'1St Brother's Govt' Roasted

webfact

'1st brother's govt' roasted

Annual Ritual

THE NATION

30196894-01_big.jpg

Reporters dub PM Yingluck the 'Backstroking Crab'

BANGKOK: -- It's the time of year when reporters covering the Government House beat pool their creative talents to think up nicknames and labels for the government and their favourite Cabinet members.

For the Pheu Thai-led government, the news people voted to choose the label "First Brother's Government". This was to mock its policy of offering rebates to first-time owners of houses and cars - and to reflect claims Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's administration often gives priority to her big brother, ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

"The shadows of the big brother and the big sister have been cast over the government. The country's problems have not been tackled efficiently, but the elder siblings are always given priority. They always have to come first," said the Government House reporters' press release obtained by The Nation yesterday.

The PM's elder sister, Yaowapa Wongsawat, leads the ruling party's largest faction. She is believed to be one of the most powerful figures in the party, probably second only to Thaksin.

Prime Minister Yingluck herself got the moniker "Backstroking Crab" to describe her style of running the country.

"The crab often goes sideways and fails to walk straight. Prime Minister Yingluck also has to be burdened by demands from big brother and big sister, and even people around her who keep pulling her back and forth. She has achieved nothing concrete. When political problems arise, she often goes backstroking and keeping herself away from the problems," said a brief explanation in the press release.

The PM's actual nickname is "Pou", which means crab.

The Quote of the Year went to the prime minister: "Staying afloat is different from lack of responsibility." She made the comment when responding to an allegation by opposition politicians during the recent censure debate that she still stayed afloat despite the problems of running the country.

At the censure debate against her and three other Cabinet members in late November, the prime minister was absent for most of the House meeting and responded briefly to the opposition MPs' allegations from prepared notes. Her major argument was that there were Cabinet members and state agencies assigned to be responsible for the raised issues.

Nine other Cabinet members also received the honour of being tagged by the Government House reporters.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung was nicknamed "the Shinawatras' Bumper", due to his role as "bodyguard defending the prime minister, the big boss, and others in the Shinawatra family in all forms. He often went head-on in all issues" to protect them, the statement said.

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong got the nickname "White-Lie Chick" for his admission to having lied about the country's economic conditions. He claimed to have been allowed by someone he didn't identify to tell "white lies sometimes".

The reporters' attached explanation said that although Kittiratt's actual nickname is Tong, which means a rooster, his performance so far could only earn him the status of a young cockerel.

Defence Minister ACM Sukam-pol Suwannathat was given the moniker "Hunter for the Handsome Guy". It was explained that the defence minister's only obvious achievement was to order retroactive dismissal of Abhisit Vejjajiva from Army service, more than 20 years after his departure.

Abhisit, who is former prime minister and Democrat Party leader, was accused of using conscription documents with incorrect information when applying to become a lecturer at the Chulachomklao Royal Military Academy.

Deputy Commerce Minister Natthawut Saikua was nicknamed "Fake Peasant" for adopting the lifestyle of an elite while claiming to be a "phrai" (a Thai term that can be translated as "peasant").

Natthawut is a leader of the red-shirt movement, which vowed to fight a war between "phrai" and "ammart" (elite).

Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom got the moniker "Boon Sut" - which literally means "sinking merit" - for his failure to curb the rising prices of consumer products. The controversy over his ministry's allegedly fraudulent rice deal with China also caused him to come under fire.

Science Minister Woravat Auapinyakul was nicknamed "Powered by D" for having retained his Cabinet post after repeated reshuffles. This could be due to the fact he got the backing of Madame D, a powerful figure in the ruling Pheu Thai Party.

Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt received the nickname "Standby Foreman" for being assigned to different responsibilities although he is a new-face Cabinet member.

Deputy Prime Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi was said to "Turn Water into Capital" for presiding over the government's Bt350-billion anti-flood project in a flood-free year.

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan was nicknamed "Sub-stitute Singha" for assuming the post after the departure of Yongyuth Wichaidit due to the Alpine scandal. Charupong, who also replaced Yongyuth as Pheu Thai leader, is viewed as a "puppet, not the real player", according to the brief explanation. The singha, a mythical animal, is the symbol of the Interior Ministry.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-27

What is the Thai for "underachieving whinger"?

I believe that is what the Thai Press, (well it's not just the Thai Press actually, its a lot of people) call Abhisit.

You really should seek help over this need to drag Abhisit into every thread.

What other opposition MP who was an PM do you suggest I use as a counterpoint in an argument?

You understand how this forum thing works yes? Someone makes a statement. If you disagree with that statement, you make a counter statement. It helps if the counter statement is relevant to the topic. In this case the main topic is the nick names given to the government, in particular the PM.

With me so far?

Now I make a counter statement with a semi - jocular reference to what the alternative would be called. In this case that would be Abhisit.

Now once again, tell me how I can make a counter reference to the existing Thai PM without mentioning Abhisit? Should I have used President Assad, or maybe the secretary of the Woking Working Mans Club? Have a think about that and then get back to me if you're still having trouble with getting your head round the problem.

• Like 1

Personally i think it's funny.. and in keeping with the New year spirit. It is also fairly close to the point.

The thing to remember is that these are all the Government house reporters NOT just the Nation. And they get to see the petulant Chalerm etc pretty much every day.

• Like 1

Personally i think it's funny.. and in keeping with the New year spirit. It is also fairly close to the point.

The thing to remember is that these are all the Government house reporters NOT just the Nation. And they get to see the petulant Chalerm etc pretty much every day.

But not a lot of Yingluck.

But not a lot of Yingluck.

Well they might because the reporters all tend to go to the photo ops as well as Parliament :)

sent from my Q6

I can't help feeling that the Nation are being short changed by employing the artist who drew the cartoon. I'm not sure given a thousand guesses I would have got Yingluck!

Maybe if the editor strolls through the MBK he will find many a talented young artist in there that could do a proper job. As for the content of the OP, if this is the only time of year that the reporters can choose names that slag off this bunch of criminal reprobates without fear of a class action, then I am all for it. Just a pity they do not do their normal day to day reporting with as much flair and initiative.

• Like 2

Perhaps the press should engage more in responsible reporting, investigation and follow through than wasting time with this sort of idiocy.

Or perhaps The Nation has a greater sense of humour than the posters on this board!

• Like 2

Says more about the infantile mindset of the Nation's reporters who churn out often incomprehensible "news" stories. As AleG said, it's a pity they can't spend more time on actually reporting and digging for the truth.

Nothing to do with The Nation, it's the Thai reporters that cover Government House and an annual tradition. They always ask the 'victims' what they think of their dubbed names too.

Says more about the infantile mindset of the Nation's reporters who churn out often incomprehensible "news" stories. As AleG said, it's a pity they can't spend more time on actually reporting and digging for the truth.

Nothing to do with The Nation, it's the Thai reporters that cover Government House and an annual tradition. They always ask the 'victims' what they think of their dubbed names too.

I confirm it. It's the Thai language press that covers Govt House

I believe that is what the Thai Press, (well it's not just the Thai Press actually, its a lot of people) call Abhisit.

I have no idea why the other members of TVF even dignify your posts with a response. You are nothing but a troll that tries to wind people up.
  • Like 2

You really should seek help over this need to drag Abhisit into every thread.

What other opposition MP who was an PM do you suggest I use as a counterpoint in an argument?

You understand how this forum thing works yes? Someone makes a statement. If you disagree with that statement, you make a counter statement. It helps if the counter statement is relevant to the topic. In this case the main topic is the nick names given to the government, in particular the PM.

With me so far?

Now I make a counter statement with a semi - jocular reference to what the alternative would be called. In this case that would be Abhisit.

Now once again, tell me how I can make a counter reference to the existing Thai PM without mentioning Abhisit? Should I have used President Assad, or maybe the secretary of the Woking Working Mans Club? Have a think about that and then get back to me if you're still having trouble with getting your head round the problem.

But you ended your remark with "I believe that is what the Thai Press, (well it's not just the Thai Press actually, its a lot of people) call Abhisit". As the Thai press do not refer to him as "underachieving whinger", your beliefs are based on ignorance. Which explains the majority of your posts here.

My, we are touchy. Didn't get what you wanted for Xmas? I take it you don't do humour on any occasion.

My posts are targeted at people with some knowledge of the world around them and some understanding of the issues they address. Best for you if you just put me on ignore.

Edited by muttley
  • Like 1

I object to the name "Fake Peasant" given to Nuttiwhat Natthiwut as it is inaccurate and misleading. "Nouveau Riche Peasant" would be much more apt.

I would have thought "Khwai" as an apt option for the rhymn with "Prai". Or if the Thai word for scum also was an "__ai" then that would be fine too.

Another of Thaksins goons heavily involved in the leadership of the convicted fugitive criminals terrorist attack on Bangkok, enjoying his payoff, and looking for the right to be above any law within the Shinwatra Dynasty. The Khwai thugs to keep the Red pheasants bound.

It would be wonderful to remind Thaksin that on this day of Remembrance there is no 'h' in KIng Taksin.

Edited by Roadman

I doubt that The Nation and "The Other Paper" plus the Thai journals have the necessary heavy duty equipment needed to dig for the truth.

With this maladministration, the truth would need to be blasted out from under all the scams and lies and cover ups that we have seen over the last couple of years.

To paraphrase a famous Jack quote, "Thais can't handle the truth"!

Got any links to the scams and cover ups? would love to read about them.

I doubt that The Nation and "The Other Paper" plus the Thai journals have the necessary heavy duty equipment needed to dig for the truth.

With this maladministration, the truth would need to be blasted out from under all the scams and lies and cover ups that we have seen over the last couple of years.

To paraphrase a famous Jack quote, "Thais can't handle the truth"!

Got any links to the scams and cover ups? would love to read about them.

I think the world famous 'rice pledging" scam would qualify and the lying by the Minister of Finance, albeit only "little white lies", qualifies as a cover-up?

1. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Democrats-to-pursue-rice-scam-30195420.html

2. http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/BAAC-gets-cash-amid-more-heat-over-rice-scheme-30191952.html