The Modem, The Tot Engineer And The Supervisor....

pattayadingo

Bear with me :)

A while ago I posted about having problems with my internet connection failing x times a day and the engineer saying the modem was no good and to buy a new one......

On Wednesday night the internet connection went down and never came back on. I phoned TOT and they said they'd inform the technicians.

5 days on and over 20 phone calls later and still nothing happened. No contact from TOT or the engineer. All those on the tech line kept telling me there were no supervisors, or they had gone home or it was their day off, so I could not speak to someone in charge.

I checked and re-checked the software and the modem insisted there was no connection.

On to today. I finally got to speak to a supervisor. Hooray!!!

or maybe not hooray :(

The supervisor tried to reset the connection from his end and when that failed he told me he would send an engineer out. He was good to his word and the engineer came to the house within the hour. Well done to that supervisor.

Oops. It was the same engineer as before. He walked into the computer room, glanced at the modem and told my g/f I need a new one - again, same story as before. No line checks, no connection checks and no modem checks done.

Before the g/f could translate what the engineer had said to her, he was in his truck and speeding off down the street.

I went to Tukom and bought a new modem in case the old one was faulty. As i looked at the old modem to get the settings and password numbers needed to type into the new modem, I wrote them all down.

Then a thought occurred to me that as I had every page of information written down, to do a 'quick start' setup from the modem software.

That worked. The modem booted and I had an ADSL light for the first time in almost 6 days!!

Why the software should have failed is anybody's guess unless it possibly had something to do with the new settings the technician had entered when they installed the new connection here at the new house a month ago. Maybe that is why the connection failed x times per day too.

Back to the supervisor.....

I phoned TOT and was finally put back to the same supervisor. I explained the situation to him and the technician's blase response, that I'd bought a new modem etc. Also how unhappy i was at the service.

The supervisor has sent off a complaint to the engineers boss - and I believe he has done so, because he has also organised a refund of money off my next bill for my down time and the amount of calls I had to make before I got a response.

Well done to that supervisor :)

The key seems to have been polite insistance and persistence even when i wanted to throttle each of those on the end of the phone who insisted there were no supervisors available and each put me through the same old BS every call.

OK, rant over, but it shows those technicians are not always rtight and the guys on here who said the modem is capable of 8 - 10 mbs are. Be patient with these people rolleyes.gif

Good to hear that it all worked out, and no problem in having 2 modems (I have 3 wink.png ) just in case you have a problem again you can check if it is the modem by plugging the new one in.

Edit: //

Which modem did you buy ?? Is it capable of ADSL2+ ?

Edited by MJCM

I had an intermittent problem on 3bb and they sent someone out. It seems the belekin router I have is not suited to the new adsl + 2 and though it connects receives slowly often. It seems to be right to as I have tried using the 3bb router and have no problems for long periods but with the belekin slow speeds appear intermitently. It think it has something to do with a network change about the same time as they increased the speeds to 13-20 gig.

Good to hear that it all worked out, and no problem in having 2 modems (I have 3 wink.png ) just in case you have a problem again you can check if it is the modem by plugging the new one in.

Edit: //

Which modem did you buy ?? Is it capable of ADSL2+ ?

Yes it is ADSL2+ capable. A ZyXel P-660R. I did not see the point in shelling out for a wi-fi modem especially at more than double the cost and not having any need for wi-fi.

I had an intermittent problem on 3bb and they sent someone out. It seems the belekin router I have is not suited to the new adsl + 2 and though it connects receives slowly often. It seems to be right to as I have tried using the 3bb router and have no problems for long periods but with the belekin slow speeds appear intermitently. It think it has something to do with a network change about the same time as they increased the speeds to 13-20 gig.

That does seem possible. Though here we have 8 mbs so it is adequate for me. It is fair rattling through the torrent downloads at 500 +

The now spare other modem as I said in reply to MJCM is ADSL2+ capable so will do me for the future.

I had (still have) the same problem, where the TOT technician told me to buy a new modem, but I was unable to make the new one work, not even with the assistance of the TOT phone help. They promised to send a technician, I am still waiting. That was 5 weeks ago...

Meanwhile I still use the old, outdated modem.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

I had (still have) the same problem, where the TOT technician told me to buy a new modem, but I was unable to make the new one work, not even with the assistance of the TOT phone help. They promised to send a technician, I am still waiting. That was 5 weeks ago...

Meanwhile I still use the old, outdated modem.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect App

have you looked at your modem via a URL?

My old modem is ADSL+2 compatable so I discover when I look into it.

I'd also politely but firmly insist on speaking to a supervisor / boss / chief (depending on what each individual calls them).

That is how I got a lot of stuff sorted with TOT.

Also is your ADSL light flickering a lot or showing intermittent connection? That was and (sometimes now) is the problem.

I live about 65 km from Khampaeng Phet which is where my link originates.

I am very lucky with the supervisor there as he can speak some English, he does get the system restarted if it is possible or he will send an engineer out to where the problem is.

He is also honest and if it can't be fixed quickly he will say so and also call when it comes back up again.

I always ring them back and say thank you for fixing the system.

I suspect that I may be very lucky with the TOT at KPP and others may not be so lucky with the TOT staff where they live.