Where To Live..

PomRakBKK

So i am planning to go to pattaya for a few months and i fancy a little ocean view studio room with a small kitchen so i can cook some food on my own. It should be somewhat central but if Pattaya or Jomtien doesn't really matter, i would prefer walking distance to some restaurants and shops. View Talay 6 looks good but its hard to get room with ocean view there at the moment.

A good gym should be near as well as a decent muay thai gym.

Any recommendations?

I might be willing to sign a 3 month lease if the price is right but i am looking for something below 20k/month.

VT6 can be overpriced and, as you say, many rooms dont have what I would describe as a decent view.

In your shoes I would be inclined to look in VT5 in Jomtien. Some units in VT1 are OK also as is VT2. Also Jomtien Complex or VT7. All of those are convenient for most of the things you want (there is a Tony's 5 minutes walk from all of those but I dont know about Muay Thai gyms), and are on the main bahtbus route. You should have little trouble finding something for between 10 and 15k/month. Some units in those buildings have very nice views, some dont have any view at all. You will just have to keep looking until you find one that you like. Be prepared to bargain HARD and start very low; most asking prices are plucked straight out of thin air here.

It'll be tough to get a place in VT6 with a view especially this time of the year for under 20k, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't try. Visit some of the offices downstairs and check-out the cork board near the elevators. Last year I found a place on the 26th floor Central Mall side for 18k/month, out of high season. Trying to find a place during high season is the worst, as mentioned the $ numbers are created from thin air regardless of the inventory on hand.

Jomtien VT2, or 1, or 7, all can work, and priced lower.

There's a big difference between being in Pattaya at VT6 vs. Jomtien, especially if you don't have a car or ride motorbike. If you're single, looking to mingle almost all nights, want to be able to walk/be close to everything then it's hard to beat VT6 and Central Pattaya.

I like to workout at Tony's on Soi Buakhao, but most people think it's a shi*hole, I could careless, has what I need. You can also hit Tony's on S. Pattaya Rd. I don't know a lot about Muay Thai, Fairtex is the only spot I know of on N. Pattaya Rd. (and that's a long way from Jomtien if you're hitting it on the regular).

3 month lease will help to negotiate a lower price.

I also like The Avenue Residence of soi 15 between soi Buakhao and Pattaya 2nd Rd. No beach view, but it has a small gym and long pool, good location and priced around 18k baht/month.

I suppose that you mean Seaview, rather than Oceanview.

The best way to find out what condo's there are with seaview, is to come down (or up?) here and check them out.

OK, the most of the ViewTalay Projects offer seaviews, but there are also "seaview" condo which cause only twisted necks when trying to catch a glimp of seaview

There are studio apartments to rent at Markland Condo-Hotel. The rooms are around 47 sq. meters, some facing the south. (Don't rent on the north side since there is construction of a big hotel going on behind the Holiday Inn. The building is located in the more "civilized" part of Pattaya (where the 5 star hotels are located), plus across the street from the beach prominade, and walking distance to Fairtex Fitness which has kick boxing facilities and teachers.

The rooms at Markland should be under 20,000 baht-each room is privately owned so the rental will vary. There is no kitchen area, just a sink and hotplate most likely.