. Then they would go-in knowing who and how many they are up against. PS the police may have had guns, but they can't use them to shoot drunks fighting. Remember Fireworks can hurt people and can sound very much like gun fire,when people are already in a panic.

Edited by Lopburikid

The 'lower' classes are highly uneducated, and many have alcohol problems. In other words, dangrously unpredictable, and easily led.

totally agree with you! Not to mention uncivilized, uncultured & uncouth. Always the aggressor! Highly reactive too!

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif Thank you!!! Thank you!!!wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif You have just inspired me to redouble my job search!!! I will remain in Thailand but not allow myself to evolve into the typical miserable, stagnant prototypical expat perennial deadwood that could produce a post such as yours and the one that you responded to. If I told you that your post was sooo needy you would not have a clue as to what I was talking about.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif
  • Like 1

The 'lower' classes are highly uneducated, and many have alcohol problems. In other words, dangrously unpredictable, and easily led.

?????

Automobile production requires trained and "educated" personnel. Although assembly lines are automated, the workers have to be able to read the monitors and operate complex machinery. There is a reason why they are termed skilled labour. I always have a chuckle when people ridicule skilled tradespeople. It may come as a shock, but some of these trades require people with excellent eye and hand co-ordination, advanced spatial processing skills and inherent math skills. In plain english, a good tradesman is just as intelligent as a manager, or nurse. Our lab would have been lost without the workie that would help design a specialty piece of machinery or operate some of the equipment, For all you know, it could have been the engineers that lost control. Anyone that has been in university, knows that the engineering students were abunch of social misfits with a weakness for the bottle. Or, it might have been the mid level managers. Theya re known to lose control when freebies are on offer.

Which adequately explains the demise of the UK car industry.

• Like 1

And there was me thinking it was just Aussie's who can't handle their p1ss!!!!

Rickster. as a native born Australian who is a very moderate, social drinker, I think your comments are are little bit off the mark and to some people may be offensive.

Why not become familiar with the Forum Rules before posting?

Forum Rules

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Touchy touchy, what about all those discriminatory comments about the thais, double standards ? Besides most people know the Aussies like drinking

It saddens me to see a fellow Aussie reaching for the Poltically Correct handbook.

We used to be the masters of sledging.

Sorry Fellows. My command of the English Language is not the best. I did get, as do many of my race do an "F" for all my language classes at school. I did my best but I had to be cautious as recently I recieved a Warning when refering to "Po**ie W**ngers" Regards to you all.

but they sure know how to throw a wild party and let their hair down...

When I read this description, I thought he was referring to many of the farangs who reside in Thailand..

Many lower classes/uneducated farangs live in Thailand

Lots have alcohol problems

are very unpredictable, paranoid believing every Thai is out to get them, rip them off

and very easily led...lets face it how many have lost money, houses etc to their Teeraks ?

wink.png

?????

Automobile production requires trained and "educated" personnel. Although assembly lines are automated, the workers have to be able to read the monitors and operate complex machinery. There is a reason why they are termed skilled labour. I always have a chuckle when people ridicule skilled tradespeople. It may come as a shock, but some of these trades require people with excellent eye and hand co-ordination, advanced spatial processing skills and inherent math skills. In plain english, a good tradesman is just as intelligent as a manager, or nurse. Our lab would have been lost without the workie that would help design a specialty piece of machinery or operate some of the equipment, For all you know, it could have been the engineers that lost control. Anyone that has been in university, knows that the engineering students were abunch of social misfits with a weakness for the bottle. Or, it might have been the mid level managers. Theya re known to lose control when freebies are on offer.

Which adequately explains the demise of the UK car industry.

Or <deleted> cars and no investment!