More Schengen Stress - Show Documents Again When Enter Italy?

So me and my wife have had a bit of a headache getting the Schengen visa for our trip to italy. We eventually got it 36 days after applying - we had to pick it up ourselves the day before flying to the UK.

Anyway our trip to Italy is planned for Jan 3rd. We are already on holiday in the UK.

We just read a piece of paper that came back with the passport which states: "not withstanding the fact that one has been granted the visa, border authorities are authorised ti request again the proof of the prerequisites for obtaining that visa'

So basically we are supposed to take all the documents we used to apply for the visa with us!

So its a bit late for us to find this out as we are 10,000km from home where the documents are. its our own fault I guess but if the visa had come back on time we might have seen these instructions whilst we were still able to do something about them.

The questions is. Has anyone ever been asked to present these documents again when entering the Schengen area (or more specifically italy)?

Starting to stress out AGAIN!!!