The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

On 3/5/2020 at 5:24 PM, gargamon said:

I used to go here regularly. They had a ceasar salad in the salad bar that was pretty good. They stopped that maybe 6 months ago and I stopped going. Any chance it's back?

The salad bar is more well stocked on Saturday and Sunday but cost more too...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Casa Espana restaurant

https://www.facebook.com/CasaPttaya/

Spanish food (mostly tapas), general western, and Thai

Dark side but has GRAB delivery

Cant help thinking Jingthing that your recent reviews have moved away from the principles that you posted in the opening piece of your thread.

Personally, I want Restaurant Reviews, not what dishes someone ordered on Grab.

Edited by TaaSaparot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Cant help thinking Jingthing that your recent reviews have moved away from the principles that you posted in the opening piece of your thread.

Personally, I want Restaurant Reviews, not what dishes someone ordered on Grab.

Too bad that you think that.

For me the FOOD has always been the most important thing.

I have never ever suggested there are any strict parameters on what people can post here as long as it's related in some way to Pattaya area restaurants.

If the food is delivered on Grab locally, it's from a local restaurant (unless it's one of those non restaurant suppliers). 

Also note even BEFORE the emergence of the Covid-19 virus the food delivery trend was already booming. Now of course much more so for obvious reasons.

Also don't think that I haven't noticed that you quite often post directly to me in a personally HECKING manner. You can do that but expect pushback.

If you don't think my posts here have value, you are welcome to put me on Ignore.

Bye.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Also don't think that I haven't noticed that you quite often post directly to me in a personally HECKING manner. You can do that but expect pushback.

Not sure what hecking is, but honestly have no idea what you are on about.

It was just an observation that you have moved away the "Hit & Run Restaurant Review" idea that you started the thread with, which has been disappointing to me.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Also note even BEFORE the emergence of the Covid-19 virus the food delivery trend was already booming. Now of course much more so for obvious reasons.

I can not see how this is any safer?

Sure, you are not going to mingle with other diners eating at home, but it is still someone else that is cooking your food, and then you will have Grab delivery driver, along  with his box that he puts your food into, and I am sure they are fastidious about hygiene.

If that was worry to me (its not while there is no cases reported in Pattaya) then I would be cooking my own food at home.

Sorry, I just do not see how using Grab is safer than dining out.

20 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

I can not see how this is any safer?

Sure, you are not going to mingle with other diners eating at home, but it is still someone else that is cooking your food, and then you will have Grab delivery driver, along  with his box that he puts your food into, and I am sure they are fastidious about hygiene.

If that was worry to me (its not while there is no cases reported in Pattaya) then I would be cooking my own food at home.

Sorry, I just do not see how using Grab is safer than dining out.

You're totally wrong. There is zero doubt about that. It most definitely is safer to eat home delivery. Do some research and you'll understand. If you eat at home you're not going out, you're not riding on public transportation, you're not mingling with crowds of people often in cramped quarters at restaurants. Also what if you're infected yourself and don't know it. Then not going out as much is also good for the public health. 

However, this is NOT the topic for a Covid-19 safety discussion. I suggest if you want to continue this, either post on an on topic post or start a new one.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, TaaSaparot said:

Not sure what hecking is, but honestly have no idea what you are on about.

It was just an observation that you have moved away the "Hit & Run Restaurant Review" idea that you started the thread with, which has been disappointing to me.

I do not believe you. 

• Sad 1

Moving on from the totally off topic virus safety discussion of course I have been using (and I'm sure that many thousands of other locals have as well) food delivery services long before recently. Grab has taken it to another level in both diversity of choices and price value as they almost always have code promotions worth 100 baht off. 

I have mentioned before a huge factor for my attraction to Grab is that as someone without a private vehicle, they offer access to restaurants I would either rarely or in the case of the dark side NEVER go to otherwise.

Casa Espana as it's located on the dark side is a perfect example of that.

I will mention all the food items from there have arrived hot enough to not even think about warming them up. Even rather surprisingly the fried squid and deep fried croquettes.

Sometimes you do get deliveries that are too slow and it's best to warm them up and of course that does mean not getting optimal food. 

Of course your location matters a lot too. Casa Espana it turns out is close enough to inner Jomtien to get their food served hot. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Too bad that you think that.

For me the FOOD has always been the most important thing.

I have never ever suggested there are any strict parameters on what people can post here as long as it's related in some way to Pattaya area restaurants.

If the food is delivered on Grab locally, it's from a local restaurant (unless it's one of those non restaurant suppliers). 

If you don't think my posts here have value, you are welcome to put me on Ignore.

Bye.

I know TaaSaparot/ChangFai posting style well....He is mostly a good guy but seems to need to stir up a little S <deleted> on occasion...Its just best to ignore the S <deleted> stiring...

Edited by fforest1
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, hackjam said:

Went to Casa Espana a few weeks ago, actually spoke with lady owner, pleasant lady. Turned out we had a mutual friend in Spain. 

Anyway, we had several tapas dishes and overall, were good and well priced.

From memory, prawns -Gambas-were good, mussels average, papa bravas good, meatballs good.

Will head back soon and try the paella, someone on facebook gave it a good review.

And, thanks for the tip, will bring a small sachet of olive oil, regularly bring to Thai seafood places anyway.

Restaurant is nothing fancy, suspect low rent, would not sit outside-too close to busy road but comfortable enough inside.

Great. I really enjoyed the spicy sauce on the mussels. If you go back there could you ask them to offer a cook with olive oil option for the dishes where that would be authentic and appropriate? For an extra fee of course. They could add menu items on Grab to reflect. Such as tortilla Espanol (regular) as one item and tortilla Espanol cooked with olive oil (special). Also why not add paella to the Grab menu?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Great. I really enjoyed the spicy sauce on the mussels. If you go back there could you ask them to offer a cook with olive oil option for the dishes where that would be authentic and appropriate? For an extra fee of course. They could add menu items on Grab to reflect. Such as tortilla Espanol (regular) as one item and tortilla Espanol cooked with olive oil (special). Also why not add paella to the Grab menu?

A tortilla should always be cooked in olive oil.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I know TaaSaparot/ChangFai posting style well....He is mostly a good guy but seems to need to stir up a little S <deleted> on occasion...Its just best to ignore the S <deleted> stiring...

Rather than name call, go to the first page and read what the OP wrote, and also note how many times over the years, he has pulled up other BM's for not sticking to his guidelines for the thread.

Edited by TaaSaparot

4 hours ago, hackjam said:

Last night, ended up at Dolce Vita, its located in Boystown Jomtien. 

Yeah I have eaten there a few times. I found it serviceable. Nothing to really praise OR complain about. For Greek food, I would suggest El Greco but there is some noise out there that they might be having issues managing two locations now (the original on Soi Bongkat and the luxury food court at the Pattaya Central Festival mall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone I won't name may have a cow but I'm going to mention some more GRAB FOOD DELIVERY experiences (get used to it) as for me like so many people in Pattaya and globally, food delivery from restaurants is now a really big thing. If you haven't noticed, the Grab food drivers are everywhere. Might they be the biggest employer in town? Go to a mall and watch them en masse there grabbing orders from mall restaurants. 

In a not so recent post I had asserted a contrarian opinion that I liked the GRAB Indian food from Raj Indian restaurant better than from the expat popular Masala Twist.

Well, I've changed my opinion!

I had some fails at Masala Twist on their dal tadka but I took a chance and found they have improved.

Some other dishes that I like there include the mackerel fish tandoor, vegetable curry, and the onion nan. I find some of their curries too thin.

Some dishes I prefer from Raj include their dal maharani and more hard to find their tandoor cauliflower (called phool).

Overall though I now prefer Masala Twist and also the prices are lower! But I really like that phool at Raj.

Both places can be visited IRL. Raj on Pattaya Tai block near beach road and Masala Twist on Jomtien 2nd road. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If you haven't noticed, the Grab food drivers are everywhere. Might they be the biggest employer in town? 

Good to hear that you are still getting out and about.

Grab food drivers, yes are very noticeable in Pattaya now, especially how they act on the roads, and their total disregard for driving laws.

Does make me laugh when I see newspaper articles that mention Grabs attempts at legality.

• Like 1

Last week, paid a visit to one of my favorite places in Pattaya, A La Turca, at Central.

Been on the go since Central opened and I go 3 or 4 times a year, never disappoints.

Wine was ok, service always quick and decent, friendly.

thumbnail_IMG_0417.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0589.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0590.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0591.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As most Pattaya locals have no doubt already noticed, there is a Covid-19 sea change actively going on here. Restaurants closing, permanently or temporarily with no set opening date. Conversions to take out and delivery only. If still open being forced to space tables out. I have no problem with any of that from a public health POV but it does change the restaurant scene here significantly.

As I've already indicated, "reviews" about takeout and delivery restaurant food are more than welcome here, more now than ever.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

Hotel restaurants are still available to guests

I'm sure if you visit them they won't scrutinize your guest status too closely

Does the typical fine-dinning place now offer take out menu? or do they close altogether 

I'm in Bangkok now, even some famous michelin starred place are now offering takeout