6 Months With The Sym 400I

sgunn65

I originally posted my first impressions of the Sym back in June/July and I was very impressed. But what has it been like living with the bike for 6 months?

Well I am just as impressed with it now as I was then.

The bike looks as good as it did when I first rode it out of the showroom. Everything works as it should and there has been no discolouration as was suggested by a poster.

My initial reason for buying the Sym was that I wanted something for longer runs as well as a bike that could handle the madness that is Pattaya city traffic. Within a couple of months of buying it however I got a new job five minutes ride from my house so the long runs stopped. Since August I have rarely driven it outside the city. But no matter, as it handles like a PCX in traffic. For a bike of 200kgs it feels remarkably agile and stable when weaving in and out of traffic.

Although it is a little wider than a PCX there is rarely a gap that I cannot get through. My only niggle is that, because it is quite a bit longer than most twist and go's, when parking I need a wider gap to put the bike in at an angle so its rear is not sticking out waiting for someone to clip it. Also when I park facing the kerb I dont want to have my front wheel in a camber as reversing using the flintstone method requires strong calf muscles!

The storage is brilliant and holds two helmets very comfortably so no more herberts permanently borrowing my helmet!

Because the tank holds 15 litres my trip to the petrol station has reduced from every other day (with the Suzuki Step) to every other week.

I was also pleasantly suprised to find a handbrake which I hadn't known about (great for parking on the slope outside Tonys in Jomtien) and a headlight flasher button. Nice little touches.

The linked braking and 3 disc brakes are excellent and give me loads of confidence in the wet.

I looked at the 300i but felt the seat lifting furniture (single strut) was flimsy and would not last long. Not so with the 400 which has a double strut.

Overall the Sym 400i is an excellent bike and well worth the 209,000 baht it cost. It would seem several people agree with me as I see more and more Syms on the road in Pattaya. I still get lots of people asking me about it and it always draws interest when parked. But when my girlfriend drives it she gets mobbed by Thai's asking about it. She is 45kg and finds it very easy to handle. It probably helps that she is 170cm but I always laugh when she goes out on it as she looks tiny.

So if you are wavering, don't. It is worth every penny.

Good review, there was also a recent post about the 2 smaller Sym's (the ones that look like a Vespa) and if they are built as well as this one then they could represent excellent value as well. I'd certainly consider a Sym if I was after an auto scooter. Glad you like the bike, must be nice having a 15 litre fuel tank, it was a real pain having such a small tank on my Nouvo when I was using it daily.

hi sgunn,

thanks for the review - i am waiting for the honda forza 300cc is coming to thailand in 2013 and after i will consider either the SYM400 or the honda. If the honda is below 200k i think i will go for it as the resale will be much easier and honda is honda - i guess. Currently riding the PCX 150cc and 95% Pattaya City but more power and riding quality is always worth it.

Cheers Mr.J

• 5 months later...

I kind of wondered what happened to JeffreyMcCollum?

Has not logged on in over 2 months. I know he rode a lot by his posts

hope he is ok.

Also he had bought the new Benelli TNT600 so I was curious to hear how that went

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

I kind of wondered what happened to JeffreyMcCollum?

Has not logged on in over 2 months. I know he rode a lot by his posts

hope he is ok.

Also he had bought the new Benelli TNT600 so I was curious to hear how that went

if he bought a benelli, that might be the reason why we are not hearing from him maybe!

if he bought a benelli, that might be the reason why we are not hearing from him maybe!

Hope not on any bike in any case.

I know he use to organize long scooter rides up here too.

Anyway, hope he is ok

• Like 1